iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally-My new mill

Started by woodworker9, October 31, 2014, 10:53:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Quote from: barbender on November 01, 2014, 12:52:40 AM
Congratulations on a fine mill! On the debarker, you don't need to move the head. You just need to put your power feed in the forward position and turn the debarker switch on. Your debarker should come on, along with the safety alarm that goes with it. For your fuel issue, I would use another tank or set yours up so it can gravity feed, what I am getting at is you need to establish that you have unimpeded fuel flow getting to the engine. There's no sense rebuilding a carb when it could be a blocked fuel line in the tank. I've seen CARB compliant fuel tanks behave like yours, the cap vents are bad and the tank will vacuum lock. They run for a minute, and die like you turned the switch off. I would think a carb or fuel pump issue would cause a consistent rough running issue, if it runs great and then just shuts down, you have a restriction somewhere. Good luck!

I was going to make these exact same comments until I saw barbender's post.  I think he nailed it.  When you put the feed in forward, just turn the speed dial all the way to zero.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

scully

Very nice mill ! I would look at the breakers and press them to reset . The fuel problem sound minor but I don't have any better suggestions than what have allready been given .
I bleed orange  .

Sawyer697

Could you have a fuel line that has a small hole in the line some where, possible Kink. Try some thing simple first. A line clamp?
Beautiful Mill, and all the goodies. You will love sawing Logs with this mill! 8)
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

FarmingSawyer

Another thing to consider is that DanG ethanol in the gas..... If a carb sits with it for any length of time small holes plug up and diaphrams get brittle......I've had that problem on my mill before sitting over the winter..... took the carb off, backed out all the needle valves and flushed everything out. Worked like a champ afterwards. Now I put marine grade additive in all my fuel and if I know I'm leaving the mill for more than a few days I shut the fuel line off and run the carb out of fuel.
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

woodworker9

I have great news to report.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

But first, the not so great news.  I have to say that it truly amazes me how people can afford to buy a $30K mill ($32,700 if built today....I checked) and not have the common sense to ensure that the proper maintenance gets done correctly, if being done by somebody other than themselves, and that it gets taken care of.

Here's what I found, after dedicating today to getting this problem solved.  I decided to just take everything apart, and it was a good thing I did.  After removing the air cleaner and the plastic body off the motor front, you just wouldn't believe what I found.  There were two completely compacted mice nests jammed inside around the heads, as well as everywhere else with an open space.  The mice also chewed through the ground wire from the carb to the motor block.  It wasn't the first time this had happened, because the PO had done a half-assed repair to the same wire by splicing in a 3" section of small wire and twisting it to the other two pieces.  I mean....come on!!!!  The wire was only 8" long to begin with.  I removed it, and replaced it with a sealed connectors.  I also had to replace one of the two coil wires from the wiring harness.  It powered the coil on the operators side cylinder, and the motor was running on one cylinder before, which explains a lot.  The plug, when pulled, was soaken wet with fuel and completely carbonized over.

So, here's what I did:

I removed everything.  Replaced all the wires with new, heavier gauge wiring and sealed connectors.  I cleaned the coils.
Replaced both sparkplugs.
Replaced air cleaner.  Old one was just filled with mice crap, oil, and barn fodder and hay.
Replaced fuel pump and all fuel lines.
Drained oil......PO had 3 quarts of oil in the motor.....it only takes 2 quarts.  I replaced it with Amsoil synthetic.....just 2 quarts. :)  And a Kohler filter, also.
Removed quick connector from fuel tank line.  PO had used 3/8" fuel line to add it, and rest of system is 1/4" fuel line.  I didn't want to take a chance.  I'll find a new connector with the proper size fittings.

I got everything tightened up and back together, and fired the mill up.  She sputtered and spewed some nasty looking smoke for about 10 seconds, and then starting purring.  I let it warm up for about 5 minutes on low idle, and then engaged the big lever, which fires everything up (Don't know what its called yet).

The mill ran awesome for a good 15 minutes before I disengaged the throttle and blades.  I swear, I was so happy I danced an Irish jig all the way around the mill.  My wife thinks I'm nuts. :D :D

Proceeded on to the debarker.  My first clue that an idiot was working on this mill was that the control panel, where all the controls are, including the hour meter, was re-installed upside down.  Yep, I'm not kidding.   Pulled out the screws and looked inside.......the debarker ground wire was not connected at all to the switch/fuse inside.  I connected it, checked all the wiring with my meter to make sure all was good, and fired up the mill again.

The debarker works just like it's supposed to. 

I am a very happy man.  Thanks to everybody in this forum for all the tips and support.  I plan on leaning on you guys heavily in the future as I learn how to mill again with a bandmill.  It's been 14 years, and the last mill I used was all manual.

Jeff, I'm gonna hit that little paypal button on the bottom left side of the forum page.  Thanks for hosting us....and thanks for everything I'm still learning.

Jeff
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

Now you know where to look for the mouse nests the next time you walk away from the mill for a day or two. Those guys can really do some damage. The lever to engage everything is the clutch lever.

Some friends of mine bought a '92 LT40 manual that had only run a resaw since new. The second owner was going to saw logs, but didn't have time. He burned up a Z fuse, didn't see the spares inside the box, and used a piece of 14 awg wire to jump the posts and didn't tell us. We started using the mill and burned up the feed motor because it couldn't get enough juice through the wire, which eventually melted.  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

Mice have an affinity for WM mills for some reason. I have a deep dislike for mice :-[
Too many irons in the fire

AnthonyW

Quote from: barbender on November 01, 2014, 06:15:04 PM
Mice have amn affinity for WM mills for some reason. I have a deep dislike for mice :-[

Don't forget the wasps and bees. Is it the color?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Dave Shepard

Mice have an affinity for being anywhere they shouldn't. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Congrats on the repairs, and thanks for reporting back.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunz

On the old(sold) manual mill in my avatar, I had a nest in the same place you described. Those puppies had chewed right though a ground wire for my fuel pump. Was an easier diagnosis for me because I was getting absolutely no fuel..... Glad you got her all wrapoed up and working! You are gonna absolutely love that Woodmizer, to say I'm proud of my lt35 is a slight understatement.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

GAB

woodworker9:
Like MM said thanks for the report.
I, for one, would of never guessed that you had that many educational opportunities presented to you at one time.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

terrifictimbersllc

Glad to hear you figured it all out. 

Sprinkle or blow in red pepper periodically,  wherever you don't want mice, it works.  I got myself 5 pounds for $30 off the internet. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

woodworker9

Thanks to everyone for the support and words of encouragement.  This is my 2nd go-round with mice inside a small motor.  I had a similar problem with the motor of a concrete mixer about 10 years ago that sat for a couple of years unused.  The mice moved right in, and when I (finally) went to use the machine, I couldn't even pull the pull cord, it was locked up so tight.  At least on that one there was no wiring harness to eat.  Just a quick cleanup.

I can't wait to get a log on the mill, but I've got to finish a screen porch re-build on our house that is 75% finished.  The wife made me promise not to get sidetracked.....I hate when I make promises like that!  I'm a man of my word.......

I know it'll bore the heck out of all you veterans of milling, but I'll be posting pics of the first boards to come off the mill.  Sadly, the EAB has become deeply entrenched in this area, and I've lost several nice, old ash trees on the property.  Time to take em' down and make some lumber.  Ash is an excellent wood for workbenches, and I'm sure I'll find some other uses for it to......perhaps as interior walls for my workshop, which is still (sadly after 14 years) showing insulation paper.  Not very attractive to look at. :-\
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Thank You Sponsors!