iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Saw reccomendations

Started by Bosco, October 11, 2020, 05:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bosco

I'm looking for a new saw with the best power to weight ratio,and reliability/longevity. Any opinions? Light weight being a big factor as I have a unrepairable torn rotator cuff.

lxskllr

What are you looking to cut? Size, species?

Bruno of NH

Echo CS-620
Best power to weight on the market.
Starts better than any saw I have owned.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

lxskllr

for a 60cc class saw, the Stihl 362cm is >1# lighter than the echo. Can't compare power since echo doesn't publish specs. The Stihl's also a couple hundred $ more. Echo provides some of the best bang/buck in the saw market, but they generally aren't the absolute best in category.

Ianab

If you have a dodgy shoulder then maybe look at the Stihl "e" models. Instead of the normal recoil start the mechanism winds up a spring with several gentle pulls of the cord. When it's fully tensioned it releases and kicks the saw over.

The MS291 range isn't "professional" grade, but they have a good reputation for reliability as a farm or firewood saw, and saving your shoulder might be more important than extra hp.

I agree with the others, MS362 is one of the best saws you can buy, but you pay a premium for that quality. Echo make good saws, for a good price, so you can't really go wrong there. If you can start them...
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

btulloh

Battery powered maybe.  Depends on the answer to lxsklr's first question.  Nothing starts easier than a battery saw and there are some good ones.  You can't go out and cut a couple cords of firewood from 20" oak logs though.
HM126

barbender

I just bought a Husky 562xp, I haven't ran but 4 tanks of gas through it, but I really like it. A lot of power for the weight, starts easy enough. I have a 20" bar on itn which it handles well. That's compared to a Stihl ms261cm, Jonsered 2171 and Husky 390xp I also have in the stable. 
Too many irons in the fire

sawguy21

What are you cutting and how much? Are you a weekender cleaning up around the yard or a firewood cutter for your own use? What is your budget? For occasional light use maybe a Stihl MS180C with easy to start will meet your needs. If stocking firewood look at stepping up to a Stihl MS251C or Husqvarna 445. There are other lower priced saws on the market but these brands have parts and service available which count
for a lot
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

I bought this saw because of arthritis in my hand.  LINK  After having to have rotator cuff surgery in February, I am now happier with my decision.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Greenhighlander

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 11, 2020, 07:02:45 PM
What are you cutting and how much? Are you a weekender cleaning up around the yard or a firewood cutter for your own use? What is your budget? For occasional light use maybe a Stihl MS180C with easy to start will meet your needs. If stocking firewood look at stepping up to a Stihl MS251C or Husqvarna 445. There are other lower priced saws on the market but these brands have parts and service available which count
for a lot
I have a ms 251 and a husky 445 MK II .  I run an 18" on both and they cover my firewood needs. With neither being a " pro " model saw I have been very very impressed with how they have held up and performed.  The 445 does have the easiest pull start I have ever used. Barely have to pull on it. 
When one or both of these die I plan on getting an MS 261 CM
Cheers 

Patrick NC

A Husqvarna 550xp mk2 is has a good power to weight ratio and isn't hard to start. Mine has an 18" bar and I feel like it has plenty of power to cut anything the bar can handle. There game also been some good suggestions here with the Stihl e saws and the battery powered options. It all depends on what/ how much you are cutting. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Happysawer

What are you planing on cutting many times a smaller saw then what you think you need, will do what you want and a lot more.

Nothing as bad as having a large heavy chainsaw, then you really never needed.

thecfarm

Lots of questions unanswered. 
Might be able to get by with a 40cc. I had a 50cc and that cut good. I was planning on going down to a 40cc but I have a bar and 3 chains for a 50cc. That's well over $100 in parts. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Real1shepherd

Yeah, it all depends on use application and how often you use the saw.

This forum has become basically a Squeal forum, with Husky on the side and Echo, Makita and Poulan for desert.

