iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Shagbark Hickory

Started by swampwhiteoak, July 12, 2001, 07:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampwhiteoak

This is for anyone who hasn't answered one right yet.  Foresters and the like not eligible.

Tom

I KNOW, I KNOW !!!!!!!!!!

swampwhiteoak

QuoteI KNOW, I KNOW !!!!!!!!!!

We gotta let other people play too, Tom.

CHARLIE

Hmmmm....must be a Southern type tree.  I'm gonna have to get my book out on this one.....  Leaves look big enough to be magnolia, but I don't think they have fruit. I'm gonna have to study this one some more..   :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

swampwhiteoak

Charlie,

This tree grows all over the east, not quite down to Florida but close, and including MI and WI.

Leaves are compound and alternate.  The fruit should be a big clue.

L. Wakefield

Possibly a hickory- but the pic shows the leaves with quite a highlight and I'm not used to them looking that glossy.      lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

CHARLIE

I'm gonna have to agree with LW. I think she nailed it. When looking in my "Knowing Your Trees" book, the leaves and nut match up to Shellbark Hickory, Bigleaf Shagbark Hickory, Kingnut, Big Shellbark. This would be different names for the same tree.

A friend of mine gave me some dried hickory he had in his firewood pile. I mounted a chunk on my woodlathe, forgetting I had the speed to highm, and slung that sucker clear across the shop. Sure glad it didn't hit me. I slowed down the lathe and made several real purty woodworking mallets. That is some tough wood that hickory.   :)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

swampwhiteoak

Score!
Glad someone is still interested.

This particular example is a shagbark hickory, Carya ovata.  Notice 5 leaflets instead of 7 that a shellbark (also known as kingnut or Carya lacinosa) would commonly have.

Thank You Sponsors!