iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 404 log skidder project

Started by Aussielogger65, August 26, 2020, 03:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussielogger65

Hi all long time no talk but wondering if anyone else on here has had much to do with the 404 model timberjack skidders? Just picked this old girl up, few leaks bit of play in everything, needs tyres and sheet metal work but otherwise everything works and it has a neat tilt blade. Ps I've added a couple pictures of my last timberjack that I restored 1966 225c which after said restoration had a slight accident....

Timberjack5

Gday Aussielogger
Nice lot of photos there.
What did you do with the 225 after the accident mate?

Timberjack5

There's fellas on here that know a lot more than I do but the 404's run GM motors in a few different sizes with Allison auto. You might have read this ( attached Link ) but if you haven't there is a lot of info about timber jack in Australia. The tilt blade was a factory accessory that was very popular in Au. I've got an old neighbour who has had a lot of gear, a good few dozers, a clever bloke on the welder n tools. He had a 404 and they were pulling big long 100ft logs up a long ridge out of Killarney gorge, another bloke was on a Cat D6B with a winch, Rod said that the 404 was doing 2 trips for every one trip the dozer did. He also said the 404 would push just as much dirt as the D6B.
https://www.ngclark.com.au/centenary-bulletin-8-the-timberjack-story/

Aussielogger65

Hi mate we fixed the brakes properly ran it for a while then sold it which I wish I never had was a bloody good little machine. I've read the ng Clarke history very interesting that is, funny I should've renamed this post as I've later found out my skidder is in fact not a 404 it is a mid 70s 360 same running gear as the 404 but different frame with blade mounts on the main frame not the cradle, although due to having tilt blade they've mounted it off the cradle 

Timberjack5

Where abouts in Nsw are you mate, those photos look a bit northern nsw. I grew up at Kyogle.

Thank You Sponsors!