iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Something you might find handy on your clearing saw harness.

Started by SwampDonkey, April 06, 2021, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I just got one of these Fin made Savotta vertical pockets for my Husqvarna clearing saw harness. More details in the video. Not an endorsement of any kind. Handy for first aid, ansil pack and file. They have larger models so more room for a bottle of water. I usually have my water jug on my trail and I cut my trail out as I work forward and the width of my work area (strip). My harness happens to have a pouch for ansil pack, so I could put a 1/2 litre bottle of water in the pocket. Some guys work a strip length ways in and out so a water bottle and file is handy to have in the pocket for them more than myself because I'm usually near my gear. But we need first aid on us, so this will do the job. It is very well made and good material. I included a link to where I got it. But they have them in the US as well. I like well made stuff, I don't have to replace it all the time. ;)

Savotta Pocket used as a thinning harness pouch for first aid kit and blade file. - YouTube
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thriceor

That's a great idea.  I've always struggled with carrying water.  I never thought about putting a molle pouch on the harness.
...I'd rather trust a man who works with his hands,
He looks at you once, you know he understands...

Genesis- "The Chamber of 32 Doors"

lxskllr

What do you do for fuel? I usually wear a backpack while brushcutting. I find it's easier to just stick a gas can in that, rather than carry one, and have to hunt down where I left it. I'll also sometimes clip my 2511t to the pack strap, and it hangs off my left side. Good for cutting bigger stuff. Anyway, I'll put water in the pack, along with the tools and stuff necessary for the machines, and any other stuff I might need.

SwampDonkey

@lxskllr we cut in 40-50 m wide strips and cut walking trails between strips as we go. When I was cutting on my own ground I used a skid or scarification trail for my point of reference so my gas jug and tools was on that trail as I worked down the strip. Helps judge how much ground you cover, 40 m x 100 m long is an acre. Our strips can be 600 m deep, but mostly 200-300 m. Nice to walk out on a trail and not climb brush. It's an agreed to work standard up this way on crews. A full backpack adds too much weight for me, I cut all day 8 hrs. I'll empty a 1 gallon gas jug a day. When I ran a 560 I used 1-1/2 gallons a day, she loves gas. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

lxskllr

I don't use anything for bugs. Manually remove them if seen. Had an engorged tick on my back a couple years ago. Pretty gross. Couldn't get to it, so I had to scrape it off my back with a knife.

mike_belben

Yea thats not an option here.. Id look like someone taped brown jelly beans all over me the 3rd week of spring. 
Praise The Lord

lxskllr

D^:

We have isolated pockets of tick havens like that, but fortunately, I'm seldom in them. I find about a dozen in the average year, and maybe 25% of those have started burrowing.

mike_belben

Ill pick n flick several hundred and dig out an avg of 30 per household member annually with the exception of my indoorsy/@work all the time wife, maybe 5 off her.

The spoiled dog is the only one whos got a pill for the dang things!
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Quite rare for ticks here. I've seen 2 wood ticks up this way, but lots of them in southern NS. Never seen a deer tick though. We have them some places up here, but I never had any. I don't wear any bug dope. I wear a mosquito netting over my head and a neoprene neck warmer pulled under it. Need that to keep the deer flies from chewing in under the hard hat. They can chew through a shirt. I just keep moving and let the fir bows swat them off. When it turns hot the black flies are gone, just early morning mosquitoes. Hot sun drives them away to.  ;D

mike_belben

I am glad that we dont really have a gnat and skeeter issue to rival say florida or places ive been in the NE.  Its lonestar and chigger mania and a bit of asian tiger mosquito which carries some kinda funk and gives my boy itchy welts.. Man those bites itch bad.  But they tend to swarm in at sunset seasonally and i just wrap it up if theyre heavy.

Theres a short burst of some sorta gnat every year but it doesnt last too long.  Lots of wasps and giant hornets all summer but they havent really been bothersome to me other than wood boring and the wife doing a cartwheel across the house to run away from any of them.  Stinkbugs and lady beetles a more prevalent invader to flick out of your pockets, cabinets, windowsills all year.
Praise The Lord

John Mc

I've switched to mainly wearing tick repellent clothing. Some I spray myself with a solution of 1/2% permethrin. Spray it on, let it dry, and it lasts through about 5 washes. Here is the stuff I use: Amazon.com : JT Eaton 209-W1G Kills Bedbugs, Ticks and Mosquitoes Water Based Spray with Sprayer Attachment, 1-Gallon : Insect Repellents : Garden & Outdoor

Note that in it's liquid form, it's toxic to cats (they are one of he few mamals that lack an enzyme to metabolize it). Once dried, it is not an issue - My cat regularly sleeps on my treated clothes without issue.

Something I like even better is the factory pre-treated clothing (also permethrin based). It's supposed to last though something like 70 washes - by that time, my clothing is nearing the end of it's life anyway (if it's still in one piece, it gets demoed to work on the tractor or antique truck clothing). I like it because I don't even have to think about it - no worries about "when was the last time I sprayed this.

The treatment is called "Insect Shield" - there are probably some competing treatments around. I have a number of their short sleeve and long-sleeve T shirts, and a couple pairs of pants. you can find their clothing here: https://www.insectshield.com/  Their pants and T-shirts work well. The ripstop pants are somewhat lighter weight, so good in hot weather or under chaps. They are not cheap, but they do have sales regularly. I recently stocked back up when they had a 30% off promotion on pants. 10 and 20% off sales seem fairly common as well. They'll also usually send along some sort of coupon in the box when you order.

Stay away from the socks sold directly by Insect Shield. I've tried a couple styles and they just do NOT hold up. I had holes in them after the 2nd or 3rd washing.

For some even lighter weight pants, I would some by Gamehide that are my favorites for working in hot weather or under chaps - very light weight, and quick drying: They are expensive but I'm happy with my pair: Amazon.com : Gamehide Elimitick Ultra-lite Field Pant : Clothing

The best socks I've found came on a tip from someone here on the Forestry Forum. Farm to Feet brand "No Fly Zone" socks. They are lighter weight wool socks and seem to last forever. They are what I put on these days anytime I'm working in the woods during tick season. Amazon.com : Farm to Feet Men's Boulder No Fly Zone Lightweight Hiking Merino Wool Crew : Clothing
Make sure you order the "No Fly Zone" socks. They make other styles, but they are not treated for ticks.

I still put DEET or Picardin on exposed skin. Lyme disease is very prevalent in ticks here, and others are on the rise. My brother has had a couple of bouts of Lyme disease, and was hospitalized for about a week with Anaplasmosis. A cousin was wheelchair bound due to Lyme for an extended time (they missed it: even though there were several indicators of Lyme, it did not rise to the number of indicator for the CDC to consider it Lyme, so the tests were deemed negative. She went untreated for years.)

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

SwampDonkey

Boss says we're hit'n the bushes next week. I'll be marking out for awhile. I've got 650 acres of maps to layout. :D

Thank You Sponsors!