Sponsors:

Right click and go full screen.

Started by Texas Ranger, September 01, 2011, 10:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LIL

Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

fishpharmer

TR, now that's a different perpective from the old sitting in the dark corner of the zoo cage, owl.  Amazing.

Felt like "prey" for a second. :D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mooseherder

Jeff

I had a real live experience like that probably 20 years ago, but my view was only the last 2 seconds.  I was in a tree stand bow hunting. I heard this wind noise rushing at me, turned my head just in time to see the talons flexing open just like in that video.

At the time I had a big dark beard. I had a camo hooded coat drawn up around my face. All I can figure is that the owl mistook my face moving for a black squirrel.  I threw up my arms in front of my face, reflexively, dropping the bow. The owl veered at the last second and never touched me.  My bow hit a limb on the way down during its twenty foot drop, sheering off the sites and stabilizer. It took me a few minutes before I could manage to climb down, retrieve the parts of my bow, and walk out of the woods.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

Texas Ranger

Jeff, same thing happened to me several years ago, same reflex, except I didn't drop the bow.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

submarinesailor

Many years ago, I was hunting, moving though the woods real slow.  I keep seeing some movement up in a tree, it was at eye level to me because of the mountain rolled off down hill.  I keep watching this movement but can't make out what it was.  So, I brought the rifle and scope up to my eye.  Boy did I get an eye full.  It was a Great Honed Owl and I was looking right into his eyes as he was looking back at me.  I had forgotten that the scope was zoomed all the way up to 14X.  Set me back a bit.  Can you picture it, throwing your rifle up and getting nothing but big black eyes back in your face. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Bruce

Weekend_Sawyer

Bruce, 14x? What kind of scope is that?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

submarinesailor

Jon,

It was an adjustable scope, 4X14 AO.  For the life of me, I can't remember who made it.

Bruce

Red Pill

Amazing video. I never had one fly at my face, but I did have one fly silently into a tree over my head after I got set up one time. At dawn he hooted, and I screamed like a little girl. He hadn't seen me, and I hadn't heard him. Scared both of us half to death.

Thank You Sponsors!