iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cypress ceilings

Started by bluffman2, November 05, 2015, 12:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluffman2

I have searched to no avail...
I have some cypress that was kiln dried to 12%...its been under my pole barn for several months since being dried. to what moisture content does it need to acclimate to inside my climate controlled house before being installed?

beenthere

Bring some boards inside and make some measurements (width most likely) and if possible, weigh them.
You will be able to tell if they move much and lose weight (which would be moisture).

Best would be to sticker the stack destined for the ceiling inside to acclimate to the house. But moving furniture out and a pile of lumber in usually doesn't appeal to all the inhabitants...  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Banjo picker

You said that in such a way that makes me think you have experience in that regard.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It would be common that the hottest air in the house would rise to the ceiling.  This heat also makes it the driest.  So, be prepared for substAntial shrinkage on the way to 6% MC in the wintertime in your area.  Make sure the tongue is long enough, if t&g.  We had a substantial lawsuit in the Houston area a few years ago about cypress ceilings...summer was great, but winter was a disaster.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!