iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shipping blades for resharpening

Started by D6c, January 15, 2020, 11:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D6c

Thinking about using resharp service and how I'd ship blades.
I can get Uline boxes 18x26x18h for $3-4 that would hold 10 blades on edge with pads between the blades.  Looks like it would weigh approximately 27 lb.
Thinking that if I put them on edge in a box it would make it easier to use them right out of the box and put dull ones back in as I go.
At first look, FedEx ground seems to be quite a bit cheaper than UPS.
Thought about wood box but that can get heavy.  What works well for you?
Ok

WV Sawmiller

I send mine back in the cardboard sleeves/boxes they came in. I send 15 per box. Several of my boxes have made 4-5 trips so far and are still in good shape.

<

Here are the boxes I made to store and transport my blades. I have another for used blades and put them in there until I get 15 then I zip tie them and put in the cardboard and send back to WM re-sharp. Works fine for me.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

I use the ~18" cube boxes and stack the blades back to back with cardboard between the teeth.  Call ReSharp for a shipping label.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerTed

Resharp sells flat pack boxes at $7 ish.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

firefighter ontheside

You only have to worry about it once.  After the first time, you send dull blades back in the same box the sharpened ones came in.  They will include a shipping label as well.  You will of course be billed for shipping but it's very efficient for me.  As I type this I'm thinking I need to send in a box to resharp  myself.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Frontier_Paul

Never used the re-sharp service, will they sharpen blades that have rust on them from sitting around. The blades are not really that old just got left outside. Thanks!!

Magicman

I'm sure that it would depend upon how rusty.  Call them at 1-800-525-8100.

They could also send you a shipping label.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

I visited resharp in Ga.  They had bands so rusty it looked like they had been dropped in the mud, stomped on, then left for a month.  They have a special auto feed multiple wire wheel machine that rubs, oils and so gets the rust off, it's basically a car wash for bands.  It can't do miracles, but it will do a fine job if they are not Titanic at the bottom of the ocean rusty.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Frontier_Paul

John S

They also will reject/discard blades that are no longer serviceable and replace with a new blade of your choice, if you sign on to that option.
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

ktm250rider

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 15, 2020, 11:43:59 AM
  I send mine back in the cardboard sleeves/boxes they came in. I send 15 per box. Several of my boxes have made 4-5 trips so far and are still in good shape.
<

Here are the boxes I made to store and transport my blades. I have another for used blades and put them in there until I get 15 then I zip tie them and put in the cardboard and send back to WM re-sharp. Works fine for me.
OK, I got the coil method down of getting the blade into a coiled circle.  Takes me a minute and a few tries but after the first one its natural.  But i could never get the blades back into a single "circle" like you have shown.  Whats the trick to that?

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

WV Sawmiller

@ktm250rider ,

You're a smarter guy than me then as I have never mastered the coil method. The cloverleaf is much simpler in my mind.

To fold as shown in my picture you first have to have the stiff/heavy open ended metal clip shown in the photo. They come with my new blades and I have accumulated several extras over time. If you don't have one I suspect you could contact WM and have them send you a couple or you could make 1-2 out of a heavy wire/rod and a bench vice.

To make this fold lay the blade down in a circle teeth facing up. Reach up and grab the blade at 12:00 and pull the top towards the 6:00 position. Squeeze the sides off the inner loop together from 3:00 to 9:00 till they meet and slide the 2 sides into the open clip with the open end up then release - the clip will hold them together as shown. Repeat to add more bands. When ready to ship take a heavy duty cable tie and secure the inner and outer loops of the bands at the 6:00 position where they meet and maybe another at the 11:00 and 1:00 positions.

I hope that answers your question. If not let me know the point(s) of confuse and I'll try to clarify. Best regards.

