iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Driving in Canada

Started by Qweaver, February 03, 2014, 01:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

I have been going to Vermont for gas\fuel for a few years now and I don't have a passport and was never asked for one either going in or coming back, I do have an '' enhanced drivers licence'' . Here in Quebec its called a '' permit plus'', back ground check, it is only valied to enter the states by land or water, if I was to fly in I would need a passport for international entry, but once across I can take a flight from vermont to floridia if I wanted to.

As far as what you can take across, it is a long list best to look it up, I know one wont get away with any saussages  ::) >:(, fruits, uncooked meats are high on list. Each province has there own set of rules about liquor, if I was you any opened bottle would be kept in the camper  ;) 
  Have a nice and safe trip!   The Yukon is high on my places to visite, one of these years I may have caught up enough to just saye..... GONE FISHING !!!!!!    :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

Marcel, I wouldn't try it here without a passport, because you may not be let into the US. I know if you explain you forgot it, they usually let you in, but no guarantee. They look at your license if they allow it. They will let us in if we are renewing our passports and use a photocopy of the old one until the new one comes in the mail. You have to send the old original back when renewing, the reason for the copy. Just so you know it for any future travels. Same with up by the Sault, Ontario-Michigan
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Qweaver

About 10 years ago we spent 5 weeks traveling thru the canals and rivers of Canada.  The Canadian border officials came to our boats and did inspect them but they were very nice about it.  As we were interring back into the US, it was almost dark so we anchored just inside the US border by a few hundred feet to wait until morning for the customs office to be open.  A few minutes later a boat full of armed, military dressed US border guards roared up in their olive drab boat and really gave us the third degree.  They said that we were already in US waters and would have to proceed to customs immediately. 
We had already checked by phone and the customs officer had already gone home and we could check in in the morning.  After much discussion the officers finally relented and allowed us to stay there until morning.  I know they have a tough and sometimes dangerous job but these guys were just mean in their demeanor. We were just two boats full of old retired sailors and they could have done their jobs without being mean and condescending.
What a great trip that was.  Sarah cried as we finished the trip and prepared to take the boats out at Waterford, NY.  The same spot that we had put them in 5 weeks before.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

isawlogs

SwampDoonkey, I have gone through at Sarnia Ont. with out any problems, it is acepted at any border in Canada.  ;)  Even New Brunswick.... :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

They must be status cards or something. :D Where do I apply for mine? ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

turnkey

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 03, 2014, 09:56:00 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 03, 2014, 06:26:09 PM
We have to show our Canadian Passports here when re entering Canada and I also know they do in Ontario as I've crossed at the Saulte. I've asked them if it was required and they said it was now. How would a Canadian born and living here get a US passport? I think someone is pulling your leg. If he's using a US box office for an address, he might be in for a surprise some day.
From the Canadian Border Services Agency

Identification for Canada/U.S. travel

"If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification."

As I read it the commas mean "or"  followed by  "along with photo identification."

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to argue, just going by what I have read and what my neighbour has told me, He is a truck driver and has been to the US and returned at least 8 times since December. I will ask him if any thing has changed.

How would a Canadian born and living here get a US passport?
US born parents that moved here as children.

Or US citizens who move up there an take out Canadian citizenship (MY BIL/SIL did it)

Harry K

walterkilo

Or just being born in the US because the US hospital is closer...
Where my land is, most everyone has both nationalities...

Dominik
Dominik aka Walterkilo
Boucherville/Stanstead, Quebec.

SwampDonkey

My uncle was dual citizen, born in Fort Fairfield, Maine. He needed a Canadian passport like anyone else. Something doesn't wash.  ;D

coxy

they don't like you brining in potatoes  trust me  ;D

Magicman

I just got a book today:

Travelers Guide to Alaskan Camping
(Alaskan and Yukon Camping with RV or Tent)

by Mike & Terri Church

There is a lot more in it than campground information.  It covers many of the items that have been discussed here plus much, much more.

I would highly recommend it for anyone traveling to Alaska.  Of course the Milepost is the traveler's bible. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DonT

Did you tour the Rideau canal when you where on your boat tour?  I live about 500yds from ther river. Just a reminder when in Canada if you feel your vehicle pulling to one side of the road or the other it means you are nearing a Tim Hortons many locals can not pass one without stopping for coffee.

