iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

USGS topo map questions

Started by caveman, November 13, 2023, 10:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

#22.  What does the long dash with the short dash repeated, that the arrow is pointing to indicate?
#23.  1320'= ________ Chains
#24.  If a rectangular tract is 20 chains x 40 chains, how many acres is the tract?
#25.  If planting pines on the tract above (#24), how many trees will be needed if planting on a 6'x10' spacing?
Caveman

beenthere

22 county line
23 20 chains
24  80 acre
25  58,080
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

caveman

Beenthere beat everyone to the punch.  Good job!  I had originally done it with a tract that would have been 60 acres (20 ch x 30 ch) but that would have resulted in 43560 trees, which could have been confusing since that is the number of square feet in an acre.
Caveman

SwampDonkey

A chain is the width of all mapped crown reserved roads up this way. 66 feet, which is roughly 20 meters. These are rights of way to property that were surveyed back in the day. Most of them are not even marked in the woods. I've seen some being marked down the middle sometimes, they (woodlot owner) don't own to the middle.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sod saw

SwampDonkey,   A 66 foot wide road is 4 rods wide.

Many of our roads down here are 3 rods wide.  49.5 feet wide seems like a weird number until one realizes that is how the roads were laid out many years ago when metal rods were actually used for measurement. 

Mount Everest was surveyed using a Rod made of metal that was shaded by natives who carried umbrellas to keep the sun off so it would not expand and contract as it warmed and cooled, throwing off its length.  When satellite measurements were recently used it was noted that those first early surveys using metal rods were only off by some feet near the top.

Before those times fish were the common unit of measurement in old deeds and survey maps.  (I have to wonder what species of fish were used as the common size.   :D  )

I have a small chart, on the wall near my drafting table, with those conversions because I can not remember them all.

LT 40 hyd.          Solar Kiln.          Misc necessary toys.
It's extremely easy to make things complicated, but very difficult to keep things simple.

caveman

#26.  How many links are in a Gunter's Chain (chain)?
#27.  How long is a link?_________"
#28.  How many rolls of barbed wire would it take to put up a five-strand perimeter fence around a standard section?              (A lot of you keep cattle and I assume you know how long a roll of wire is).
Caveman

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Yup, and 4 rods = 1 chain. They are 66 foot right of ways up here.

This link only talks about crown lands (public land) because it's an NRED site. Same applies to CRR crossing private land. CRR are owned by the government anyway. The link also makes this statement about cases where they are disposed (sold off). "The Minister can dispose of CRRs not required to provide access to Crown Lands and resources, or private lands" . Then, "In order to apply for the disposal of a Crown Reserved Road you must be an adjacent landowner of the Crown Reserved Road."

Crown Lands - Reserved Roads
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Machinebuilder

Interesting, Where I grew up in Marilla, NY there is a 2 Rod road, a 3 Rod road and a 4 Rod road.

I remember hearing that they were named after surveying things.
Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

caveman

Beenthere got #'s 26, 27 and 28.  A link is .66' or 7.92".  

Caveman

caveman

29.  Identify the the two black symbols near the top of the picture. ______and _________
30.  What do the ovals represent on a map?
31.  What do the diagonal crosses represent?
32.  Explain the difference between a large cemetery and a landing strip.
33.  What do the two, 2nd from the bottom indicate on a map?
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

29. School and church
30. A paved race track an a dirt track  :D
31. Air field - paved and dirt?
32. One has more bodies buried in it.
33. Camping ( or a reservation) and a picnic area.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

caveman

Right on.  The landing strip looks about like a large cemetery except is lacking CEM.  

Caveman

caveman

34.  What does the 3rd one down represent?
        35.  "                   " 5th one down represent?
        36.  "                    "  7th one down represent?
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

34. Year round creek/stream
35. Bigger stream/river - boatable?
36. Rapids/Swift water river
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

caveman

Look at #34 closely, #35 is a perennial river, #36 first mark is small falls and second is small rapids.
Caveman

customsawyer

This came across my one of my Facebook groups the other day. I sent it to caveman and he asked that I put it on here. Rather elementary for what he's asking on here.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

Thanks, Customsawyer.  Also, we are still awaiting a correct answer for #34.
Caveman

clearcut

Carbon sequestered upon request.

caveman

Clearcut got it.   smiley_hollywood_cool
Caveman

caveman

Look at the third one down.  It looks a bit like a disappearing stream, but it is not blue.
37.  What is it?
Cedarman ought to be all over this one. 
Caveman

Treefarm1

The symbol is "Mine tunnel or cave entrance." I didn't recognize it either, but I have never seen a cave or mine entrance on the areas I've been with a topo map.

I'm a retired service forester in Wisconsin. Lots of air photos and digital topo maps are available on many of the county GIS websites here in Wisconsin and I suspect elsewhere too. For many years the primary air photos I used were from the Farm Service Agency.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/TopographicMapSymbols/topomapsymbols.pdf

Texas Ranger

Welcome aboard Treefarm1 from another retired forester, although a consultant and in Texas!
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!