iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

90 Log Timber Frame Order

Started by T Welsh, December 12, 2012, 06:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Welsh

I got a call from a contractor to come and look at logs from a property restoration! Turns out they are turning a old property into a horse farm and the previous owner had planted Eastern White pines and Norway Spruce on the land. When I showed up and met the contractor there was a mountain of pines all pushes into a pile by a bulldozer! He needed to get these logs off the property ASAP. I talked it over with him and he said he wanted to haul them up state and make a timber frame with them,it turns out that he has a Woodmiser and saw value in the logs. We talked and once he found out that I could saw them,he said bring in a machine buck,trim and load and haul them to your yard and saw them into timbers and beams for me! We negotiated a price on the spot and said do it. It took me 8 hrs to haul 90 logs to the yard. I was on tired puppy after the days end. And was overweight a few trips,but I got his logs off the job site that very same day. I will start to saw these logs in a day or two,they should turn out nice,very little knots in the logs at all because of being grown in a plantation! Tim

Magicman

Many times opportunity knocks in the strangest ways so we just never know and need to always be prepared.  It sounds like you were.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Any logs going to make it in the thread you started? Logs to drool over.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AdamT

Nice score!!! What's the average size of these logs?
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Leigh Family Farm

So, you want some help on Saturday?  ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

T Welsh

MM, You've been there and done it,just as I have. And your right I was there at the right time!AdamT, 20" to 30" just the right size for 10x10 and 12x10.thecfarm,I will stick up a couple of pictures on this thread, but logs to drool over,well I live in the Oak,Walnut & Cherry capitol of the world and pine just doesn't cut it for me,but in all fairness its great quality!kilgrosh, See ya Saturday. Tim

T Welsh

I got the Pine logs staged ready to process.

I got 6 hrs in the other day and started with the smaller logs to see how they ran through the mill. Customers dimensions where 8x8,8x10 and 10x12 with 3x5 braces. I was able to saw 18 logs in the 6 hour period!

All hearts boxed. Tim

Dave Shepard

Very nice! You should have a heck of a pile of side lumber as well. I just did a 131 timber order last month. Mostly 6"x6" and 6"x7 1/2".
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

T Welsh

I am running the smaller logs at the moment! That way it will tell us what size we are short on,and when we get to the larger dia. logs we are sure to have what is needed for this project. Had a FF member come out and give me a hand today. Kilgrosh wanted to see what milling was all about,I got saw dust on him and he was hooked. I ran logs for about 2 to 3 hrs and then put him to work running the mill as I shuffled logs and feed him and loaded the customers trailer with timbers and beams! Thats Brian! Tim

Leigh Family Farm

My pleasure!  ;D It was tons of fun. Definitely getting a hydraulic mill though, no question about it. Even the pine 8x10s were heavy!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

hunz

Just curious, are your customers allowing for timber/beam shrinkage when asking for finished dimension cuts when you all saw the logs up? I am in the process of milling 109 logs for my own timber frame and am sawing all beams larger than the finished blueprint dimension to allow for movement and shrinkage. The reason I ask is because I have experienced some definite shrinkage with moisture loss in previous EWP I have sawn.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

T Welsh

hunz, I doubt it. He is taking the timbers to storage in Philly for future use! What ever they turn out to be when dry is not an issue to him. He is a general contractor by trade and should know all about shrinkage! Tim

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tim thats some nice looking beams there & and a nice score on the job Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Hunz I saw both Green sawn to final size Cut oversize dry and re sized timber only differences  for me ones dearer  but stable but if your planing on putting it strait into something Greens what i like to work with as far as timber framing is concerned  ;)

Also if you get your pine out of the same block and saw parts that are fro the same parts of the tree they will behave in a uniform way  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

T Welsh

Meadows, Thanks, They are nice logs,almost no knots on butt logs and very few larger than 2 to 3 inches on the 2nd cut logs. Pine behaves well in this area,very little shrinkage at all. My deal with the customer is to saw one day and he comes and picks up a loaded trailer and hands me a full days pay in cash! Works really well for me and doesn't overload our tree service schedule. Tim

Thank You Sponsors!