iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hiatal hernia

Started by Al_Smith, December 19, 2019, 09:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Now this is dandy but I'll try to shorten it up .My lady had breathing problems and was diagnosed as having COPD simply because she smoked .Wrong she had low hemoglobin .Okay infused with iron,revived .Two years later more tests,low and behold a hiatal hernia was blocking off her lung capacity .I never heard of that but sure enough that is it .Who would have thought that ?
Her lung function,heart,everything is right were it's supposed  to  be .O2 saturation 97 percent ,mine is 98 . A wise old country doctor once told me once you  find the cause the symptoms will go away .It certainly took them long enough to find it .Good grief .

Old Greenhorn

With apologies to EVERY Doctor on this forum, my experience with the profession has been similar and not good. Most Doc's have too many cases and tend to do very quick diagnosis based on the charted history. Whether you are a Doctor or a maintenance mechanic, this is lazy work. You have to do your own research and be your own advocate and have a strong voice to find the root problem. My Mom would have spent the last 5 years of her life in a wheelchair if I hadn't insisted that she get PT. The doc just said 'at her age, what is the point? She will never walk again." I insisted, and it worked and she kicked the chair away. Same thing when she needed home O2 and the same  Doc said "She will never meet the criteria for the prescription", he did the test and what do you know, she met the criteria. (The office nurse got me on the side and just whispered "Good for you, he's an ass----". Some Docs are great, I have worked with a few, but boy, just like in every other industry, what the schools are turning out now are not so very good. My own Doc does not like me much. When I do go in (about every 2 years) I try to save time by telling him my symptoms, what it is and what type of treatment is required. He says ' Yeah well, let's just let me have a look and I'll figure it out". when he is done he prescribes what I asked for in the first place, every time. He hates that. He keeps sending me notes to come in for a check-up and I tell him I don't need to spend $200. to find out I'm in good shape and should stop smoking and not drink so much. It hurts his feelings and it hurts his statistics with the insurance company and his employer. Sorry man, we all have to eat.
 I have seen very bad Doctors, good Doctors, and great Doctors. The problem, as a layman, is you don't know which one you've got. You HAVE to be your own advocate. I have never seen a good Doctor that responded poorly to good questions. Never.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Al_Smith

I'm not trying to abase the medical profession but my goodness there are differences .I've fired several doctors .I have a very good one now .
It just surprises me my lady was living near a large metro area and had so many misdiagnoses about the same problem .Yet this particular problem was found via a country doctor sending her to a vascular doctor who had it in about a week after a series of tests in a town of 40,000 ..
When she became short of breath one wanted her to carry O2 .Didn't sound right to me and I suggested a second opinion .Sure enough it wasn't .The O2 would only have masked the problem not fix it .
She has had the hiatal hernia for years and different Dr's knew it  but over looked the obvious possibility in spite of the fact they prescribed the medication for it.
A look on the brighter side .With certain health problems that have been corrected  in the past 5 years she turning back into that cute little blonde  cheerleader I remember some 50 some years ago .Still cute just not 17 years old any more . ;D  Foxy grandma .
Once again I'm not bad mouthing the profession .I have two sisters  retired now,both Rn's and the youngest became  a Dr. of pharmacy .     

Raider Bill

Since I lost my ortho guy to do my knee and shoulder I'm on the hunt for a new Doc.
Went to one Tuesday. Guy was a jerk [i have a better name but the FF will not like it].
about 3 minutes after he came into the room I walked.
Now he maybe the best surgeon in the world or having a real bad day but if you act like the northbound end of a south bound mule I'm out.

The hunt is still on.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

kantuckid

When my first hip began to go bad I started trying for a new doc as i felt the best choice was one who did both posterior and anterior, at least to get that opinion. I ended up at #5 hip doc (wow, what a change of events too!!!) as # 2 thru#4 were nasty experiences to say the least possible. Now my # 5, who did both my hips is also my knee doc, his only joints he treats. His PA has 25 +  years and also VG.  Same doc did the U of KY men's basketball coach's hip- a man who obviously can afford any ortho doc in the world. A plus factor is that he operates in several hospitals, VA and university main ones you usually get a student/resident but the one the U bought where his office is located, he alone does the cutting and thats where I go. I like that I'm getting the main guy when my body gets new parts.
After a long history of a bad back I've given up for now on relief of that lumbar stuff that gives me sciatica. Last guy I went to talked down to me like I was a non reader child? I honestly had to hold back on reacting to the man. Not a way to win friends or customers...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Back to hiatal hernia as I have the problem:
Now that Zantac has been removed from the stores I am seeking a good antacid? I have recently been trying Pepcid but it just isn't effective as was Zantact! I was on Prilosec but it caused bloating and also sort of dangerous stuff anyway!

