The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: My timber frame build  (Read 82295 times)

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
  • Happily retired... Working harder than ever!
    • Share Post
Re: My timber frame build
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 01:42:41 AM »
Got word back on March 7 from the county.  They accepted the fire plan and love the timber frame and foundation (Thanks, Ben the structural engineer - Fire Tower Engineered Timber, Inc.).  I omitted a few details that they want to see.  I am building under Title 25, sparsely populated rural development.  As such I do NOT need a heat source or electricity.  If I use wood as a heat source, I don't need to do heat calcs (for windows or insulation).  However, since I have plumbing (which I neglected to draw on the plans), I need a pump which draws power - so I need to do electrical drawings.  I will have a tank-less water heater, so I need to do energy calcs for that - seems pointless, its a tank-less and is the most efficient thing you can buy!  I didn't show balusters on the stair cases, so I need to draw that up as well as indicating the window sizes.  I also had to go out and survey the road/easement so I can show it is built according to the fire code/fire marshal specifications.  I've finished half of the changes so, onward and upward!

No snow on the ground - temps up a 5,800' are upper 30's overnight, 50's-60's daytime.  I know, the minute I have my building permit in hand, 10' of snow will dump on my property!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »
Once again, a long time between posts.  After a bit of back and forth, but as of 7/17, I have a permit in-hand  8) 8) 8)

I had to have the lot line surveyed (building within 60' of lot line) and it moved quite a bit from the initial flagging.  I started looking into having a waver from the fire department (they set the 30' minimum setback for clear space requirements).  Since my neighbor's property has a large gravel lot against my building site, they said no problem.  However, the county wants a ton of paperwork, more surveys and other junk :(  So, I remeasured, slid my building site and I can just barely get it on the level area.  I didn't want to cause another 60+ day delay.

So, time to start digging so I can pour my footings and do my block foundation before the snows that we might get this year (not much last year, or the year before).  I need to get some prices on local concrete and rebar.  I have to do it in two phases.  Phase 1 is to pour the footings with rebar sticking up every foot and then stack the Fastwal with rebar and fill that in phase 2.

Debating whether to collect "free" 2x6's for the form boards or to hurry up and finish my sawmill and make my own 2x12's from some of the trees I took out last year to make my road down to my septic.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/32" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 12:34:00 AM »
Minor diversions in my cabin build.  First, I made a new bucket for my SkyTrak - a 6 foot one.  Here is what it looked like when I finished it:

Works great for gravel and dirt.  But it doesn't like the big rocks I have  :(  So, after a day of digging it looked like this:

Note how straight the back is now!  I torched the nice creases, leaving a little to act as a hinge.  Do you think LogRite is missing an opportunity to market their tools...

:D :D
With the help of a 12 ton bottle jack:

Its back in shape again.  I reinforced the top edge with some leaf springs, thinking they are tough.  I also put in some on a diagonal in the top corners to strengthen that area.  I managed to snap the leaf springs in two places - not as tough as I thought.  Re-welded and back in action.

So, I have water and septic at my site and a lot of nasty, fine dirt that just coats me from head to toe.  So, I decided to make a bath house (6'x8'x7'h).  Same roof pitch as my cabin plans and features a 32"x32" one-piece fiberglass shower, a sink and a (low flow) toilet.  I cut and nailed up the panels in my driveway and will transport it flat on my trailer.  I have some foam insulation and will finish the inside (paint) before taking it up there.  Should be able to assemble in about 2 hours.

Decided to add some plywood on the ceiling joists and a little ladder.  We now have a tiny cabin!  I'll put a queen air mattress up there and have a fold down bed down below for a twin air mattress.  I was hoping to install it this weekend but I needed to run the sewer line.  You can see where it comes out of the septic tank in the background at the end of the pipe that is not connected:

Turn to the right and the bath house will be up on the flat in the far background.

The shovel (way back there by the 4" sewer pipe) is between two big rock that I didn't pull out when I was digging.  I have about 10 feet more of trenching to do and then I'll make 6 anchor pads to bolt the floor beams on to.  Hope to do that Saturday.  I will have a battery and solar cell to run lights and a 12v RV pump (20 gallon water barrel), a propane tankless water heater and a pressure tank (that will eventually go in the cabin).  Just need a BBQ and it's home!

