iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Use of Various Timber Screws for Green Stack Log Construction?

Started by kantuckid, December 30, 2017, 05:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

I have always used my tools pretty hard and expect them to get the job done. I bought a couple of cordless tools in years past and didn't think much of them, so just didn't mess with them for years. My son bought some dewalt after the 20 volt brushless tools came out and I was very impressed. I went with the milwaukii fuel series which is brushless, and was even more impressed, so have added to the tool bin quite a bit.

My 1/4 in driver also has 3/8 anvils and enough power to twist them, my 1/2 in drill has been great, unless it is some serious drilling job, I do not break out the old big drills, and my 1/2 in impact are the three most used tools I have anymore. I also have the 3/4 in impact and it does a great job, but isn't used as much.

If a guy needed the whole set up, charger , batteries, and the impact you could get in the 5 hundred buck range pretty easy I guess, I bought both my 1/2 in and the 3/4 in the same day at a local place that sure isn't known for cheap prices and it was less than 500 bucks for the pair.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

kantuckid

One guy over on ADV told me to get a cordless 1/2 impact wrench for these long screws-it's a model that's like 700-800 FT #'s!
When I read that yet another guy used it to service big trucks I knew it was too much tool for a log screw, numbers aside. I have to remain "no comment" on prices paid. A number of people who are daily users mentioned several brands, including Ridgid with it's LT warranty.
One thing I looked for was a regular chuck to stick into a 1/4" quick change so able to use round shank twist bits. Lots of them out there but most have seriously bad reviews from pros.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

starmac

Yea, mine has way more power than what you would need on the log screws, but you can also turn it down to way less power.
My use is heavy truck and equipment, so I bought the strongest they have, they do have several rated lessor torque too. I donot remember ever turning mine down, so can't say how well it works, it may or may not prolong battery life running it on low, but I couldn't say.
I do like the fact the batteries have a fuel gage on them, I hate to climb under something and run out of battery, I would imagine I would like that feature just as well climbing up on a building.
I also imagine other brands have improved a lot too, I haven't tried any of them, preferring to stay with the same batteries, is the main reason.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

kantuckid

Thought I'd share some info I got this week from a former corporate executive who worked for DeWalt until he was let go recently in a downsizing. I bought a bunch of DeWalt cordless tools through him per my Jan 2018 post in this thread. I messaged him to see if he'd get me a DeWalt cordless caulking gun and learned he was unemployed now. 
The tidbit to pass on is his suggestion that I should continue to buy DeWalt-not Milwaukee, if I value USA tools, etc.,  as they are owned by a Chinese Corporation, not a true USA company as many think.
Given the high cost for a cordless caulking gun and not much use for one overall, I lean toward an air operated caulk gun now since they cost less and I own a portable air compressor.
Following up on another old post above- 
My DeWalt 3/8" impact easily ran 1/2" x 5" hot dipped galvanized lags into oak beams. They are an amazing tool! 

Don P

I think I have a cheapo air caulk gun for little tubes somewhere in the barn, yours if you want it. It wasted more caulk than it was worth. We tried it on one job and hung it up. I've never used the drill operated ones but I think it would be a better hit.

kantuckid

I appreciate your experience. Thanks for the offer too. 
Honestly not yet convinced I want to use any brand of caulk tube "goop" between my logs. 
I'm yet again homing in on where my EWP wall logs will be sourced.
 It's sort of a dog fight between buy the logs local, me saw the logs vs. buy them sawed, me peel them.
 The tale of my life I suppose as the tightwad, do it yourself person with the worn out back, hands, etc., loves to work and has paid the price for those choices. 
My best choice so far for screws is Cor-Tenn a Knoxville/Kingsport, TN supply house-they sell mostly SPAX which I like in the pancake head.  

Don P

Quote from: kantuckid on December 04, 2020, 09:55:41 AM

The tale of my life I suppose as the tightwad, do it yourself person with the worn out back, hands, etc., loves to work and has paid the price for those choices.

Sorry, can't hear you yet, body is still ringing from jackhammer and bobcat under a house all day  :D

Stephen1

I have replaced my ncad 18V Dewalt for similiar 18V lithion ion batteries. I took a chance and ordered them, I have had them a month and no isssues so far. I can still use my old chargers. I have 9 cordless 18V tools and don't use them enough to warrent buying a new brand. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

ttf5003

Hi,

Sorry to revive this thread but it's the closes thing I could find to my question. I'm starting my first log home next week and I was looking at the instructions for the log hogs. They are very specific to use a low rpm high torque 1/2" corded drill.

I'm wondering if there is a reason they don't talk about impacts. Are the screws brittle and more likely to break from an impact?

I ran a 9" Log hog in and out of a pine log a few times with a Milwaukee impact with no ill effects. I don't have a low rpm drill and I'd rather not be running a generator for it while I could be using a cordless impact instead. Just curious if anyone has ever had a problem with an impact.

Don P

No they are not brittle, I impact those type screws although for a whole house I was using a 120 volt clutched low rpm right angle drill. Hard to say, you might lose the impact before its over, that's a lot of work on it.

kantuckid

You already have the better answer but I'll add that- 
while climbing in an awkward place I'll use the small, handy dandy DeWalt impact I own and lower down mostly I'll run the generator and use a 120v version. Not like that's the only reason I'll have the generator sitting there in my case.
Good luck with the build.  
Give us your locale, etc, stay awhile... ;D 

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

kantuckid

Don P

ttf5003

Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about the impact, I have larger M18 1/2" versions as well.

I guess I'll start with those and I can always pick up a drill if it's not going well.

Thanks for the welcome, I've been lurking here for awhile.

Thank You Sponsors!