Whats works other than diet choices or magic natural medicines?

EOTE

Quote from: kantuckid on January 16, 2020, 09:26:28 AMNow that Zantac has been removed from the stores I am seeking a good antacid? I have recently been trying Pepcid but it just isn't effective as was Zantact! I was on Prilosec but it caused bloating and also sort of dangerous stuff anyway!

My wife has a different problem where she uses a combination Xyzal and Zantac for allergy relief.  The pharmacist and her doctor both told her that Pepcid AC is the best replacement.  In our research we also found that Tagamet is most useful for people over 65.  Ask your doctor and pharmacist which product to use for your situation. Good luck too.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

realzed

Quote from: kantuckid on January 16, 2020, 09:26:28 AM

Now that Zantac has been removed from the stores I am seeking a good antacid?

What works other than diet choices or magic natural medicines?
I too have had to live with a Hiatal Hernia a for decades and very much miss Zantac as it was the best thing I found for dealing with it and indigestion in general.  
I learned long ago to only sleep on my left side to keep my stomach and associated bits lower than my mouth/throat and that certainly helped - but whenever I knew from either what I ate or how I felt before heading off to bed, I always knew I could count on a Zantac or (Ranitidine) to usually come to the rescue to insure a decent night's sleep, despite often my own foolishness!
I liked also that I could even take it on a 'as needed' basis and have it still work well in reasonably short order verses the replacement I have been given lately - Rabeprazole - which needs at least 6 to 9 hours to have any effect and should be taken on a somewhat daily basis instead, to apparently work effectively besides the working slower- but I've found it no where near as effective as the Zantac ultimately..
My doctor told me the problems with it came up after the drug company that produced Zantac moved the manufacture of it off-shore to India where they hoped the cheaper labor costs would provide a bigger profit margin, and ultimately that's where the contamination issues surfaced resulting in it being taken off of the market all together.
I did ask if he thought it would ever become back, as it did work so well - and his response was "probably only if the drug companies got less greedy, or someone else found the formula and/or the patents for it expired"..

Ed_K

I use Omeprazole 20 mg twice a day, it takes a few days to start working. In between I have been eating peppermints. I get the soft ball type from B Js in a big square box and the hard candy's from walgreens. They work great for me. Every time I eat a big meal right after I'll eat a couple and no problem with my stomach burning.
Ed K

Stephen1

Apple is my go to, to relieve my heartbearn. Also a spoonful of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water does it also. 
I was on panteloc for years and my new younger docter pulled me off of it. Told me in no uncertain terms to change my diet. I now stay away from french fries or almost any deep fried food. It works. I also came off of my blood pressure medecine, since the only stress I have now is which way to saw the log. If I make a mistake I am usually the only one that knows. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

kantuckid

Quote from: EOTE on January 16, 2020, 09:42:51 AM
Quote from: kantuckid on January 16, 2020, 09:26:28 AMNow that Zantac has been removed from the stores I am seeking a good antacid? I have recently been trying Pepcid but it just isn't effective as was Zantact! I was on Prilosec but it caused bloating and also sort of dangerous stuff anyway!

My wife has a different problem where she uses a combination Xyzal and Zantac for allergy relief.  The pharmacist and her doctor both told her that Pepcid AC is the best replacement.  In our research we also found that Tagamet is most useful for people over 65.  Ask your doctor and pharmacist which product to use for your situation. Good luck too.
Zantac has been pulled from store shelves so she'll face the same issue I brought up as to what comes next. I've already tried Pepcid for a few weeks and it does not work well for me. Tagamet is a similar drug that I've not tried as yet.
Given that I was taking Prilosec/omneprazole/ "larry the cable guy pills" I had begun taking Zantac as the prilosec was causing bloating. Once settled on Zantac, it was gone...
Allergies I use two nasal sprays, flonase and azellastine after a netti pott rinse and self inject once a week for chronic seasonal allergies, nothing else other than spring/fall seasons I sometimes use a nasal drip spray.
There's a very long list of stuff to take for excess acid. the pissy part is not killing ones kidneys or liver while reducing acid. I don't want a hole in my esophagus any more than i want organ failure, again, it's a dicey situation to solve?  
To avoid possibility of prilosec issues i went on 10mg pill every other day for a couple of years and seemed to work, then I was getting bloating more recently and ask doc what comes next. Now I'm back on same regimen, one every other day. A DIL gave me her supply of prilosec and I just noticed her's are 20mg & 30mg! I think she took them when pregnant, not sure really.
I'm leaving the 30's alone for now!
When I googled antacids it was 5 pages of drugs to choose from.

Thank You Sponsors!