iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Joinery detail

Started by FalconFan, July 22, 2016, 10:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FalconFan

I have tried (and failed) to find a good diagram of the joinery where a tie beam and two wall plates join a post, all at the same height on the post.  Specifically, I am wanting to know how you determine the lengths of the 3 tenons and how you would peg each of the beams.  I have gathered that it is best to use a housed tenon for the tie beam and not house the wall plates, is that correct?

Dave Shepard

One of the reasons it would be hard to find that would be that it is a poor joint. If you take an inch for each housing from an 8" x8" post, you only have 3" for each girt tenon.(It would not be a plate at the level.) Now, if you take an inch for the tie beam housing, you only have 3" for the tie beam tenon, which is vastly inadequate for a tie beam. I would get Jack Sobon's Historic American Timber Joinery and move those girts up or down.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

FalconFan

Thanks for the reply Dave and I agree it is taking out a lot of material but as I look through Steve Chappell's book, A Timber Framer's Workshop, it does not appear to be an uncommon joint and it seems like it would have to be done when framing for a second level floor, correct?

timberwrestler

That's really because Chappell's book isn't very traditional at all.  It's the forms of the buildings that are important, not the fact they're put together with fancy joints. 

But...yes, that comes up some times.  I would house the tie beam with a long tenon, and I would house (nom. 1/2") and screw the girts.  The girts can likely be smaller because there's half the load on them as the joists.  Sometimes you can skip the girt entirely, and plan for a nailer to be buried in whatever the enclosure wall is.
www.uncarvedblockinc.com
www.facebook.com/uncarvedblockinc

VictorH

If there is no way to raise or lower the tie or wall plates then you should consider flaring the post to give more wood to work with.

This is an example of what I mean.

Roger Nair

I try to avoid but have on occasion made threeway plus post connections.

1.  Increase post to at least 8 x 10.

2. Make tie tenon half height and extend to the opposite side.

3.  Join housed girts with a free tenon or spline that crosses over the tie tenon.
An optimist believes this is the best of all possible worlds, the pessimist fears that the optimist is correct.--James Branch Cabell

Heartwood

Another option when framing a second floor to put the joists on top of the tie beam and then move the wall girts up to that level.

Thank You Sponsors!