iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A very simple log deck

Started by cutterboy, April 03, 2020, 07:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Yesterday I made a simple log deck so I could roll logs up onto my mill.
First I took two oak logs and cut a slab off the top and bottom of the log leaving the log 10" thick top to bottom.

Then slid them off the mill onto the tractor forks and placed them on the ground where they needed to be.

Then I put an old 4x4 on each log and there you have it....a heavy duty functional log deck.

Now, fill it with logs.

In the last picture you can see that the 4x4s are set back 6" from the end of the deck logs. That gives me space to put a 2" thick block on the end of the deck log. Then I place a 2" plank....one end on the block and the other end on the mill to roll logs up onto the mill. The planks are removed after a log is set on the mill.

Now I hope to do some serious sawing.     All the best, Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

KenMac

Looks good to me. Motivated folks can come up with solutions when a problem shows up. Good looking logs, too!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

thecfarm

Kinda how I have mine. I have mine a few inches higher, just a few inches. I only have about 2 feet, maybe 16 inches, between the log deck and mil. I just have 2 pieces of metal flat stock, ΒΌ"x4" about 3 feet long to bridge the gap. Important to flatten one side of the log. The logs will roll easier. Good idea on the set back of the 4x4.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!