SwampDonkey

Don, I got a kick one time when hearing they set up a mobile Tim's over in Afghanistan for Canadian troops stationed there. The barracks was near or shared with US troops. And one of the fellows in the US camp said those Canadians will buy that coffee over there at Tim's and it's all free right here for the taking. I would have went to the US mess hall for my coffee. That's just because I'm an old miser. But it sure is unbelievable the lineups around them places and even some blocking traffic illegally for the swill. :D

thecfarm

Dunkin donuts here in the states. Lots of DD in gas staions now. I myself am to cheap to pay $2-3-4 for a coffee. Be it flavored or some other strange word. The few times I have brought it,I get a coupon in the mail. I am the odd one,just black. Non of that fancy stuff for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

They have Tim's in Maine to Cfarm, but they are not as popular as your DD's. There has always been a DD in Presque Isle for as long as I can remember. Tim's moved in there about 12 years ago. But as I said I don't buy prepared coffee. If I don't make it, I don't have it. ;D

Brucer

The enhanced driver's license was the brainchild of a group of Canadian provincial Premiers and the Governers of US border states. These licenses have to meet additional federal standards. I don't know if all the states have them now or not.

In theory Americans don't need a passport to get into Canada. However, they do need to have one to get back into the US. Canadian border agents have the authority to refuse entry to anyone who they believe might not be able to return to the US. So, no, you don't officially need one to get into Canada, but your probably need one to convince the Canadian border agents that you don't plan to stay forever ;D

The enhanced drivers license is equivalent to the passport for going either way, as long as it is at a land or ferry crossing.

The rule on liquour used to be a maximum of 40 ounces (or the metric equivalent). That's about 1-1/2 26 ounce bottles. I have watched a Canadian border agent pour liquour down the drain, hold the bottle up to eyeball the level, and pour a little more until the level was about right.

Crossing the border is not a big deal for most folks. We want your tourist dollars, and you want ours. Expect some questions -- where were you born, where are you going, what's the purpose of your visit. Not a big deal. The questions vary depending on who's in the vehicle. Don't lie -- if you get caught out, you will probably get turned away.

Driving up here is pretty much the same as in the US. Minor differences from Province to Province, just as there are from State to State. We're so close to the border right here that we see a steady stream of US vehicles.

For auto insurance you have to have valid liability insurance. Check with your insurance provider to make sure they cover travel in Canada -- they probably will, but check anyway.

Check your health insurance! Make sure you understand the terms of coverage. Usually if you get sick or injured your provider will want to get you back into the US for treatment ASAP. It doesn't matter that the treatment in Canada would be just as good, and a whole lot cheaper. They want you back and won't cover you if you get more than emergency care in Canada.

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

Swampdonkey,I use to pass a Tim 4 days a week on the way to work. Long line at DD drive through,MIGHT have 2 cars at Tim's. I did stop at the Tim's one early morning going to work. That was about 2 am. DD was closed. The DD we have in the little town where I grew up will have 2-3 cars just about everytime I drove by.Kinda like Burger King and McDonalds that I drive by. McDonalds is doing a thriving business and Burger is just about empty.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Qweaver

Quote from: DonT on February 04, 2014, 09:14:51 PM
Did you tour the Rideau canal when you where on your boat tour?  I live about 500yds from ther river.
We launched our sailboats in Waterford, NY and entered Lake Ontario at Oswego, spend a week in the Thousand Islands area, then thru the Rideau to Ottawa, down the Ottawa River to Montreal, The St Lawrence to the Richelieu and finally thru Lake Champlain back to Waterford.  What a wonderful time we had!  5 weeks and many locks.  We needed more time and had to hurry at the end.  We will do the Trent-Severn at some point.  Maybe after the Alaska trip.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

DonT

That's a nice trip,the  1000 islands are very nice,I work in that area and all along the Rideau.My parents have a piece of property that has been in the family since before they flooded the river.It went from one deed to two deeds each in a different county.I have lived most of my life on the river and never been through a lock.

Thank You Sponsors!