iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas 618 gearbox gasket

Started by chep, July 26, 2012, 03:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chep

Milling yesterday for the first solid session. 2x6 hemlock lumber. On a horizontal cut and suddenly I feel a burn on my shin. Oil is spewing from machine. Shut it down and upon further inspection found this

called baileys. Since I bought mill used, no longer under warrenty. Sam says it doesnt sound good and might have to throw down 1000$ on a new gearbox unit etc...

waiting to hear back from Lucas.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for diagnostics?  Bad bearings etc?

thanks

logboy

I've never had problems with mine but have heard from others who have. If its just the gasket that is bad I cant see needing a whole lower unit, but I'm not an expert on it. Does your manual have the diagram breakdown in it?

I change the trans fluid in mine periodically to clean out the metal. The main bearing gets a pump or two of grease after every day of sawing as recommended.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

chep

Thanks logboy for your response.
I contacted Lucas mills and they recomend a new gearbox... 1000 bucks. Yes it may be just that just the seal went bad. I dont know.  Again, I am not sure how to tell. I can spin the blade by hand, and it seems like the bearings are good... Again, I dont really know
The man from Lucas did tell me the components needed to rebuild the gearbox. It sounds pretty technical and I am wondering if anyone here has done that to their mill before?

sigidi

Chep, Lucas gearboxes are not user serviceable, they are exchange only units, you'll need to lay out for a new one I'm afraid mate. I did the gearbox on my 6-18 after about 6-7 years of commercial use. By the sound of the oil coming out black, I'd hazard a guess the previous owner put engine oil in the gearbox and that will have reduced the life of the unit (or they have never changed it and the 'red' transmission fluid has been badly burnt over time) and/or if they've been complacent enough to use engine oil in there, then one could guess they haven't serviced and greased that bearing the way they should have too - sorry mate :(
Always willing to help - Allan

logboy

Any progress on the lower unit?

js2743

There has to be another gear box that could be used that dont cost so much out there. I have a 8-27, I think im gonna start searching  for something now.   

chep

Actually arrived UPS this afternoon. New gearbox from Baileys. Pretty expensive and I hope worth it. I priced the sideshifter unit and the log chalks as well, but they are disgustingly costly, so i let them stay in California...

My brother is visiting for the week. He helped me rope down a couple of pines near the house today, and got a couple nice logs.... Tomorrow I hope to tackle swapping out the gearbox. Any tips would be very much appreciated! He wants to see the sawdust fly almost as badly as I do.

thanks

sigidi

Chep, your box will take about 30-35 min to swap out mate ;D so you will get some time making sawdust fly 8) it's pretty straight forward.

Personally I wouldnt bother with the chocks, I've used 'em sliced 'em to almost nothing, replaced 'em done it again and 're-desigend' them... have gone back to a notch type setup in my bearers - with some Al-adjustments ;)

The side shift winder on the other hand..... now that is a totally different kettle of fish - you wont know how much you needed one until you put one on. My old 6-18 wasnt 'hard' to move sideways, but that shideshift winder is a dream to move and when it comes to loading the mill in and out of the ute it is a terrific peice of gear 8)

logboy

What are you using for chalks now sigidi? I was wondering if anyone out there was using their aluminum setup. They arent cheap.

sigidi

Logboy, I use timber bearers with a couple 3x1 1/2 on top to make a notch about 5" apart, but I've also made it so bigger, flatter logs can fit in too.

Chep with your gearbox, use a block of wood or axle stand under the left hand side of the engine (opposite to the gearbox) and wind the top nut up to give play for your belts, then lower the rails so the engine pivots up and loosens your belts so you can free up the gearbox, replace box then wind rails up so engine comes back down onto bottom belt tension nut, then you'll save a bit of time and won't need to 're-tension' the belts. Good luck if ya have trouble drop me a pm

chep

Thanks for the advise. It took me and my bro a lot more then "30-35 minutes" to swap out the gearbox, but its done now. The mill is running alright. I need to send my blades out to get them retipped... I think that will make a big difference with my feed rates. 
  I am having fun trying to learn the quirks. It is a great experience. Once I get the swingblade feature sorted, I will put on the slabber and get to it. I will try to include some pics as well. I got some pretty cool pieces of wood that I am pretty excited to open up.

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!