iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Are you using Antique equipment?

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, October 15, 2002, 08:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weekend_Sawyer

I have a modern bandmill (Norwood) but I use a 63' John Deere backhoe and a whole stable of Farmall letter series tractors for various tasks arund the home and mill. My favorite is a 1941 Farmall M with a swing drawbar for skidding big logs.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

By the way my smallest Farmall is a Cub lawnmower with a 5' mower deck.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Frank_Pender

What qualifies antique?  If it is over fifty years old, my wife says it is a collectors item.  She must think I am a collectors item, as I am still around here without to many concerns on her part.   I say that it has to be over 100 years to be an antique.  At the close of some days, I may feel I am over the 100 year mark.  I do use a Gerlinger 18,000 capacity lift truck made in the early 1950's.  It is really cool.   :o 8)
Frank Pender

D._Frederick

I have a 1947 Farmall M and the draw-bar on this tractor was nothing to brag about, it stuck behind the tires making it hard to turn with farm equipment. I still have a screwed up finger from the steering wheel kick-back! These old tractors were not user friendly. When you sat on one of these things for 10hrs, you knew that you had done a days work.

Bro. Noble

We have an old 10-20 McCormic, Two F-12's, an F-20, and a D John Deere that we used to use.  Don't want to part with them but glad I don't have to use them anymore.  We power our edger with a VAC case,  still use a 40 John Deere to cultivate,  and keep an H Farmall ready to go as a spare and hope we don't need it.  We have a 63 Chev log truck and a 67 GMC one ton we use on the farm.  

For fun we have a 20 HP Minniapolis Moline Steam engine that belonged to my grandad, a binder, stationary baler, Springfield wagon, and three thrashing machines. We used to thrash with this outfit.  People liked to come watch and help thrash but were scarse when the binding and shocking occured.

I've got an old lath mill that belonged to my great Uncle Amos and Dad has his Grandad's stationary 50 hp Atlas steam engine that pulled a planing mill.  My G Grandad bought it second hand about 1920.

Used to love to tinker with old machinery but now wish we had some new stuff that didn't need fixing up.

Noble

milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

I can't say I'm really using any antique equipment, but then, I'm not really using the modern stuff either. :D  I have my Grandaddy's '53 Farmall Super C.  It sits patiently in the shed, awaiting restoration. I've ordered the round tuits for it, several times, but they must be on back-order. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

arj

You mean they made equipment after 1960
             arj

D._Frederick

Noble,
  My folks had a 10-20 McC. that was on steel, they put rubber on it after WWII. I had lot of hrs on this tractor and a lot of scares, it didn't have much for brakes.
That old traction engines is worth Gold out here in the NW, put it under cover for a Rainy day, it will help your retirement fund.

Ron Wenrich

How old does it have to be to be considered an antique?  Our log turner is 40 years old.  I know there are older ones out there, but I'm talking mechanical turners.   :D

I've also sawn on 50 year old mills.  There are still a lot of old Fricks out there, some in commercial operations.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

raycon

I don't know if its an antique but I use a 1963 Ford 2000 with loader and backhoe. I never thought of it as an antique.
Use a 1941 monarch gear lathe in the shop.Have a Van Norman universal milling machine from the 50's and a Brown & Sharpe horizontal milling machine from the 40's. Some of my timber framing tools are pre WWI.
Just can't part with things.

Ray
Lot of stuff..

Corley5

Just about everything around this place is an antique.  My mill is 1948 Corley #5 powered by a 40s model Minneapolis Moline power unit.  I've got a four sided planer that Grandpa claimed came over on the Mayflower as the anchor.  We've got fifty plus old tractors around here.  The oldest being a 35 Farmall F-12 and the newest a 1969 180 Massey Ferguson.  The majority of the tractors are IH but just about every other major brand is represented.  Anyone of them that has belt pulley may be called into service to run the edger or the planer.  Usually I choose an H Farmall as they are the easiest to line up on the flat belt.  The straight frame makes an excellent sight to get the tractor positioned just right.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I've been up there. If Greg would just put a flea market in the feild you would think you was at an old time tractor show!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Sawyerfortyish

Hey Ron talk about some old Fricks out there still cutting wood my new mill {well new to me}is a frick my old mill that i just retired is an american sawmill made before the turn of the last century. I just set up a moulder and the electriction couldn't figure out the wires on the roller drives so I took it to a moter shop and found out the company went out of business 57 yrs ago the machine is early 1920s but just because it's old dont mean anything it's paid for and making money

D._Frederick

Noble,
You did not reply to my posting on 10/16/02 about your MM traction engine?

Bro. Noble

D_Frederick,

Didn't mean to snub you.  The old MM belongs to Dad.  If I talked about selling it and he found out, I wouldn't need a retirement plan.  I would really liked to have had my Uncle Amos' little case engine.  He kept it like a new one.  Sold at his estate auction for $9,000 about 15 years ago.  I didn't have the money to spend on it and would have had to look for a new cook if I had bought it.

