iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee??

Started by Magicman, December 08, 2015, 08:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 30, 2019, 09:49:48 PM
I had a percolator for years .It brewed good coffee .Then I had this brain storm .Wired an old clock radio to set it off 15 minutes before it was time to wake up .Oh boy oh boy what a spark of genius that was  until I found out somebody had already figured that out already.Day late ,dollar short . Such is life  :D
Since we have been married we have always had our coffee on a timer. Never get out of bed (either of us) until the coffee is made.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

I thought that was a good reason to get out of bed, was to make the coffee. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

I don't have a problem getting up .It's a very rare occasion if I sleep past 5 AM .Years and years of arising before the rooster crows .The coffee is about a minute using the Bunn and maybe 6 with the Mr Coffee .Now of course on the rare occasion I decide to grind beans it's longer .

K-Guy

I'm a bit of a coffee snob. I buy medium roast Colombian Arabica beans, very coarse grind them and use 14 tsp per 10 cup pot. Then I drink it black with a bit of sugar.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

doc henderson

@K-Guy I wondered how they named the K cup.  has anyone had the coffee from the beans that are eaten, digested partially and then pooped out by the forest animal?  that is what I would call "dark roast".! :o :o :o :) :) :)

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

K-Guy

Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

doc henderson

It is the civet cat from Indonesia,  and the coffee is advertised as the most expensive.  I have had coffee that tasted like that at work... Kopi Luwak.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

When I was in school I drank it by the pot full, the first few years of work as well. Then it started to bother my stomach,  I gave it up and switched to tea, my stomach is better off and I have cut my caffeine intake at least some. I still drink a smidgen of coffee at the office or steal a couple sips from wife's cup, but I know if I over do it. To this day the best coffee is black and made over a fire with my old enamel pot, served with bacon grease fried brook trout and eggs. 8)

doc henderson

when I was a resident, my first month of night shift ED, I drank coffee all night.  after that month I could not stand coffee for several months.  I got over it!
steve_smiley :D :D :D

Nebraska

@doc henderson  I  bet that first month as a resident on night shift was a doosie. No nerves what so ever.  

SwampDonkey

Somebody has been watching "The Bucket List" :D The joke at the end of the movie, which is true.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Al_Smith on December 31, 2019, 09:37:16 AM
I don't have a problem getting up .It's a very rare occasion if I sleep past 5 AM .
Yep, I'm with ya, most days. If I stay later, it's not as if I'm asleep. :D I'm at the stage of my life if I stay much later I get an achy head.

sawguy21

When I was on the road black unsweetened coffee was a basic food group. However I have a congenital tremor made worse by excessive caffeine so the doc told me to lay off the stuff. I might have a cup 2-3 times a week now, if I make it at home I get doing something else and forget to drink it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kantuckid

At age 76 I began my coffee adventures about 4-5 years ago. I grew up around coffee addicts and it was always mainstream Folgers, Maxwell House etc for them, never me. Smelled good but tasted too bitter.
My wife likes flavored coffee and I followed her, but my version is what my BIL calls "sissy coffee", or the Waffle House lady called "do you want some more of that concoction"! meaning my coffee with lots of cream and cocoa added. I put ~ 3/4 teaspoon of Swiss Miss style milk chocolate in the 2 tablespoons of 1/2 & 1/2 cream, heat that very hot then using an AreoLatte whip I get it well mixed from the microwave then add coffee. I prefer stronger coffees given my dilution-Seattles Best Hazlenut is a favorite as is Krogers Hazelnut which is milder than the SB stuff.
At a Starbucks, a place I never go besides the fact there are zero of them near me, I see they have coffee similar to mine but too pricey for a tightwad. The college kids (on student loans they want me to pay back) are always there though, life is good huh?
We go for the beans when we can but the newer easy make coffees have stolen shelf space from bean & ground bag coffees.
My sons all drink dark roast such as Peet's or other dark beans, also using a French Press to extract their goodies. We are stuck on Mr Coffee  though they get the royal treatment when Mommas making their coffee.
There are some interesting stories to be learned about mainstream coffees and their bean sources. A guy I grew up with made his career after we worked together in grocery stores in college with Folgers.
BTW, many coffees are dying around the world as warming raises temps at particular elevations they grow in.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