I only run vintage saws, so I won't recommend those for a newbie.

You already made a comment about the MS 362 in another thread. Your friend had one and he loves it....is this a money issue then?

Kevin

barbender

It's not a Stihl forum, that's just silly. Did I not just recommend a new Husky?

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Bruno of NH on October 11, 2020, 05:53:38 PM
Echo CS-620
Best power to weight on the market.
Starts better than any saw I have owned.
The echo power pruner pole saw, blower, hedge trimmers 20 + years old always started easy and no problems + newer echo blower and weed whacker. I wouldn't hesitate buying

Real1shepherd

Quote from: barbender on October 12, 2020, 12:19:11 PM
It's not a Stihl forum, that's just silly. Did I not just recommend a new Husky?
Really....try counting the number of posts devoted to Squeal and Squeal questions. I'm not a Squeal fan at all, but it's easy to see what predominates this forum. Husky comes second around here.  

Kevin

reride82

Quote from: Real1shepherd on October 12, 2020, 10:39:07 PM
Quote from: barbender on October 12, 2020, 12:19:11 PM
Really....try counting the number of posts devoted to Squeal and Squeal question. I'm not a Squeal fan at all, but it's easy to see what predominates this forum. Husky comes second around here.  

Kevin
I disagree. I run predominantly husqvarna. My "easy" starting saw is a 372xp, because the 445 sometimes doesn't want to start when hot and the 395xp is a bear to start in most situations.  :D
Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

barbender

Yeah I kinda gathered that you're not a fan, given the fact that you can't actually say the name. At any rate, I think that you may be reading into it a bit, maybe because of how other forums operate. They seem kinda tribal, people have extreme brand loyalty and everything else is an unusable piece of garbage. I think most here are pretty practical, we just like stuff that works well for the task at hand. As I stated before, I have 3 different brands of saws. I like them all, they all do the job. I like that I can come here and find someone that has experience with something that I may be getting into, and can give honest and fairly unbiased info on it. 

Southside

What he said. I am not about to recommend a 372 to a member who has a bad shoulder, but I will put the pair I have against anything out there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

I put a word in for the Stihls because they have some models with the easy-start. OP said he has a dodgy shoulder which isn't going to get better. MM put in a good word for the MS362 because it has a decomp valve, fairly unusual on a 60cc saw, which also makes it easier to start. 

Personally I love my Dolmar saw, and it starts pretty easy with it's de-comp, but I wouldn't be recommending it to someone with a bad shoulder.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Patrick NC

I have all husqvarna now because I have a good dealer near me. Stihl also has a dealer close by, but it seems like they are pushing homeowners saws and not pro grade. I was in there a few months ago because I needed to replace my ms260. All they had were 170, 251,and 271 size saws. They could order anything I wanted, but I needed a saw right then. I walked into the husky dealer and they had almost every saw husky makes. Walked out with a 550xp mk 2 and was back to cutting that afternoon. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Real1shepherd

This is really simple and it's not about personal preferences. Just look at the entire forum page....count the number of posts related to Squeal and Squeal related questions. The majority of posts are related to one saw brand, that's all I'm sayin'. Don't turn this into a 'best oil mix' thread kinda thing.

Doesn't make Squeal the best saw out there......just making a comment on the predominant direction of the forum.

Also, I don't really see a hierarchy here insomuch as a put down of non-Squeal owners. All I'm saying is the forum dialog favors Squeal.....which shouldn't be taken by new members to mean they are the top dawg saw. Lot's of choices out there and a lot of members have many saw marques.

Kevin

gspren

Quote from: Real1shepherd on October 13, 2020, 10:45:50 AM
This is really simple and it's not about personal preferences. Just look at the entire forum page....count the number of posts related to Squeal and Squeal related questions. The majority of posts are related to one saw brand, that's all I'm sayin'. Don't turn this into a 'best oil mix' thread kinda thing.

Kevin
So far you're the only one I see putting down a brand of saw.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!