iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Natural Bounty, Pecans

Started by Magicman, December 03, 2011, 09:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I spent a little time picking up pecans today and finished filling this 5 gallon bucket before I quit.  Looks like we will get about 3 buckets this year.   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

CHARLIE

I love pecans (correct pronunciatioin: Pee Can). Sure wish I had a tree in my backyard, but I imagine it would freeze.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

SwampDonkey

Those look beautiful. Love pecans for the flavor, not quite a butternut, but a good nut. :) Folks in NC (or was it SC?) used to bring sackfulls of pecans off the plantation to my grandparents.  8) It's been years ago now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Quote from: CHARLIE on December 03, 2011, 11:11:54 PM
(correct pronunciatioin: Pee Can).

No, that is what we put under our bed at night to keep from having to go outside.

The correct "Southern" pronunciation: Puhcon.  (one word)   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

I believe they have a hybrid between pecan and hickory that will grow in the northern states. Speaking of pecans, going to make another one of those Jack Daniels dark chocolate pecan pie today.

Chris Burchfield

This year I picked up a Duke rolling nut harvester at the hardware store.  Really does a good job.  I picked up 27 gallons this year.  Gave mom a five gallon bucket, I already cracked.  Makes for easy shelling after they dry for two to four weeks.  I paid $23. for the roller at the hardware store.  It'll pick up about a quart before you have to empty it.  This is the link for Duke's:  http://www.yardlover.com/duke-pecan-roller-nut-harvester
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Yoopersaw

Quote from: Kansas on December 04, 2011, 09:04:33 AM
I believe they have a hybrid between pecan and hickory that will grow in the northern states. Speaking of pecans, going to make another one of those Jack Daniels dark chocolate pecan pie today.

Do you have a recipe for the pie?

Jeff

Quote from: Chris Burchfield on December 04, 2011, 09:18:38 AM
This year I picked up a Duke rolling nut harvester at the hardware store.  Really does a good job.  I picked up 27 gallons this year.  Gave mom a five gallon bucket, I already cracked.  Makes for easy shelling after they dry for two to four weeks.  I paid $23. for the roller at the hardware store.  It'll pick up about a quart before you have to empty it.  This is the link for Duke's:  http://www.yardlover.com/duke-pecan-roller-nut-harvester

NOW A WORD FOR OUR SPONSOR!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Quote from: Magicman on December 04, 2011, 08:53:55 AM
Quote from: CHARLIE on December 03, 2011, 11:11:54 PM
(correct pronunciatioin: Pee Can).

No, that is what we put under our bed at night to keep from having to go outside.

The correct "Southern" pronunciation: Puhcon.  (one word)   ;D

Magicman, that is a Missouri and points north pronunciation.  In the Deep South, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi it is pronounced PeeCan by genuine southerners, but there are some that have infiltrated the Deep South and brought the misproununciation with them. :D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

The only person I ever heard call them "Pee cans" was an aunt from Illinois.

We had no crop this year, I suppose due to the drought.  We usually get gallons of the things off 3 trees at the office.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

beenthere

And it may be Charlie's been influenced silently by the Norwegians in Minneesota. :D  Ya, you betcha!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I've been known to use both pronunciations, 'puh cons' and .pee cans'. Don't matter much to me. I do love to eat 'em, no matter what you want to call them. Some of the hickory nuts here look just like pecans, but don't taste quite as good. Not as sweet. I haven't seen any pecan trees around here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tyb525

I just compromise and say 'pee cons' ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

CHARLIE

Tom would tell you it is pronounced PeeCan. He and I had a huge discussion over this one time when we were sitting outside grilling steaks (His steaks look more like roasts to me) and sipping on some Jack. People that call PahCons probably call a 'mater a Tahmahtoe. ;D
Charlie

SwampDonkey

Well, I'm some glad I'm far enough north that I speak southern. :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodwalker

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 04, 2011, 01:29:17 PM
We had no crop this year, I suppose due to the drought. 
I bought 5#'s outside of Crockett the other week, $4.00 a pound in the shell.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

CHARLIE

It really doesn't matter what ya call 'em. They are sooooo good.  I think a pecan grove is a beautiful thing to see. 
Charlie

WDH

I am with Ty.  Always called them "pee cons".  I have 17 trees, but they did not produce well this year because it did not rain for 8 weeks this spring.  My sister makes the best "pee con" pie that you can imagine.  She always brings me one over for Christmas. 

Where I live is pecan country.  Orchards are a big thing.  BTW Jake, that pecan we cut earlier this year should be getting air dry in the next month or so, the 4/4 at least.  Pecan lumber is beautiful, but a challenge to work with because it is so DanG hard  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Growing up, Pecan crops were a mainstay of our family's "economy".  Lean Pecan years meant lean school clothes years, and a lean Christmas.  Every day after school it was Pecan bucket time.

The tenant farm families picked them up on the "halves".  By November, all crops were in, so Pecan gathering was a serious income producer for them also.

Danny, I heard you mispronounce it at the Pig Roast.   :D :D

CHARLIE

I always thought pecans were harvested by putting a big canvas around the tree and attaching some kind of vibrator to the trunk, then start shaking the trees. The pecans fall on the canvas.  Is that right?
Charlie

tyb525

Charlie, I have seen videos of them doing that with certain species, I assumes pecan is one of them,
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DanG

They have tree shakers, but most don't use ground covers.  They have a machine that sweeps them up then blows the trash out of them.

I've got the best crop I've had in several years.  Six of my nineteen trees are producing good nuts.  I'll never get all of them picked up though.  The market is really up this year, almost double the best prices I've seen before.  New export markets that have opened up are really impacting the price.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Charlie, in today's age, yes commercial Pecan orchards use shaking and gathering devices.

Our trees were well over 3' diameter 60 years ago, so I doubt that they would have been shakable anyway.  Our hand gathering was the only mechanics available.

Some of those old trees have died and most are easily 4'-5' diameter now and are past any real production age or environment.  60 years ago that was all pasture land and the productive trees were always fertilized.  Now the old pecan orchard is grown up.

As normal about half of the trees around the Cabin are productive.  Others simple do not produce or produce small hard shelled nuts.  I leave those for the critters.

sandhills

Thank You Sponsors!