Our old 10-20 is on steel, also have a F-12 on steel.  Man it wouldn't take but a few minutes to put in a days work on those things----jar your eye teeth out.  One of my F-12's belonged to my Mom's dad.  Grandad farmed all his life and only owned that one tractor but kept a team until he retired in the mid sixties.  He was a great big man and kept a well rope coiled and hanging on the air intake pipe of that tractor.  He wraped it around the belt pully and yanked it to start the tractor like you would a lawnmower.  I tried it after I came in posession of it.  My meager 200 # made a pretty poor showing.  I started doing limited tractor work on a B John Deere when I was about 6 and as a kid always wanted to try grandad's F-12.  He wouldn't let me near it but was always giving me jobs to do with the team.  Couldn't understand why such a big boy couldn't handle them.  I could tell What a Dummy stories about that.

Noble

DanG

Allllrighty then.  Let's have the "Dummy Stories." ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

DanG I sure stepped in that one.  Boy what a dummy.

Grandad bought one of those AC little round balers when they first came out.  Had all my uncles and cousins over to help haul the bales in.  He had two wagons, one pulled by the F-12 and one by the team.  Both were slow and it was a long way from the field to the barn.  Grandad and some of my older cousins stayed in the field loading while two uncles stayed at the barn unloading.  My uncle Lyle who was just older than I (but was trusted with the tractor) drove the F-12.  Grandad told me to take the team.  I had proven that I couldn't plow his watermelon patch with them and I think he was determined to find something I could do.  Thinking back, he probably figured the mares really didn't need me and would take good care of me.
I was doing fine on the way to the barn.  Stopped under the big oak tree to spell them just like Grandad said. Got to the corner of the barn, pulled the left ribbon and hollered HAW.  The team kinda made a 45 degree turn and stopped about 15 ft. from the barn.  Uncle Roy had to climb out of the barnloft and onto the load and circle the wagon around.  Told me next time turn them sooner and harder.  Next load I got alongside the barn, hauled back on the left line and really bellowed out HAW.  The team barely cleared the corner of the barn but the load didn't.  Uncle Roy had to climb out of the loft, climb up on the load, back up the team, reload about a fourth of the hay and then line up the wagon.  He told me next load bring my Grandad with me.

Noble

Fla._Deadheader

Now, THAT brings back memories.
  In Arkansas, we had an "Adopted Grandmama and Grandad" Baker. Grandad NEVER drove a vehicle. He was born in 1900.
  One day, I announced that I had just made a deal to buy a small tract of Timber from a neighbor. Grandad knew I couldn't skid it with my tractor. It was all hillside and up a steep "holler".
   He said when I get the first load felled, he would bring the mare and skid the logs to the bed for me. After 2 days, he showed with the mare. He took me up the holler to the first log and proceeded to show me how it was done, in the "old days". He NEVER used the "leather straps" ??, sorry guys, brain fart !!, other than to hold them so as not to walk on them, to guide the mare.
  Gee and Haw were all that was needed, and, of course, whoa and git up !!
  After the third log, he said, here, you may as well learn how to do this !!  NOW i wish I had a video camera handy.
  Things went well getting the mare and the skid tongs hooked to the first log. Getting her to go was EASY. Stopping was a different story !!
  Now, the logs laid on the hillside and you had to keep from getting the log onto the mare's legs as you went downhill. Grandad would "take advantage of the hill" by going sideways and down. As soon as the log gained a little speed or started to roll, he would Gee or Haw the mare next to a standing tree and the log would hit the tree and stop. He would then take off in a different direction and repeat the process. LOOKED EASY ENOUGH.
  Well, when I Geed or Hawed, the mare took ONE more step, and the log would JUST miss the tree and roll down the hill till it stopped by itself.
   ::)
Grandad would just smile and help me get re-positioned and we would have at it again.
  Actually, it got to be easy, as soon as i paid a little more attention to the length of the mare's step.
  Grandad and Grandmama raised 8 grandkids as their own. My family and I were accepted as their Grandkids just as their's were. Grandad was really proud that he made a "mule skinner" out of me and bragged to all the "real" grandkids about it.
  Grandad was REAL protective about the mares and to have me work them with his full trust really was an honor. I miss him. He died at age 97.
  There were plenty of things happening around our farm and with Grandad. He loved to sit in the front yard and listen to the "Jimmy" roar when I stuck a big log into the blade and the "goverment" kicked in.
  By the way, I was 39 years old when this took place.  Harold

TRACES!!! I think that's the word for the leather straps, AIN'T IT ??????????? 8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bro. Noble

The lines used to communicate with the brute were called reins or ribbons , but usually just lines.  The traces were what went to the single tree and were usually light chain where heavy pulling was involved.  

Noble

D._Frederick

Noble,
Those old traction engines are now a status symbol for the rich guys out here. They have there Kenworths and a lowboy to haul the engines and old tractors around to the fairs and steam-ups. The Case traction engines approach 50K  in the paper, I don't know if they sell for that much.

Fla._Deadheader

Thanks Noble. Yer right about the traces being small chain. Grandad had another word for the "lines".
   First, it is ridiculed;

Fla._Deadheader

Noble. Grandad called 'em "check lines".
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!