The Forestry Forum

General Forestry => Ask The Forester => Topic started by: Chase2019 on October 27, 2019, 11:27:19 AM

Title: Advice for a newbie!
Post by: Chase2019 on October 27, 2019, 11:27:19 AM
Good Morning, I am looking for some advise on where to start. Background… About 20 years ago, my grandfather was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and a local logger said we needed to thin out our place(basically throwing out the management plan he had in place.) The thinning was more of a clear cut on both hardwoods and pines. After the cutting, we were advised “natural reforestation” was our best bet. Fast forward 20 years, the pines about 8” DBH, stacked so tight, they are dying. Not trying to bash the logger or anyone just want to get the property in shape for the next 50 years and my kids. It appears we need to clear the land and replant. It is roughly 180 acres in SE Oklahoma. It would be ideal to produce a profit from the land in about 25-30 years. Do I replant pines, hybrid sweetgums, hardwoods? Any idea on cost to clear, replant, and maintain the trees? Are these cost still deductible on taxes? Would you do it all in one year or drag it 3-4 years for tax purposes? Does anyone have any forestry consultants that work this market they would recommend? Basically, if it was your property what would you do? Sorry for the long post.
Title: Re: Advice for a newbie!
Post by: Ron Scott on October 27, 2019, 07:32:45 PM
Seek out the services of a professional consulting forester serving your area and have the management plan for the property updated or revised to meet your management objectives.

You may want to contact the Association of Consulting Foresters, Inc. at to locate a consulting forester serving your area.
Title: Re: Advice for a newbie!
Post by: Okefenokee_D on October 27, 2019, 08:59:22 PM
The first question is: How many acres of pine and hardwood do you have?

The second question is: How is the timber industry there in SE Oklahoma?

The third question is: How has the wood prices been for the past several years?

Generally, your State's Forestry agency will have a forester who can come out and give you advice and potentially set you up a Stewardship plan as well as seeing if any grants are open up for you.

Oklahoma Forestry Services (