iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying logs

Started by True North, February 26, 2010, 03:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True North

I am running into a fair number of people who want a variety of lengths cut mainly in cedar. I have a good stock of 8' logs, but no longer stuff. When I looked into buying longer logs, I was told that I would have to pay 50% more (per bf scale) for anything over 8'.  Same for wider logs. Is this common that the longer/wider stuff is that much more expensive. It is making it difficult to price lumber so that it is still appealing to customers. Am I going to have to go into the logging bus. and cut my own logs too?  :) Any thoughts?

Jeff

Yep, sure is, especially with cedar. Its harder to come by, and more expensive to truck. It takes exceptional cedar to make long logs because the nature of the trees. Shorter and heavily tapered as a rule.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I was just looking at some lumber prices in our Market Bulletin.  14' was twice as much as 10', and 16' was 2 1/2 times higher.  As Jeff said, good long cedar logs are hard to come by.  Of course, I was looking at ERC, but you get the picture.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brucer

Same applies to WRC in the interior of BC. May be different on the coast, as their trees are much bigger.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!