iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Loooonnnnngg boards!

Started by scsmith42, December 25, 2007, 12:04:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haytrader

Did anyone else see the big pencil on the news latley?

Why wood the end product need to be moved?
Seems to me just sawing a "long board" is the object.
I visualize sawing, taking a pictures of all the participants holding the long board, and then whacking it up so all involved have a momento.
Haytrader

solodan

Quote from: Haytrader on January 30, 2008, 10:32:54 PM

Why wood the end product need to be moved?
Seems to me just sawing a "long board" is the object.

I agree, why move it? Maybe an ATS or Lucas is the way to go. Just mill it where it is, I would think this could really strike interest for people considering sawmills. 

Dave Shepard

Yes, but we don't saw boards to leave them in the woods. ;) I think it would be great to see a huge, record setting beam used in a project somewhere. Besides, if it was sold, it might pay off the catering bill, or the bandwidth for us to talk about these crazy ideas. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

solodan

My wife has a catering company. ??? She may cut us a deal. ::) :D  Maybe we should cut it and build a real nice Loooonnnnngg picnic table to have our lunch on. :)  Actually maybe one of the National parks may let us mill a long log if we turn it into a picnic table or bench or something. ???

Dave Shepard

A looooooong picnic table in a state park would be cool. It would show that the Forestry Forum has made it's mark on the world of big trees, again. ;) :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

Hmmm...sawing the world's longest board, to be used in the world's longest picnic table?  Sounds like as good a reason as any to travel to the Left Coast 8).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

Furby

I've been trying to figure out how to word this and if it was even worth saying.
I'm starting to think our best bet for this is to move the tree to the "final use" site.
Flying the log is really the only practical way to do this in reality.
Flying a log that long is possible, but trying to fly a finished beam/board will most likely end in failure due to the weakened state of the finished product, so milling at the site the item is to be used sounds best.
I personally feel the item/s cut should be put to use.
I also really like the idea of a picnic table and even more so would like to have the finished item where the general public can view/use it.
My thinking is that the suggestion of a National Park or even a State Park is a really good idea.

While selling the beam/board to a wealthy person or club may bring some $ to the kitty, I fear it will be locked up and out of site of most.
I'd personally rather see it used to help promote a public place as well as the sponsors of the project.

It sounds like a swing mill will be the best and easiest to cut the longest board with, but but making something like the world's longest picnic table out of the longest board, we can also get other mill and equipment manufactuers into the game.
A slabber could be used to take the taper off the butt and that piece or pieces can be milled on a bandsaw or such.
While bandmill wouldn't be able to claim the longest board, it could claim being involved in the making of the longest picnic table.
There is no reason why any one mill type needs to do the whole thing as other suggestions have said.

I'm wondering if there is a way to work with Steve on this and still keep his home town name involved.
I want to belive we could wade through the red tape and do this at a National Park or State Park, and maybe even get lucky and get a tree from there as well. Won't know unless we try.
Hardest part may be a getting a heli in the game, anyone have any contacts?
I'm also wondering what type of trees might be available, I would think we would like something a little rot resisant for something out doors like a picnic table.

Just some rambling thoughts. :)

LOGDOG

There's one other way to transport that log fairly efficiently and that's by water. A work boat would be able to tow it up or down stream to a landing at the proposed site as long as it's waterfront. A candidate for that may be a place like Olympic Park in Washington that borders the ocean. It opens up the tall west coast timber up that near shoreline. It won't be cheap though. Down here a small tug with crew gets $3000.00 / day or better depending on the size if the rig. I dare say it would be cheaper than a helicopter though - at least one capable of flying that log. Then the question is: Who will pay the expenses? Personally I'd try to pre-sell the finished item with the sponsor/ purchaser picking up the costs as you go.

LOGDOG

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 31, 2008, 06:03:38 PM
Welcome back Dodgy!

Thanks Dave!  My Master's thesis (or in the words of DanG, my book report ::)) is finally complete, so it's back to business as usual for me 8).  'Course, now I have a job and a mortgage, but that's still significantly less pressure than trying to finish an M.S.!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

I don't think trying to transport this thing anywhere is going to be financially feasible, unless it is done by a wealthy purchaser. So why not mill it on site in a state park? Assuming one can get through the red tape. It will certainly take a heck of a lot of leg work to make it all happen. If we could find the right tree in the right place, it could be felled, sawn, and built into the table all at one site.

Dave

Jeff

Yep, I think you have to have a working assumption that this aint going anywhere and occurs all on one location. If it works out it does, Bonus!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Looks that way to me. 

Also probably would have to be a tree that needed to be removed because it's dead or dying or damaged.

What species of trees get big enough to qualify and where do they grow?
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

How many guys with logrite canthooks does it take to roll a 200 foot long log?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

A 250 foot Sitka, at least, is about 9 feet through on the but end. But the first 50 off and I bet it's still 6 feet through. You guys better eat your grits that morning.  Well when she starts roll'n, run like the dickens. :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Quote from: Jeff on February 01, 2008, 01:12:53 PM
How many guys with logrite canthooks does it take to roll a 200 foot long log?

A bunch.  ;D

probably take a few D-9s to git r done...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

ARKANSAWYER

Moving the log by air is not possible.  A 30 inch log 200 ft long will weigh over 85,000 lbs.  A 6x6x200' will weigh around 3,000 lbs and it could be lifted.  Swing mills will be needed to do this (did I really say that?).  There will be lots of short boards come off the side wood and all total make close to 10,000 bdft.  It will take some skinny pecker pole to saw this in one day.
   And if You are going to roll this you had better get some A.S.S. hooks 
ARKANSAWYER

SwampDonkey

A 30 inch log would taper to nothing long before 200 feet is reached, unless it's a vine. ;D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

zopi

Quote from: ARKANSAWYER on February 01, 2008, 06:33:01 PM

Swing mills will be needed to do this (did I really say that?). 

SEDITION!  Off with his head! :D

That WOULD be alot of bed extensions for the 15 tho'.... ;D

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

I may have missed this in an earlier post, but what is the current longest board world record?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tom

I know that long timbers have been cut, but didn't know there was a record being kept.  Ships Masts have been created in the 100ft or better lengths.  This is the only record type thing I could find on the Internet.

http://www.forest.nsw.gov.au/bush/feb02/stories/10.asp

SwampDonkey

Yeah, there didn't seem to be a record on the Guiness site.

Radar67

127.6 feet, from the Peterson Newsletter.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

scsmith42

I think that Arky is right on target with his weight concerns.   When I read the helicopter pick comments, I too thought that the log would be too heavy to move by air.

Re the "30" size, a 200' log is probably going to taper from 60 - 72" on the butt down to 4" or so near the top, thus 30" would be an average volume for the entire log.

Probably the only way that this would be practical would be to find a use for the finished product at or near the log's location.  It would be great if we could locate an end user for some of the products (big beams) that would be willing to foot the bill for the event.

We ought to shoot for setting EVERY record that we can... ie longest 2 x 4, longest 2 x 6, longest 10" x 20", longest picnic table, etc.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

Don't forget most LogRites on one log! I think it might be time for a special edition Forestry Forum LogRite. But what color? Not pink, I hope. :D I have seen pictures of loggers in the redwoods from maybe a hundred years ago with some 8 foot peaveys, and about 50 guys in the picture. I would guess there D9 hadn't been invented yet. ;)

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!