iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rain and Mud

Started by Rhodemont, December 20, 2023, 04:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

snowed the turned to rain for most of the day now back to pretty high winds and snow

BargeMonkey

Going to see guys out this way start starving to death it doesn't get cold or freeze up, buddy sent me these today, just keep yanking 1 skidder out with the other, throw their hands up.

Forester said right now don't even bother moving if I come home.

B.C.C. Lapp

I got two jobs going and can't skid on either one.   And even if I dared to try and mud it out I wouldn't take a log truck up either gravel road.  Just to soft.   Its supposed to get cold tomorrow and all week.  We'll see.   
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Firewoodjoe

Mill has kept me on sand ground. Trucks keep coming. Seems like a buyer has to have 4 times as much wood bought just for all the scenarios that arise throughout the year. In one way I'm glad I don't deal with that and land owners. But at some point I will try again I hope. Two more pieces to the puzzle first. One is on order. All I can do is run a Johnny cash operation  😂 and play it safe as I can.

mudfarmer

Got cylinder back and in, they could not fix the new hoses they put the wrong ends on because the power was still out at shop. They got 2 out of 5 right with old hoses in hand... had one made elsewhere on way home but pockets were too light for the other. Rained all night anyway and a sloppy mess. Blew that one last bad hose (brakes!)messing around in the field at home  :) hang tight guys

ehp

Its below freezing here now and really windy with blowing snow  but it rained hard most of the night , ground is just loaded with water, its to turn pretty cold but if we get a bunch of snow and if the water cannot run away it does not matter as its just going to be a mud bath

Log-it-up

Could use some cold weather here, it's been warm last two snow storms have brought rain with them right after the wet heavy snow has kinda taken the frost out of the ground trying to keep stuff tracked in

trapper

+2 here now so shouldn't have mud  problem now is blowing snow Would not be a problem for a skidder.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

GAB

Quote from: Log-it-up on January 14, 2024, 03:30:37 PM
Could use some cold weather here, it's been warm last two snow storms have brought rain with them right after the wet heavy snow has kinda taken the frost out of the ground trying to keep stuff tracked in

We started the month of January warm and have since had two January thaws.
I wouldn't be surprised if so far this is the warmest 14 days of January since they've been keepin records.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Ron Scott

We have 15 inches of snow here now and still snowing with dropping temperatures so logging conditions will be making a drastic change from our spring like conditions until now.
~Ron

Log-it-up

I was able to start cutting and bunching after the first of the year didn't get much pulled out skid road is real soft don't want to completely destroy it makes for a rough ride the rest of the winter, thought I was just starting to get some where beginning of last week the family got sick with the flu bug going around , I thought I escaped it but I'm most likely bed bound for a couple days get winded just walking up the five stairs in to the house

cutterboy

I took a walk in the woods a few days ago to check things out after all the rain and wind we have had this month.

Three red maples down. The largest should give me two logs but the rest will go into firewood if I can ever get the tractor in there.

I am surprised at how big the root balls are on those trees.

The weather has turned cold. Barely reached up to freezing yesterday and down to 13° this morning. Predicted high of 27 today and cold for the next several days. Maybe I can get back into the woods.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

ehp

Do not have to worry about 40,000 ft this week, It rained so much last week and the weekend that even the high ground is pretty well flooded so Im can drive the skidder on whatever ground that is not covered in ice cause there could be 2 inches to 3 feet of water under the ice and ground is soft under the ice  but have been cutting on the ice which there only is a couple inches of so have to becarefull and try not to break threw the ice

mike_belben

Speaking of rootball, Some poplar i pushed over getting the dirt reclaimed off it by my backhoe scissors.  Look at the fencepost sized taproot down about shin high.

The hole is 3ft deep and if i coulda freed the whole thing i bet total root mass about 10ft across. Had to fill the hole before the dozer could walk across pushing it out. Maybe 14" dbh.

The toughest stumps i have ever encountered are black gum, by far.  10" dbh gum thats rooted through the sand stone can take me a half hour to grub out. Theyre terrible.

Praise The Lord

ehp

well its cold but the ground in the bush is soft , cutting on about 4 inches of ice but the trees break threw that so by the time I get them out on the landing they are covered in dirt that has frozen so lots of filing , Yes I know if I had Barge's coin I should just buy a new tigercat setup and cut stuff up with that but I do not have Barge coin , I'm cutting on high ground not in swamps but we have had so much rain even the top of hills have water laying everywhere

mudfarmer

Maybe you gotta cut some smaller trees if they are breaking 4" of ice and putting out your #s   ;D

Making me nervous, it is cold here but we got a lot of fluffy blanket snow. Moving finally this week  to winter only job but we don't get as much winter these days. My gear and logs are coming in a couple units lighter than yours so hopefully alright for a week to get some wood out. Hat off to you folks doing this with nothing on the side

Firewoodjoe

Been cold here. Single digits. The forecast looks like nearly 40 next week. If it's only day time and a few days it shouldn't hurt much. Going from 20s to 0 I understand but then back up to 40 is crazy. In a weeks time.

ehp

It's to rain here starting tomorrow night for 2 full days again , Next week is all above 40F so its going to be a mud bath, I'm hoping to be out of where I am in a couple days and move to a pretty high ground bush but I will only be there for about a week , all depends on the weather

B.C.C. Lapp

Well, the freeze up was great while we had it but here comes the rain again.   Bummer.   Seen years like this before, warm and rainy all winter, dry and dust all summer.  Hope not.
Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf.

Rhodemont

Yep,  raining here now for couple days.  From this morning till now the trails softened up a lot. 
Woodmizer LT35HD    JD4720 with Norse350 winch
Stihl 362, 039, Echo CS-2511T,  CS-361P and now a CSA 300 C-O

nativewolf

Quote from: B.C.C. Lapp on January 22, 2024, 08:34:16 PM
Well, the freeze up was great while we had it but here comes the rain again.   Bummer.   Seen years like this before, warm and rainy all winter, dry and dust all summer.  Hope not.

It's so wet that Baillies is sending us trucks they are so short on logs.  They even raised prices, I don't think they can be making money at what they are paying. 
Liking Walnut

ehp

Nothing going on here at all, its rained some much any machine sinks just driving off pavement , I moved to a small white oak bush but will wait till I can get around plus with it so hot I'm sure these good white oak will check in seconds once off the stump

mudfarmer

It sure would be nice to get some snow pack, some frost in the ground, something... Got one hole that I am just sick of chucking corduroy in. Hardly any wood out that hasn't gone in a hole somewhere.

Firewoodjoe

Firewoodjoe

Frustrating only some go

Thank You Sponsors!