iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another new guy

Started by trimguy, November 25, 2019, 10:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trimguy

my story. I built a homemade bandsaw mill a couple of years ago. I'm not very good with computers but I found this website a few months ago. I have been lurking around here since then {it comes up when I turn my computer on }. I have received a lot of help from the people on here asking and answering other peoples questions. I thought it was about time to step up and say " Thank you everybody ". Also, with help, will try to give you some pictures.

Banjo picker

Welcome.  You done pretty good for a first post.  Pictures took me a while. What you gonna cut with that mill?  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Brad_bb

That's something else, to make a mill out of some metal racking material! How does it cut?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, trimguy!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF trimguy!  You did a fine job building your mill!  looks nice.
You also did a fine job posting pictures.  
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ManjiSann

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for contributing! 

Nice job repurposing the racking! How is it working? 

Don't leave us in suspense, we want more details! What are you planning to cut?

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Crusarius

Interesting idea using the pallet racking like that. It looks like it would twist alot. You done good. I like it.

Hilltop366

Greetings from Nova Scotia!

RAYAR

Looking good, now that you had fun building your mill, you'll have fun making sawdust. Welcome from New Brunswick.
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

A-z farmer

Welcome to the forestry forum trimguy
Very nice job on the bandsaw build.
Zeke

trimguy

thanks for all the welcomes ! I plan on cutting all I get a chance to, I don't have a lot of time right now. with the information I read on here while lurking it cuts good. I put auto screw jacks under my bunks for support , but it is not as heavy duty as I would like. almost all the material was repurposed . blade covers are sheet metal off the sides of old stoves and driers.here are a couple more pictures of what I'm doing with the wood.

trimguy

the pavilion is all wood off the sawmill except the treated posts. yes, they are done pouring my concrete.

WV Sawmiller

Welcome and some good looking benches and shed.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mtoo747

Nice job! And i like the benches too. Are you selling them?
mike

trimguy

no I'm not selling them . they are for a picnic table I'm working on.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Nice work! How do you attach your legs to you benches? I don't see any fastener holes.
 Welcome to the forum, pull up a stump and share some stories.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

samandothers

You've been busy!   Very nice design on the bench in the first pictures.  The others look good too.

trimguy

I don't have a picture right now but, on the benches I drilled 3- 3/4" holes in the top about 3/4" deep above the legs. I used 5 1/8 GRK screws to attach them . then I used a plug cutter to cut plugs and glued them in the holes. I hope you can picture this.

Old Greenhorn

OK, I get the plug cutters and plugs. Are you saying you use screws that are 5 and 1/8" inches long? GRK make a LOT of different screws, did you use anything special? You sure must have done a great job with the plugs matching the grain because I sure can't see them, and believe me, I looked hard. :)
 Nice work. Fair notice, I am stealing your idea. ;D ;D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

trimguy

thanks . the ones I used had a "washer'  type head. that's also how I attached the cross piece underneath. your more the welcome for the idea. something  I didn't think about to start with is you need a drill press for a plug cutter {no center point} , so now I also own a drill press. ;D

Old Greenhorn

I can't find my plug cutter so I have to but a new one. but I have (I think) 5 drill presses spread around (maybe it's 4, I lost count), so that is not an issue.  :D

Nebraska

Thank You Sponsors!