iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metal base on oak Post

Started by flatrock58, November 20, 2020, 09:36:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

I am planning on making a timber frame shed porch on the side of my shop in the next few months.  I was going to anchor the 8x8 white oak post to the slab using OZCO metal post bases.  Will I have problems with the metal lag bolts in the post base?  If so will stainless lag bolts solve the problem?

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

fishfighter

Biggest problem will be trapping water under the post and metal base. To help, I had bolted the base down. The hex bolt heads stuck up about a 1/4". The post sat down on them. That gave a gap in between the two were air will pass and dry things out. 

kantuckid

My 6x10 oak beams sit on edge on concrete piers with termite shields and roll foam sill underneath and bolted via hot dipped 5/8" J-bolts. For your post job look through the Simson-Strong tie catalog? I saw custom welded steel brackets you could use for sale on FB marketplace by the person fabricating them. Odd lots & surplus, etc.,  sold cheaper on ebay & FB from leftovers brackets and fasteners too.  
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Don P

HDG lags or coated ledgerlok type lags would be cheaper alternatives with good corrosion protection, less than SS but far better than regular lags.

kantuckid

I got a box of 50- 1/2"x 5" hot dipped lags for far less than any regular supplier on ebay. Same for Simpson-strongtie angle brackets they are holding now. Not a source for a commercial builder with valuable time though logical for old farts like me...
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Thank You Sponsors!