@Weekend_Sawyer

Thanks. They are just made with 1" stickers, 45*'s made by cutting a 1X6X6 diagonally for the corners and a cheap piano hinge and covered with luann or thin cut boats like shown. The rope handles at the top close the box when lifted/carrying. I first made them 2" thick and had a different hook angle on each side but that turned out to be too heavy to I rebuilt them to be 2" thick (1" on each face). I keep my spare belts in there to for transport on mobile jobs.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 30, 2020, 12:27:02 PM
@ktm250rider ,

You're a smarter guy than me then as I have never mastered the coil method. The cloverleaf is much simpler in my mind.
WV, let me see if I can help you with that, been doing it for half a century with blades and also v-belts for storage. First, wear leather gloves and boots  ;D. Let the blade hang in your right hand (palm up) with the teeth pointed away from you, holding the blade at 12 o'clock, step  on the blade at 6 o'clock...securely. Now tighten your grip slightly and twist the blade counter-clockwise in the horizontal plane without letting it slip under your foot. Once you get about 1/2 turn on the blade, start allowing your hand to go toward your foot and keep twisting, right about now you need to get your left hand involved to keep twisting it as you go down. You will see the blade snap into that muilti-wind round coil and probably have to unhook a few teeth to get the coils to even up in size, but it is very simple once you try it. Try to keep clothing and body parts away from the blade as it comes around. ;D Of course this take more space in a box, but it's a good way to coil and store single blades. Me? I need to make some boxes like you have. :D The one Woodmizer sent me has been in the humidity too much and I don't think I can use it for return shipping at this point. I also need to make up a few rings. My dull blades are just hanging on a hook right now.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Chuck White

Quote from: ktm250rider on January 30, 2020, 11:56:55 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on January 15, 2020, 11:43:59 AM
<

OK, I got the coil method down of getting the blade into a coiled circle.  Takes me a minute and a few tries but after the first one its natural.  But i could never get the blades back into a single "circle" like you have shown.  Whats the trick to that?
I have a video that Dan and I put together a while back, watch it maybe a couple times and it'll come to you so you can coil, uncoil and invert your blades!

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,73467.40.html

Hope this helps you out!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

Thanks guys. I have seen the WM and other videos on how to coil the band but since I never store or ship them that way I don't bother to remember the technique. I will or would if I ever have/had the need.

As I have said before "My mental hard drive is full. For me to learn something new I have to dump some memory and it may be something I need to retain and dumping it will get me in trouble." Consider what happens if I do a memory dump and learn how to properly coil a blade but forget my wife's birthday? It ain't gonna be pretty! :D
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

OH, I like the Chuck White method! I rarely have to invert a blade, but I am going to try his 'throw' just for the fun of it. Slick. Chuck, your folding method is neat too. I will have to give that a try also. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Brad_bb

I send bands back in the 15 pack I received the new or resharpened ones in. I reuse the metal thingy and use a new zip tie.  

I think when you send in blades, if the box is not in good enough shape, they use a new one to send you back your bands.  

I have them replace any bad bands with new ones of the same type.

I have 4 boxes of bands I keep on a rotation.  When I get 15 that need resharp, they go.

I also separate nail strike bands so I can examine them later.  I'll inspect to see how many teeth affected and how bad.  Most of the time they are still resharpen-able. I know when it's a really bad metal strike and has taken out too many teeth too deeply and I just scrap that band without bothering to sent it back.  When I get 15 nail strike bands I send them in, knowing they are nail strike bands.  When I get them back I mark the box.  I'm more wary when I do the first cut with those bands, wondering If I were to get a dive.  I just started doing it this organized way and am now on the 15th band of a nail strike box with NO issues.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

trapper

I asked and they sent me a couple extra u shaped clips for the flat pack when they returned my resharp blades I use Indy for resharp.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ktm250rider

ahh ha!  I was trying to get them all into a circle at first (which by the way is dam near impossible).  So you fold them one at a time into the shipping shape.
I wouldn't go so far as smart.  It usually takes 5-6-18 tries to get it, usually throw at least one blade.  Which typically get caught on my pant leg and just gets me more *pithed off.  But, once i get the first one its like i cant not coil it.  As a hobby, im not going through blades daily, unless i hit a nail.  

Thank You Sponsors!