When done, my son and I can run up Saturday morning, work all day, spend the night and work part of Sunday before heading home.  Don't have to take the Pop-up camping trailer up and down the hill so much.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 11:36:55 PM »
Let the building begin!

Back on post #41 from 1 year ago ::), I was debating on whether to pick up come "free" 2x6s (old decking) for the form boards or finish my mill and make my own.  Well, my mill is up and running and I made some boards

And quite a stack of some other 2x8 and 2x10.  I started on the lowest corner (North West) using my 2x12s to start forms for the foundation.

This is looking SE.  The NW corner is about 3 feet lower than the SE corner so I will be stepping my foundation.  Placement of the cabin was kind of determined by that giant bolder.

Going camping soon so there will be no progress for the next 2 weeks.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »
I've spent a few more days working on making boards and using them up.  I'd say I'm at the 50% point now:

This is the SE corner looking north-ish.  The bottom of the picture is missing the left side board as is the one going to the left.  This is one of three foundation walls that will be holding up the porch (12' deep).  A 4x8 door will be centered about where my level is resting on the form board.  To the left, in the next bay, will be a 9' wide x 8' high garage door.  At the top of the shovel handle you can see the form boards from the previous post.  This corner is 4 feet higher than the opposite corner.  After I lay the rebar, I will put the cross pieces on the forms where the footings step down.  If you know where to look, you can see them (3 on this side) - bad photo angle.

I only have a few 2x8s left so I drug out 5 more logs to slice up tomorrow.  Looks like they will make me a bunch of 2x6s and 2x8s and maybe a couple 2x12s out of one log.  Its nice to be able to use these logs up before they rot any more.  Some of the wood is REALLY nice, almost clear.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2015, 11:38:29 PM »
Back on May 28th of this year, I was digging the trench for the water line from the well down to where it will enter the basement and on to the bath house (behind the trees on the left):

That was just to the left of this picture from today - the form boards are in! 8)

I still need to run the flat rebar (down the left side and on the far end), put in the blocks where the foundation steps (down in this case) 8" each step (five total on this side).  Then I need to add the vertical bars 12" OC for the ICF blocks.
John Sawicky

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Board Moderator
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • Share Post
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »
John:
Any of those bad fires in your area?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline jimdad07

• Seeking Information
    • Share Post
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »
Looks great, must have been some serious boulders to bend your new bucket.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2015, 11:06:57 AM »
John:
Any of those bad fires in your area?

Jim Rogers

The "Valley" fire is about 2 hrs west of me (not a direct route to it) and the "Butte" fire is 1 hr south-east.  Both fires are near my previous employer's generation sites. 

The Butte fire has been prevented from impacting the site and the employees had been evacuated from their homes but are all back now, no one lost their homes.  Some 6,400 structures threatend with 252 residences & 188 outbuildings destroyed and 17 structures damaged in that 70,000+ acre fire.  Thought to have been started by a live tree hitting a power line (PG&E and CDF are investigating).

The Valley fire was unusual - it started as a 400 acre fire and updrafts sent embers flying miles downwind which spawned more fires.  It grew to 40,000 acres in 8 hours! :o  Structures Threatened:    7,650 residential and 150 commercial properties 
Structures Destroyed:   585 homes destroyed and hundreds of other structures are know to be destroyed as well in this 73,000+ acre fire.  My fellow ex-employees are starting to return to their home, though some had lost everything - extent unknown at this point.

Both fires are still burning with less than 50% containment.  Rain and cooler temps yesterday helped.  Over the past weekend, the sky for miles was filled with smoke and it got nasty at time here.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36:15 AM »
Spent quite a bit of time bending rebar to make the #5 vertical  rods on 12" centers.  I had picked up over 100 pieces of 9' #5.  I made two bends 12" apart at the center and then two more 9" (or so) 90 out so I ended up with a pair of "L" connected at the bottom.  I tied those to the three rods in the footings.  Had to do a little custom bending here and there.  So a day of bending and a day of placing give me this:

Notice in this picture, the big rock?

There probably should be some dowels (rebar pins) set in there, right?  How many and what spacing?

On this rock, it doesn't protrude as far into the forms.  Should I still dowel it?

