iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole saws

Started by Stephen Alford, March 09, 2021, 03:10:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustintheblood

Stephen, thank you for starting this discussion about pole saws, cause it really isn't about the saws themselves, its about TSI.

Admittedly, I am finally getting to that stage of micro management where I can really make those improvements to things that will yield dividends long after I'm worm food.

Leant my Stihl pole saw to a friend for the past week, and his only report was "dang that's heavy after a few hours use".  Will loop back and send the specs of my saw when it comes back this week.

On the upside, I like the new Stihl system I have where the main shaft is interchangeable with various implements.  I have a tiller head and a sweeper head that really make it versatile and cost efficient.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

SwampDonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on March 25, 2021, 02:09:55 PM

42ish yr old maple stump in wife's friend's backyard.  3/8ths to half inch growth rings from about year 10.  I dont know for sure what type but we tend toward red maple.  Very dark, moist, and thick topsoil.

Silver maple.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

What gives it away?
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Form and branching habit, mostly.

I had one home owner who was insistent it was a box elder in his yard because some old guy said so. I was thinning some of his ground out back and he thought he would test me. :D

Had some kids and their dad at another place wanting to test me. The kids had planted a hardwood tree in the yard. They knew what it was. 'Yellow birch', I said. Their eyes got big and smiled, 'How did you know?' I said, 'Magic. Here, taste this twig. Minty?' Them, 'Yup'. :D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwingOak

Tree shape, bark, soil type, rate of growth - all say Silver maple.

Messy trees, and not much good for anything compared to other maples. 

Ed_K

We were at our husky dealers yesterday to talk about a 345 saw that quit, at 2 to 3 hundred :o we decided to get Rita a small used saw that she can handle. The 345 was 16 yrs old not bad for a homeowner saw. Anyway while there we looked at the pole saws the smallest ones were $599.95 that was a shock to Rita so I didn't get it :(. She will have to ride in the bucket to trim branches with the pull type a few more times ;D.
Ed K

mike_belben

Everything is crazy expensive.  The poor keep getting poorer. 
Praise The Lord

Stephen Alford

Well Mr SD had a chuckle after reading your post.  Back in the day of the Botany labs with Professor GR Powell and the twig identification test those of us at the back of the class went by ...bite ...marks on the twig not smell or taste. By the time any yb twig passed 28 young foresters there was not much left.   :D
   Now when push comes to shove on a ... Whats this test in some ones back yard full of ornamentals  ... my go to is ...Arctostaphylos uva ursi... They then ask what's that ?  I think of GR fondly and respond.. I don't know the common name I only studied the Latin. :D
logon

Old saw fixer

I got tired of pinching the bar in the cut on larger limbs, so I got the angle drive Stihl sells for the pole pruners and hedge trimmers.  I have an HT 132 pole saw.  I didn't learn about the angle drive from Stihl, it was discussed on another forum.
     In my humble opinion, Stihl is missing a lot with their poor marketing, it may be on the corporate end via the sales rep, or there aren't dealers really interested making a few more dollars.  The fact that most of the local (within 50 miles) dealers are Ace Hardware, Southern States Coop stores and John Deere dealers doesn't help things.  Sure, they have stock on the shelves, but the sales staff should have experience with the tools they sell.  Now this is Mid Atlantic Stihl territory, other areas may be better.  And my years working in a saw shop that catered to loggers could have based my thinking....
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Clark

Quote from: Old saw fixer on March 28, 2021, 11:28:51 AM     In my humble opinion, Stihl is missing a lot with their poor marketing, it may be on the corporate end via the sales rep, or there aren't dealers really interested making a few more dollars.  The fact that most of the local (within 50 miles) dealers are Ace Hardware, Southern States Coop stores and John Deere dealers doesn't help things.  Sure, they have stock on the shelves, but the sales staff should have experience with the tools they sell.  Now this is Mid Atlantic Stihl territory, other areas may be better.  And my years working in a saw shop that catered to loggers could have based my thinking....

Actually, that is why Stihl doesn't allow the big box stores to sell their products. I've certainly met employees at Ace who knew Stihl saws and some that don't. I can guarantee you that no employee at Home Depot would have a clue about chainsaws.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

SwampDonkey

Up here I avoid John Deere shops that sell Stihl. Only remember a parts man at the counter, and many times walk in and no one manning the shop at all. Forget service. :D I have to go to a saw shop and these days getting scarce. One here has changed hands twice after the long time owner retired in 2014. That fella knew his saws and he pushed sales/service big time. None of this coming back in 5 days for the saw, it was fixed pronto. Parts was most of the time there on the shelf.

The previous owner could not afford insurance, a lot of thefts. We'll see how the 3rd owner does this year.

Pruning trees in the yard and woodlot, I'll stick with my Fiskars. ;D

Old saw fixer

SwampDonkey, I bet the Fiskars is much lighter, too!  How far up will the Fiskars pruner cut, and how thick a hardwood limb can be easily cut?  I understand the doubtful service, believe me.  I've seen and heard so much in my time....  I can fix it if I can get the parts, including the Motronic, if I had the computer program. 

Clark, I agree with you, but that aspect isn't my problem.  My gripe is that Stihl parts and accessories are hard to find in their website, even the "Stihl guru" counter man at the Farm store couldn't find a 20" 3005 bar to fit my 036.  Come on, guy, don't you know it is the same as the bigger saws up to 088?  And no, I don't want to go back to work as a parts man, I am retired!  I guess it is hard to find employees who are interested in their job, other than the paycheck.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Old saw fixer on March 29, 2021, 10:32:41 AM
    SwampDonkey, I bet the Fiskars is much lighter, too!  How far up will the Fiskars pruner cut, and how thick a hardwood limb can be easily cut?  
I can go 12 feet high. I wouldn't want to cut a limb much bigger than 2 or 3", if I was cutting them for hours. I have cut bigger, but that becomes too much work if doing all day. I mostly have been pruning softwoods that heal fast, like balsam fir. Limbs not much bigger than 1".  Our fir here live longer, grow bigger than south of us because the land is more elevated. Fir don't like wet feet, even though they grow dog hair thick with cedar. They are like a bad weed. But they sure look nice, straight as an arrow. Smell nice to. :D

Thank You Sponsors!