iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strawberries

Started by Magicman, March 05, 2024, 06:59:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, the Ponchatoula, Louisiana Strawberries are starting to be available in our area:

IMG_5290.JPG
We got a half flat for now which we divided and will get more later.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I have been slicing them into my morning cereal and tonight I decided to:

IMG_5296~0.JPG

Yup, slice a couple into a bowl of Ice Cream.  My presentation was off because the IC ended up on top of the slices, so I sorta mixed it up and no one knows except us.  food6
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Your dessert looks mighty tasty.  :thumbsup:

Nothing beats a local strawberry. Winter strawberries we see up here in stores from a far are no good at all. No juice and no taste and half green and hard.  smiley_thumbsdown

I like Laurie McLellan's berries, the juice runs down your chin and the flavour....mmmm

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

NewYankeeSawmill

Industrious folks are grabbing trailers of them and heading north for profit!
Almost choked at what they wanted for a single quart basket... but then again, it was picked THAT morning and driven to me, guess there's a price to pay for that!  ffcool
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

Magicman

Our Ponchatoula, Louisiana Strawberries are famous here and a much awaited delight.  Ponchatoula is about 100 miles South of here.  Soon the fruit market will display it's Ponchatoula sign and we will have umbrella vendors on the roadsides.

Louisiana provides us with Crawfish as well is the Strawberries in the Spring.  food6

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JD Guy

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2024, 08:43:34 AMOur Ponchatoula, Louisiana Strawberries are famous here and a much awaited delight.  Ponchatoula is about 100 miles South of here.  Soon the fruit market will display it's Ponchatoula sign and we will have umbrella vendors on the roadsides.

Louisiana provides us with Crawfish as well is the Strawberries in the Spring.  food6
Can't think of anything better than a crawfish boil and strawberries and ice cream for dessert. Drooling 🤤

Magicman

Add Gumbo and it's no wonder that "Louisiana Coonasses" have a well earned reputation for good cooking/eating.

JD Guy

Quote from: Magicman on March 08, 2024, 01:05:59 PMAdd Gumbo and it's no wonder that "Louisiana Coonasses" have a well earned reputation for good cooking/eating.
I may have said this before but among other places we lived in both Shreveport and Mandeville LA about 40 years ago😁. I sure do miss all of the seafood and Cajun food we enjoyed and cooked while there. Just can't find anything like it here in upstate SC. We can make some outstanding smoked meats though!

SwampDonkey

What I miss here is wild caught Atlantic salmon with rod and reel. If you've ate one of those you wouldn't touch that farm raised fish with a 50 foot pole.  ffcheesy

thecfarm

Have to wait for July for the strawberries here.
I leave about 15 minutes from a you pick place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Well the snow does  have to melt first.  ffcheesy
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SwampDonkey

With floating fabric you can get strawberries in early June, late May some springs. Laurie starts picking in late June in her berries, no fabric. One of those pictures on her FB site was the end of June.

Stephen1

We now get hot house strawberries grown in Ontario, very similar price to what the send from California, that are mostly white, with a red outer ,but way better tasting. They are red all the way through!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

SwampDonkey

For a brief time they used to send some decent ones up from Florida in the winter. I haven't seen one in years. Mother bought some from California the other day, I noticed them out in the yard on the ground yesterday morning. The crows have never touched them. That outta tell ya something. :D

Rhodemont

While the kids were very young we used to go pick strawberries in the spring at a local farm.  One year I decided why not grow strawberries in our garden.  Did not work out too well two years trying.  We go pick at the farm.  Gosh they are good!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

Jeff

I'm excited for this year as my patch I planted last year grew so well. Cant wait to see what they do.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 09, 2024, 03:19:50 PM.... The crows have never touched them. That outta tell ya something. :D
It tells me your crows aren't very smart. ffcheesy ffcheesy
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Well at least one wasn't, the old crow that bought them, then tossed them. ffcheesy

SwampDonkey

Used to grow some here myself. Dad grew some to sell years ago, could sell them as fast as he could pick them. Mostly folks from Maine buying them. One year I thinned mine out and bound them into bunches, put them in bags, and froze them in the old freezer we had in the basement. They were there 3 years. I finally remembered about them, planted them one spring and they grew just fine. A number of years ago I decided I like berries where I can stand and pick them. A raspberry patch, I can pick from all day long. That's what I've been growing for years. Those and grapes. I'm still drinking juice from all the raspberries and grapes, plus 2 years worth of jam and jelly to go through. Been eating jam every day, have hardly made a dent. I still have 8 bottles of juice, including one bottle of rhubarb juice left. Rhubarb is probably my favorite juice, and it has way less sugar than soda pop. I like to taste the fruit, not sugar.  Raspberry juice is my next favorite. Raspberries make a lot of juice. We had over 60 quarts of raspberries last summer from 3 - 12 foot rows. :thumbsup:

Rhodemont

Our rhubarb is poking through.  Wont be long and some pie!!!!!
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

B.C.C. Lapp

Lynn your ice cream looks delicious.    We have a strawberry patch as well but the last few seasons were so wet we had to fight the slugs for every berry we picked.
I agree with Rhodemont. Rhubarb pie is a favorite but rhubarb and apple or rhubarb and strawberry pie even tastier.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Mooseherder

These were from Goughan Berry Farm in between Caribou and Fort Fairfield, Me last summer.  I said that is the best Strawberry I ever had, then I ate another and said the same thing. ffsmiley

SwampDonkey

That fellow on the top of the hill outside of the Fort, on the way to Presque Isle, is a relative of my mother, if he's alive now. A bunch of spruce around it. Haven't been by there in years, probably 13 anyway. I come from the other end and I have not been up to Presque Isle more than twice in 4 years now.   On the Fort road out side of Perth-Andover used to be Everett's berries. Everyone near there in Maine and Perth Andover area used to flock in there for berries. Long gone now. A lot of berry farms are long gone.

Mooseherder

I know they've had a hard time getting people to work the last few years and scaled back to what they could manage.
There's a big blueberry farm down the road along the river also. 

Thank You Sponsors!