iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canadian Cheese boards

Started by Stephen1, May 11, 2021, 11:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen1

I had an interesting visitor to my yard about 3 months ago, an older gentleman (78 ) looking to have some wood sawn and KD. 
He arrives a good 30 min early for the appointment and I'm busy sawing. Well didn't get the 3rd degree about the mill and what I was sawing. I guess I had all the right answers and he has a good laugh. His name is Bernard Shimmel and used to build and sell sawmills. I think Enercraft, We have good long chat after that. Then he wants to see the vacuum kiln and understand it. He runs his own kiln to dry lumber. Another good long chat and again I have most of the answers. 
This gentleman sells 25,000 bd ft of cheese boards to grocery stores, farm boy, whole foods , loblaws. 
Now here comes the best part, he is in need of sawing and some KD work. Well thats what I do. 
He calls his cheese boards 'Functional Art'. (wait for it ;D)
Here is wood being delivered for me to start, 5 & 1/2 bush cords, see how I do. I was told by Bernard they would be the better quality firewood logs. 

the Logger called them  bucking logs, when I was talking to him for delivery, I was thinking logs not suitable for a processor, but  still logs. 

All I could think when I saw these "Logs" coming of the truck was the FF and YH telling the driver these are not logs. 
I ran the whole bunch live edge at 1" & 3/16" 5700 Bd Ft for the kiln from 5.5 bush cords. We SS 4 4' skids and 6 bundles for the Kiln. the kiln performed like I was told. 4/4 lumber dry in a week from the mill to the kiln in 6 days and then dry to 6% in 7.5 days.  It was the 1st full load of 4/4 'lumber', as we do mostly LE slabs in the kiln.    It was a nice job, a fair amount of wrestling with the logs, but mainly flop them on the bunks and saw them the way they landed.
I hired a local youth, who is living in a tent to help. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Walnut Beast

Interesting little story 👍

Crossroads

I have a customer in Washington state that goes around and gets free firewood from Craig's list, all black walnut,oak and maple. Most of it is roughly 16" pieces of firewood. I made a jig so that I can hold them and slab them. Anyway, he makes cheese boards and such out of them and fetches a nice price on Etsy. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

SwampDonkey

Like I said many times, there's value in all wood. ;D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

While you can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, you can certainly make a cutting board from a "firewood" grade log.  ;D No point trying to saw "grade" lumber from a log that doesn't contain any. 

Smart business is being able to cash in on that.  ;) Basically everyone wins, logger gets to sell junk logs, you get to saw and dry them, your customer gets affordable raw material, and end user gets a real wood cutting board. I don't see a down side to this deal. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Old Greenhorn

Well I was curious so I looked him up. Very sophisticated website he has! Looks like he does all wholesale. I was curious what these go for and I finally found one of his distributors with some prices, assuming those are his boards. $300 to almost $700 (CA)!
 Good for him! If he has outlets for that much material, you should stay pretty busy!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

From the title I thought you were visited by some Govt appointed bureaucrat who knows nothing about the matter for which the board he sits on regulates and they wanted advertising signs or something for the roadside creameries in Quebec.  Maybe a push on Poutine?    :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Sixacresand

At $10-20 each, 25,000 bd ft worth of cheese boards is a lot of money.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Crossroads

I make a mean smoked cheese, maybe I should work out a deal with him and sell a package with the board and a variety pack of smoked cheese 🤔

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

VB-Milling

Quote from: Crossroads on May 12, 2021, 12:29:11 AM
I have a customer in Washington state that goes around and gets free firewood from Craig's list, all black walnut,oak and maple. Most of it is roughly 16" pieces of firewood. I made a jig so that I can hold them and slab them. Anyway, he makes cheese boards and such out of them and fetches a nice price on Etsy.
This is basically why I got into chainsaw milling.  Always free hardwood on OfferUp, Craigslist, Letgo, FB Marketplace etc.  Load it up, mill it, dry it, build it, and always have the option to sell it or keep it.  Better than the city having to haul it to the landfill and mulch it.
HM126

Larry

Called charcuterie boards here, the name makes them a lot more valuable than plane old cheese boards. ;D

I saw lots of the crap.  They even bring me big limbs to saw!  The uglier the board, the higher the price goes.  Bunch of folks pour resin and the price escalates again.

Probably a bigger money maker than river tables.  Lots of folks can afford a couple hundred for a board, not many can buy a finished live edge table.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Stephen1

It really is a great storey. Right from the beginning and calling it functionl art. People love it. He only uses maple, ash, and cherry.
On my buisness card I " specialize in craft lumber" . Every one likes the Charcuterie boards or cheese boards. Part of the returning to nature movement. As long as I make money I'm happy. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Ed_K

When you sell these cheese boards do you put a coating of something on them or sell them raw?
Ed K

Stephen1

They have the wood certified as food grade  they treat the wood with 'Kosher' mineral oil. 

Crossroads

Quote from: Larry on May 12, 2021, 12:58:07 PM
Called charcuterie boards here, the name makes them a lot more valuable than plane old cheese boards. ;D

I saw lots of the crap.  They even bring me big limbs to saw!  The uglier the board, the higher the price goes.  Bunch of folks pour resin and the price escalates again.

Probably a bigger money maker than river tables.  Lots of folks can afford a couple hundred for a board, not many can buy a finished live edge table.
Yup, that's the $5 word he used to, but I wasn't even going to attempt it lol

Thank You Sponsors!