iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutterboy

Yesterday I dropped another white birch. Got three 8' logs from it.

The tree landed funny and the butt ended up 6' away from the stump.

Rot in the butt log. I don't know how far the rot goes up but the top end of the log is fine. I'll deal with it when I saw it.

The 2nd and 3rd logs are ugly ones. It should be fun to see what I can do with them on the saw mill.

My stash of birch logs just got a bit bigger.

Happy cutting.....Cutter

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

PoginyHill

Quote from: PoginyHill on December 03, 2021, 07:37:01 AM
Quote from: John Mc on December 02, 2021, 09:56:17 AM
Quote from: g_man on December 02, 2021, 09:17:32 AM
I like to pull out firewood this time of year.

gg
The main access trail leading form the house out to the rest of my property is still too wet & mushy to drive on without tearing it up. Improving that will be a project for next summer.
Ditto from a Canadian border town. Most of my access would still be muddy if I tried to drag stuff out now. I may test it out this weekend to see how bad it is.
Most areas in my back 40 were frozen enough to drive over. Took the opportunity to spread the remaining Gabion stone (8" minus) - about 14 yds - on the road through my cedar stand. Here it is very rocky and areas that don't freeze in the winter. The area I spread it on was the worst area. The before/after pics are not from the exact same vantage point, but is the same area. I did final spreading the next day after a couple inches of snow.

Before/after:

Taken from the opposite direction. Case 310 in the background:

Still some wet areas, but most are passable:

Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

g_man

Bruno of NH

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 05, 2021, 08:35:11 PM
1 more firewood customer tells me they forgot to check and they have 24-48hrs worth of wood left I'm going to snap 🤦‍♂️ told the one guy tonight I had nothing better to do on a Sunday night at 730, personally I would let them start using furniture. 3 this week. Had another one today 🤦‍♂️

Another year I never get my wood in.

Walked thru the bar today with my business partner and his wife, she DID NOT appreciate my jokes about structural integrity poles, where the stage was going, or only employing girls named Candy / Brandy / Mercedes / Alexis 😆 he's worse than I am, horrible life choice but I'm 110% behind it.

not 1 but 2 processors to flip. 🤦‍♂️😆
The guys with that 460 / 620C think I'm a fool, I'm going to laugh all the way home.
Tell them to go to your store for bundled wood till you can get there.
I still have folks calling.
I'm shutting it down till I get a faster splitter. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

I have not found a wet hole that rocks won't make it better.  ;) I have one place that is up in the air 3 feet. And another that would be 4 feet high, but it keeps sinking.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ehp

She is windy here . We have no hydro power so got generator running . Hope we get power before to late tonight 

ehp

I cut mostly big old nasty black oak again today . It was windy enough I could fall fairly big trees the opposite direction that the tree wanted to go so no trees hit any fields which is nice cause no cleanup in the fields

Firewoodjoe

Yep windy here to but otherwise a little different. Ugh I must be truly getting old cause I'm not ready for this. Should be looking at 12-16" total in the morning.

mike_belben

Today was the first day with that finger chilling wet cold.  I covered the garden for a hard frost tonight and thats about it today.  Hate the cold. 
Praise The Lord

ehp

That is one thing I do not want to see is snow until I get what I fell today picked up.   Guess the wind took about of telephone poles out about 3 miles from the house   we hot about 2500 people without hydro . She is below freezing outside now and could be about 15f in the morning here

ehp

Cutterboy where do you live ?, if your 60 to 70 miles from me and in the USA you must be a cross Lake Erie.  No snow so got everything cleaned up and plan is to go cut the walnut in the morning , nothing like NW gets but it should pay better than nasty black oak and red pine  ;D, It does feel like snow right now thou

BargeMonkey

Sometimes you've gotta drop what your doing to help someone else, it's a small world for guys cutting wood. He would do it for me. I'm debating if I want to own that machine 🤦‍♂️

This is the link to the TikTok the GF made unloading, it's PG13 so not for kids due to Big Mike's audio. 🤷‍♂️
LINK DELETED BY ADMIN

HemlockKing

A1

mike_belben

A normal hound dog hangs around scheming to get your wife.  Barge helps you out to get a good look under your skidders skirt and see if he wants to put a ring on it.

:D :D :D
Praise The Lord

ehp

Barge , everyone knows you donot want to own that machine , you want to own 5 of them but you want at least a 620E or so but has to be a E or newer models so you get a faster top gear instead of like 6 mph empty top speed

cutterboy

emp, not you. My response was directed to Ed K in Layden Massachusetts.  :D Sorry for the confusion.

ehp

Ok. I was thinking those miles must be alot bigger than what a mile use to be 

Crusarius

Aren't you guys to the uphill both ways in the snow age? :)

Those miles always get bigger :)

mike_belben

if youre from the congested northeast, your first country mile walk just up the road a piece with a gas can will be a shocker!
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on December 08, 2021, 06:19:57 AM
A normal hound dog hangs around scheming to get your wife.  Barge helps you out to get a good look under your skidders skirt and see if he wants to put a ring on it.

Nothing gets passed Detective Belben 😆 

About 3 good days and she could go on the trailer. 

Snowing. Keep trying to get my woodshed full 🤷‍♂️ 

mike_belben

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 08, 2021, 08:54:07 PM

book'm Bargo. 

you have a house?  dang i thought you lived in a timbco this whole time! 
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: BargeMonkey on December 08, 2021, 08:54:07 PM

About 3 good days and she could go on the trailer.

Snowing. Keep trying to get my woodshed full 🤷‍♂️
I know it's been ask before but there's always mixed/unclearly stated answers. But how big will that cut and swing? I mean actually handle. You posted years ago a 28" but is that butt flare or DBH? I can see cutting this hardwood I could use a track cutter with a larger cut rather than my rubber tired buncher.  I didn't even take that to this job. Lots of small holes and hills it wouldn't reach the tree on top/side.  Then there's a lot about 20-24" DBH. It would prolly slab a tad bit being it's only 22" cut. I cut most with this harvester but the bars come out wrong on these fabtek heads and if your not on your game you bend a bar. Those newer ones like a tigercat or timber pro with 30" plus cut are just way to much money to ever justify. 

Ed_K

Cutter boy I think were only about 35 miles west of you  rt 2 to 122 right into your area  ;).
Ed K

BargeMonkey

It depends alot on type of tree, how tall, lean. I can grab a 20-22"DBH ash that's decent and THROW it. Grabbed some pine yesterday that was TALL and 25-26" on the stump and walk back. If it's pulpwood or kind of junk I can cut 33" and push, I've cut 4'+ if I can hit at least 2 sides. 

I'm done on 3/4 of this job, actually have some bigger pine to go cut on the other side, do another 3ish acre clearcut below and she goes on the trailer. Cleaning the edges today, I don't discriminate I just level it all 🤷‍♂️😆 

cutterboy

Quote from: Ed_K on December 09, 2021, 10:48:57 AM
Cutter boy I think were only about 35 miles west of you  rt 2 to 122 right into your area  ;).
Ed K you are right. Looking at the map I see that Layden is right up by the Vermont border just west of the Conn. River. For some reason I thought Layden was out near the New York border. I've never been to your town but I am familar with Greenfield.

Thank You Sponsors!