Started by Quebecnewf, January 11, 2020, 07:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Would like to find a couple of these trees to cut

Quebecnewf

Old Greenhorn

I would like to find a couple of the folks who pay those prices. :D ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Nebraska

It's pretty I guess  ??? I know I better not bring any home though.

Dan_Shade

Cocobolo is a CITES appendix II wood.  It can no longer be internationally transported. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

teakwood

I have 6 big cocobolo trees on my farm, they are nasty trees, lots of branches and curved wood, not really a straight log tree. we still can get the oficial permits to cut them. It's beautiful wood but very heavy
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

olcowhand

Quote from: teakwood on January 14, 2020, 08:22:53 AM
I have 6 big cocobolo trees on my farm, they are nasty trees, lots of branches and curved wood, not really a straight log tree. we still can get the oficial permits to cut them. It's beautiful wood but very heavy
Text rescinded due to being off topic and in poor taste.
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Quebecnewf

Those prices astound me . Every year I visit that store and there's always new and some very expensive wood there so someone is buying it .

I always wondered what the guy got who cut the tree . Going by the size of those live edge slabs even if he got 1/3 the price we see in the store it would seem like good money for one tree . Let's say that log produced 10 live edge boards at an average of 1500.00 per board that's 15000.00 for one log . So that means he got 5000 for his log .

Not to bad 

Quebecnewf 

longtime lurker

Is that all?
(not joking)
Couple of years back a buyer paid a bit over $130k AUD for a single Queensland Walnut Endiandra palmerstonii (no relationship to the northern hemisphere walnuts)... it cut just over $1,000,000 USD worth of veneer.

Why can't I ever get logs like that?
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

olcowhand

Quote from: Quebecnewf on January 18, 2020, 07:17:17 AM
Those prices astound me . Every year I visit that store and there's always new and some very expensive wood there so someone is buying it .

I always wondered what the guy got who cut the tree . Going by the size of those live edge slabs even if he got 1/3 the price we see in the store it would seem like good money for one tree . Let's say that log produced 10 live edge boards at an average of 1500.00 per board that's 15000.00 for one log . So that means he got 5000 for his log .

Not to bad

Quebecnewf
Quebecnewf,
Where is this store? Is there a website?
Steve
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

firefighter ontheside

At first I thought it was a misprint, but then saw the cocobolo.  Maybe I can cut some gnarly walnut logs and try to sell as cocobolo.  Nahh!
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

YellowHammer

The board foot price for the smaller pieces can be tremendous, and smaller sellable boards come from big boards.

I'm selling some exotic thinwood pieces of various species at 1/8" thick, 5" x 25" for roughly $20 each.  That comes out to about $200 per bdft.  This beats Rockler and Woodcraft prices for the same items by a significant margin.  I paid $100 per bdft for these pieces, which is stupid high, except that I'm doubling my money whenever I sell one.  

This is a better investment for me than gold.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Quebecnewf

Store is in Montreal 

Langevin et Forest 

Google will fund them 

Great store . High end tools and high end wood 

Quebecnewf 

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

A few years ago, Northwest Hardwoods would sell 4" by 3' pieces (1 bf) of oak, walnut, cherry and aspen (and maybe other species) wood, shrink wrapped and perfectly clear with a 100% guarantee in the mega stores.  Prices were $1.75 for aspen to $2.50-$3.25 for other species.  They had other sizes too.  A good example off value added and an appreciation for what customers want.  

Another company sold red oak shorts (not underwear) that were various widths and up to 24" long, with a grade similar to No.1 Common (but this No.1 grade requires 4' lengths) in packages weighing around 75 pounds which was the maximum UPS weight.  The price averaged $0.225 per bf.  This is a good price for trim pieces.  Another store sold lumber trim in bundles at $.25 per pound.

Of course, there is the bundle of dried firewood, wrapped, at a grocery store for close to $0.50 a pound, which is somewhere close to $600 a cord.

Then there are wood pellets for bbq grills at a dollar a pound.

I make, when I am in thE mood, wood cuttings boards in th shape of various U.S. states using a glued-up, multi-species blank that is around 1 sq foot or 1 BF and stores sell them for $75 each.  (Never have done Hawaii...too tough.)
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!