And no, these rock were not coming out.  I did manage to pop out a couple 6'x7'x8' rocks, but these would not budge.  Kind of wished I move the foundation over another foot or so, but you never know what you could run into...
John Sawicky

Offline jimdad07

• Seeking Information
    • Share Post
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2015, 01:00:04 AM »
Might be a good idea to pin it, that spot might weaken your foundation a little.  Looking great though.
Hudson HFE 30 Homesteader bandmill w/28' of track
Couple tractors, a bunch of chainsaws and not enough time to use them.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2015, 11:30:15 PM »
Re: rock inclusion into footings - pin with rebar.

I had a (email) conversation with my engineer and the county.  The county wanted some new calc on how this will be handled.  My engineer took the pictures (from above) and added some annotations and representation of rebar pins to be place on 12" intervals, minimum of 5 pins.  They said that will be adequate and does not affect the calculations.

I spend the better part of 3 days using a jackhammer to drill eight 3" deep holes (all the engineer said was necessary) in the sloped rock.  The vertical one does not need any.  Then I epoxied in some rebar long enough to go at least 12" up into the block wall that will be set on the footings.

I called and scheduled and inspection for today (Friday) back on Wednesday - when I was done with the epoxied-in rebar.  The automated system gave me Friday and a confirmation number.  I called back to talk with a real person and questioned the Friday appointment since the web site says they only do  "East of Yuba Gap" on Mondays.  My property is AT Yuba Gap exit.  She assured me that it would happen on Friday.

Thursday I spent the day clearing out my slab pile from by the mill (probably a cord of firewood) and all the trimmings from around the footing forms to make it look good for the inspection (and better footing when we pour).

This morning, just as I was about to call to find out what 2-hour window I should expect them, the county called.  They said they don't do my area "East of Bowman" (which is about 10 miles west of my property) on Fridays - only Mondays.  I explained to her that a real person confirmed the time - she just said they won't be out... >:( :-X

So, Monday it is.  In the mean time, I picked up almost all of the concrete rubble (demolished slab) in the gravel field (adjoining my property) and added to my firetruck turnaround (required by the fire marshal).  Didn't get a picture but might snap one on Monday.  In digging out the rubble, there was this troublesome piece of rebar.  I decided to finally get it out before I poke a hole in my SkyTrac tires.  I chained it up to the forks and lifted - it zipped along, rounded a corner and popped out a bunch of concrete blocks filled with concrete - stuck in pairs.  Other than mangled, the 20' length of rebar was clean - no concrete stuck on it.  Doesn't surprise me, the chunks of concrete slab had the 1" river cobble stuck on one side and an impression of the remesh.  They just poured the concrete on the remesh and never lifted it into the wet concrete.  Yes, they used round river cobble (landscape marble rock) as a base for the slab.  ::)

I made 7 or 8 trips with my 4'x5' trailer pulled with my ATV.  Probably 1,000# per load.  Was kind of a challenge to keep it moving in the gravel without digging in.  A lot better than using the wheelbarrow!  There is probably 3 or 4 more loads to move that I will probably do on Monday either when I'm waiting for the inspector or after (if they show up early).  Then I should be ready to have the concrete trucks and the pumper wash out in that area.  I have to drive by (over) this gravel field to get to my cabin (easement) so I'm cleaning it up so it looks decent.  I told my neighbor that I want to get rid of the gravel - you really can't drive on it - you sink.  He's good with me disposing of it.  I will use it around my footing for the drain pipes - really all that it is good for.

Wednesday is the scheduled pour - 24 yards to fill about 180' of footings - weather forecast is calling for rain late in the day.  We should be done by 12 or 1 pm.  The rain shouldn't hurt the footings.

John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2015, 02:28:04 AM »
Progress - concrete! 8)

So rain was predicted for Wednesday, so I backed it up a day.  Concrete was scheduled for 1:30 in the afternoon (big PG&E job in the area took the morning).  Pumper arrived and set up by 1:00.  First concrete truck arrived at 2:40  :-\

I have no idea what I was thinking when I ordered 24 yards.  It was evident when the first truck was done with the first 10 yards that 24 was way too much.  Second truck arrived just a short while after the first truck was finished washing out.  He got lost...  I canceled the cleanup truck of 4 yards but was stuck with the second 10.  We finished up the forms by 3:30 and dumped the remaining 3 to 3.5 yards in an area I had placed broken slabs for the firetruck turnaround.  I guess I'll keep adding to that and make a nice parking area  ::)

It did rain on Wednesday so I returned on Thursday and Friday to remove the forms, level some dirt, mark where doors and windows will be in the ICFs and measured with my transit to see how good (or bad) the footings came out.  Not perfect but not too far off.  I need to set the first course of ICFs in mortar, so I can adjust for the differences.  Its just a pain because I have 5 steps in the foundation (on each side).

