iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM Resaw attachment

Started by John S, June 17, 2014, 05:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Has anyone here used the resaw attachment?  I have an LT40 hydraulic.  A customer just called, he wants some 2in. cherry resawed to ½in for some Shaker boxes he is making.  He will then plane them to 3/8 in.
I am not seriously looking to spend $2500 at this time, but was wondering if anyone on FF has experience with it. It can also cut lapped siding and shingles apparently.  Thanks
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Sounds like you want to build an Arky Resaw Jig

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,38180.msg550131.html#msg550131

Seems like it'd work fine to do what you want to do and be a lot cheaper...

GAB

John:
Are you sure about the dimensions you mentioned?
I have sawed some cherry for Shaker boxes and the customer wanted 5/32" for the sides and 5/16" for the tops and bottoms.
As an FYI the resaws attachement and the SLR are two different accessories.
I have an SLR which I used to cut shakes and can be used to cut sideing.  I do not have a resaws attachment and I do not know if you can cut siding or shakes with one of those.
Yes sawing 5/32" thick with a 3/32" kerf make a lot of sawdust.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

customsawyer

I have the resaw attachment and it does a decent job. I would not want to do resawing on a regular basis with it but for what I bought it for it does fine. You can do lap siding with it, all you have to do is tilt the bed and you will be making two pieces at a time.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

woodyone.john

If the job pays for the 30 odd minutes to set it up and put away then it does a really good job.I have used mine to turn cants into weather boards, cut shingles,[same as weather boards but much thinner and then docked to length], and recently to cut 6mm [1/4"] for a laminated serpentine hand rail. Mine came with the WM when i bought it 2nd hand. I dont think I would pay too much to buy one as an extra unless you got a lot of resaw jobs to do.
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

GAB

customsawyer & woodyone.john:
Thanks for the info on how you folks saw siding using a resaws accessory.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Gadrock

What type blades might one consider when doing a resaw job?

How about hard dry wood vs non-dried wood?

What about the quality of the saw tracks?

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

woodyone.john

Because I sharpen and reset my own blades I only keep 1 profile and that is WM 10 degree 1 1/2  doublehards and a couple of stellite tipped.The double hards saw almost every thing I saw and if they dont [and thats rare] then stellite does.
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

Thank You Sponsors!