iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Foundation to Post connections Part 3

Started by Jim_Rogers, August 18, 2003, 06:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

During a recent phone conversation with my timber framing cad software rep, I discussed with him the need for more information about connecting posts or frames to foundations.
He suggested the following web site:
http://www.strongtie.com/products/selection/caps_bases.htm

On this page of their site you can see the type of connectors you might want to use.
There are many types available from this company. Some look like this:

Hope this helps.
Jim
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

DanG

Thanks for the effort and the link.  The third one down on the left is exactly what I've been thinking of building. I wouldn't trust anything just fastened into the bottom of the post, with the wind loading we can get from hurricanes around here. We've been lucky for a lot of years, and are overdue for a bad one.
Any idea what's the deal with the screws they mentioned? Says lag bolts won't do.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jim_Rogers

All I know is what it says on that page. The screws come with the bracket and they meet code. So I'd use them and remove all guess work. Good luck, Jim

DanG

Since I had to do my own leg-work :D I'll share what I found by digging further into the Simpson page.  The screws are basically a souped up lag screw, but they are designed for shear strength, rather than tensile. I'm impressed with what I've seen on that page, so far.  Seems like those folks know their stuff. They put a lot of effort into telling you what NOT to use a given product for, and they tell you why. I like that. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Dang, ya gonna Timber Frame yer house, or, are ya thinkin Saw shed???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jim_Rogers

I didn't dig that deep :P I'm glad you did ;) And I hope it helped you to understand. Jim

DanG

Probly start with a TF chicken coop, then a saw shed.  The house will be several projects away.  TF makes a lot of sense for the style house we'd like to have.

Wife says she'd like to have an old house. I told her that it'll be old by the time I finish it. :D  No problem creating the "rustic" look, either, with my carpentry skills.  She says we may as well put the wheelchair ramps on the original plans. :-/

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!