iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

12x16 Jack Sobon shed center bent brace's

Started by slice107, February 05, 2021, 10:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slice107

If I use a wedged dovetail on the center bent in jacks book could I get away without adding the braces??  I know snow load and everything will change it but just a rough estimate??

I just don't want the braces inside getting in the way of stuff that might go there. A 12x16 is small enough once you add all your crap inside. :)

The other option I thought about was using a smaller brace along with the wedged dovetail? Instead of the 36" brace use something like a 20" brace.

I don't think I'll be building the loft, but i might end up after all.
Stihl 028, Husqvarna 288,285, Stihl MS500i, Ford 8n.

Huztle/Farmertech 36" CS mill

Norwood HD36

esarratt

I'm not the one to answer your dovetail question.  Two thoughts:

1) Send a quick email to Jack Sobon.  He has answered numerous questions for me over the years.

2) Use a knee, a corbel or a let-in brace.  The knee can be smaller than the one in the pic.  The let-in brace does not have to be fancy.

slice107

I sent Jack an email. We shall see what he says.

That knee is a good idea to.
Stihl 028, Husqvarna 288,285, Stihl MS500i, Ford 8n.

Huztle/Farmertech 36" CS mill

Norwood HD36

Jim_Rogers

What we did was use a curved log that we cut in two and made two book matched braces:

As you can see it allowed a lot of head room and still worked in compression to hold the bent firm.

Jim Rogers
PS. I wrote a story about how to layout and cut a piece of book matched curved brace stock. Search for it here and if you can't find it let me know.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

CJ

I don't know. I built the same structure, but a 14'X18' dimension in stead of the 12'X16' as outlined in the book and I don't find the braces intrusive. That's just me though. I believe that braces are there for more than just snow load, but for stability overall. I do like the modified knee support. Cheers!

Thank You Sponsors!