Leveling the head on an MP32

Started by kelLOGg, January 27, 2017, 07:44:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I usually don't think about checking the level on the head but when I do I usually find that it is off maybe 1/16 to 1/8". I check it by placing a spacer between one of the feet and the main rail and lowering the head until I make contact. (see pic) I remove the spacer and check the other side. There is usually a difference. Has anyone observed this? My mill is 15 years old so I don't think it is uneven wear on the lift chains. My latest thought is that there could be difference in buildup of sawdust/debris on the overhead sprockets. One side could pick up more debris between the cogs effectively increasing the apparent radius of the sprocket and that side would be higher than the other. What do you guys think?
Bob

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

farmfromkansas

My MP 32 is an 05 model, and have checked the level on saw head as well, and usually is within 1/8 to 1/16.  Was having a problem with rusty chains, and replaced those, and use some lubricating oil pretty regular on the chains when using the mill.  Do not notice any difference on boards, as long as I move the head evenly between cuts.  My bottom board is slightly thicker than the others, but I like having a few 5/4 boards.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work