iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homemade bandsaw mill

Started by cbar, April 10, 2020, 06:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbar

Hi

This is my first post.

I am thinking of building a small bandsaw mill.  After looking online for ideas I came across the design in the photo below.  I wonder if anyone has any experience with the belt from the engine riding on the tire rather then a separate pulley?  If it works construction is greatly simplified.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks 
Cbar

JoshNZ

If it's a standard A or B type V belt, I'd think it'd be a headache. No sheave to run in, it would want to roll and track all over the place. Maybe some kind of flat belt would work if you could track it.

I don't think you want the driven tyre pushing the band through your work like that either. Better to have the belt running to the other wheel or log backstops on the other side

Den-Den

That looks like an alignment nightmare to me.  Getting a mill aligned where it cuts straight lumber is not a trivial task.  Getting this design aligned so that the blade and drive belt share a tire AND cut straight lumber would be a lot more trouble than building with a shaft and pulley.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Den-Den

If you replaced the tires with pulleys and run the blade on the V-belt, this design can work.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

cbar

Hi 

Thanks for your responses.  I had the same concerns and was just wondering if anyone has tried it.

Thanks 

donbj

That looks like an experiment that most likely won't be repeated.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!