Here is what it looked like Thursday morning:

And Friday evening before I went home:

More rain predicted for Sunday and mix of snow on Monday.  Will return on Tuesday to do some work - looking at a week of sunny days, but highs in the low 50's.  Starting Thursday through Sunday, my brother is down from Ashland and will be helping me square up and bed the first course, then dry stack up the first 6 feet (8 feet in the back) and hopefully have an inspection on the 9th.  My goal is to get that poured so I can backfill the two feet I need for frost protection (footing will actually be down 3 feet).
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
More progress.  With my brother and my son's help, we got started on laying the first layer of FasWall block in mortar.  The remaining courses are dry-stacked and then filled with concrete (pumped in).  We spent the later part of Thursday, and all of Friday and Saturday setting and laying block.  We had two additional helpers on Friday and one on Saturday.  Here is my brother teaching my son how to lay mortar:

My son would deliver the blocks (12x24x8) where needed, packed up insulation that was removed from some of the cells and fetched tools without complaint.  He did a fantastic job and now knows how to set block!

Here is what we had at the end of the last day:

The long wall on the right was the last stuff done.  With that done, I can dry stack a LOT of blocks.  The mortaring is better than half done now - another 75' or so to do out of 180'.

Light snow falling today Heavy snow falling tonight :( and supposed to be clearing up for the rest of the week but rain again next week.   :(
John Sawicky

Offline SLawyer Dave

• I don't need a gym, I cut and split firewood
    • Share Post
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 03:24:31 AM »
Moving right along.  Great work.  Glad to see the family is getting involved too.

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 08:21:36 PM »
Went up today with my son and his friend to play in the snow.  Looks like Monday delivered about 4" of snow.  My mill and storage shed:

My walls look like this now:

Pretty, but sure puts a crimp in the construction.  I scraped the snow off the tops of the walls and it should clean up tomorrow as it warms up a bit.  I'll probably go up on Friday to add some blocks.
John Sawicky

Offline fishfighter

• In Memoriam
  • I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2015, 05:35:18 AM »
Looking good. What is that white stuff? ;D

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »
Setting up and using scaffolding is slow.  I decided I needed something more adjustable.  So I made a Scaffold platorm for my SkyTrac:

I made it so it can slide on the forks long-ways or short-ways.  The railing is down the middle so I can work from either side.  It easily holds 24 blocks with room to work.

That made it easy to place a lot of block quickly.  I position it just above the current top block so I can reach over the rebar and don't have to bend down too far to place it.

The rest of my block is snow-locked!  I cannot get my SkyTrac to it - no tread on the tires and no chains.  If I don't get too much more snow during Monday's storm, I'll have to handle the blocks individually to continue my foundation.
John Sawicky

Offline ljohnsaw

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2015, 10:50:38 PM »
Well, I went up the hill on Wednesday the 18th and found my site like this:

Its not much (for you guys back east), but 6" puts a bit of a damper on things.  I cleaned the snow off the tops and dry stacked another 2 pallets (108 blocks) on the existing walls.  Couldn't do any mortar setting of blocks on that day.

Went back today (Friday) and cleaned off the remaining slush off the footings and laid a few blocks up to the steps in the footings.

With these few blocks added, I could now stack another 2 pallets.  Tomorrow I hope to lay a lot more of the remaining first course with my son's help.  There is about 64' of block to lay (32 blocks).  If I get all or most of that done, then Sunday will be a high-volume day dry stacking block - hoping to knock out about 5 or 6 pallets!

More snow expected on Tuesday  :(  My cabin is at 5,800', snow level is expected to drop to about 2,500'! :-X
John Sawicky

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2015, 11:54:58 PM »
ljohn
Making progress, albeit some slow.

Be careful, as it looks like there are plenty of very slippery spots, and many bad things to fall on, on your way down.

Thanks for the pics...
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
First Timber Frame Build

Started by aguaman99 on Timber Framing/Log construction

27 Replies
Last post February 02, 2019, 03:24:33 PM
by aguaman99
xx
My timber frame build pics.

Started by Tim_W on Timber Framing/Log construction

19 Replies
Last post February 09, 2020, 05:21:10 PM
by BCsaw