iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sanity check! JD 440

Started by Satamax, April 08, 2017, 04:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

Well, i want  a toy.  With may be ten 20 trees to pull from the mountain a year. There's is absolutely no need for this.

https://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_agricole/1111470144.htm?ca=21_s

Winch is on it's way, and tires are slicks. Orbitrol has been changed, as well as most hydraulics. One steering ram too. Attaching points redone, at least on the new ram side. And he's got a spare one. It would cost me a fortune to get this transported to my place, on the other side of France. With the other one for spares.

But i'm becoming obsessed with this thing. The guy wants 7000€. Let say 1600€ on top of this for the transport. Another 3000€ for tires. Cable, i have tons for free. ( snowcat's winch cable)

What would you say on your side of the Atlantic guys?

Thanks a lot.

Max.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

OH logger

how much is that in American currency?
john

1270d

One euro is just a few cents over a dollar

OH logger

it do seem salty enough in my opinion. are there many good used skidders around there??
john

Puffergas

If the tires hold air, run them. If the skidder in the back ground goes with it -- maybe. Offer him $5000.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

snowstorm

7k is cheap if it runs and moves

Satamax

thanks a lot for  the repplies guys.

There's plenty of French ones. Wich are non articulated, but have all Wheel steer and crab steer. For cheaper. They are supposedely more stable in the mountains. But a smidge underpowered usualy.

If you are interested, on the website above, check for latil, brimont and agrip

There's a few tim's for a smidge more money. And after that, it's all camox, franklin, welte, tre emme and the likes, which are in the 20000 to 200000 range.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

snowstorm

thats a 440a  with a b blade. if working steep ground be careful. one rear wheel in the air you can get used to 2 up and your going over. if that still has the 2 cav style fuel filters up date to the square glass filter. you will need the filter base and filter. it works better an you will not spill as much fuel onto the starter when changing them

Satamax

Thanks a lot for all your repplies guys.

Snowstorm, are the tims less tippy?

What about parts? Easy to find for this JD? Cheap?

Thanks again.

Max.

snowstorm

tims?? no parts are cheap for anything. that is a 50 yr old machine.you should be able to get anything you need for it. just may take a while

Satamax

Hi Snowstorm.

When i say tims, i mean timberjacks in general. Well, i would say, only option for me in timberjack, is a 209 (i think) with the 4236 perkins. I have enough with one GM 2 stroke, in my gen set.

Ed_K

Tire's don't look that bad. A set of ice chains on back and go. My Taylor has been running on less tread on front since I bought it 18 yrs ago  ;D .
Ed K

Satamax

Thanks a lot Ed.

Well, you don't have to go logging there   ;D

In winter, i wouldn't even think about it. Mind you, we've cut few trees this winter with a friend. But, we leave them there till spring. Those are behind the hill, above the lamp post.

David-L

I would lean towards the Jack. I truly believe that parts could be had easier and it is more stable in hill country. And being 55 I can still get off and on mine all day. The Deere is a different story when getting on, I have owned a 440b. In the woods it outsteers anything but will roll on a large stump IMO. Timberjack is what I'd be lookin for. Good luck.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Satamax

Yep,but the timberjacks having a better reputation, they cost more!  :(

teakwood

Beautiful foto, sure makes me miss mi homecounty switzerland! i love the alps!
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

lynde37avery

Detroit WHAT?

Thank You Sponsors!