SwampDonkey

Go to Tim Hortons, it's all right in theirs when it comes to cocoa and your choice cream and sugar. You come out of that place or it's subsidiaries in convenience stores and your clothes smell of chocolatized coffee. :D  I never buy their coffee, but often go in to the store to pay for gas and it's on your clothes afterword like burdocks. ;)

EOTE

I never drank coffee until I met my wife.  I tried it a few times in the Army but it seemed that whoever made it did their worst so they wouldn't have to make it again.  Starbucks always tasted like cigarette ashes to me so I always avoided it.  My wife and I originally worked in the same company so she would invite me for a cup of coffee before work.  Not wanting to pass up the opportunity to be with her I would quietly choke down a cup.  Eventually coffee became an acquired taste but I got bored of the same old Folgers and started trying "designer" coffees.  I even got her to try the different coffees.  I got hooked on ice coffee while working in Chicago.

Currently, our standard coffee is Dunkin' Donuts original but I rotate between Swiss Chocolate Almond, Chocolate Chipotle, Texas Pecan, and a Texas blend which has an orange flavor to it called Rio Grande Especial.  She likes doberman style coffee so she drinks Black Rifle Coffee MO.

2 - 40 ounce mugs a day keeps me working non-stop 10 to 12 hours a day.
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

doc henderson

@EOTE  you look like a tough texan, but your wife sounds tuffer!  drinks doberman rifle texas coffee.  I do not really want to mess with either of you!   :D :D :D

EOTE

Quote from: doc henderson on January 15, 2020, 06:25:47 PM@EOTE  you look like a tough texan, but your wife sounds tuffer!  drinks doberman rifle texas coffee.  I do not really want to mess with either of you!  

I might look tough on the outside but that's just a disguise. :D  BTW, my wife used to drive tanks in the IDF.  She's a former model but tough on the inside. You don't want to mess with her. ;D
EOTE (End of the Earth - i.e. last place on the road in the middle of nowhere)  Retired.  Old guys rule!
Buzz Lightsaw, 12 Mexicans, and lots of Guy Toys

sawguy21

I like a medium roast straight out of the pot with no fixins. Some of the convenience store swill tastes like it would strip paint and no amount of cream or sugar will make it drinkable. >:( My favorite is Mellita.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

kantuckid

Our oldest a former Marine, drinks the Black Rifle coffee and he and his brothers also drink Peet's-Major Dickinson.
I forgot to mention, I top my coffee with a dollop of whipped cream!
Nah, I'm not gonna get into judging people by their coffee choices...
Currently we are grinding Fresh Market's- Butterscotch Carmel Delight? it was half price on Friday before Christmas along with others. Their coffee is sold by the pound, mostly as beans so not so pricey when compared to tiny cans and bags of grocery coffee.
I tried and liked a new Walmart coffee, not flavored but adjusted for taste by combing various bean blends-look for a black bag- I bought the only one that comes in the bean but there are 4-5 others.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Magicman

Since my TKR surgery in mid-November, I have been indulging myself with an afternoon cup.  Up from my normal one-cup-a-day but what else to do?  Does this make me a bad man??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

no more than you already were!!   :o 8) :) :D ;)  no too bad! ::)

doc henderson

everything in moderation, just like wine, women, and song! :)

SwampDonkey

I still have my 2-3 cups in the morning. I usually stock up on sales, I have enough for the next few months. And that was purchased last year. ;D

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 15, 2020, 03:51:02 PMSince my TKR surgery in mid-November, I have been indulging myself with an afternoon cup. Up from my normal one-cup-a-day
And now I'll be back to sawing tomorrow, and no afternoon cup. :o  I hope the sudden withdrawal won't give me a headache.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!