iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

charcoal grill

Started by pigman, July 12, 2008, 05:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

My wife wants me to act like a suburbanite and start grilling. I told her grills are expensive and also the charcoal is expensive. Well, this last week she found a grill that I couldn't say no to. Why someone would throw away a perfectly good charcoal grill is strange to me. It even was full of charcoal. 8)  Now for the sad part. :( I can't get the charcoal to light. I pushed the little button that says ignitor, but nothing happened. I figured the ignitor must be broken is why they threw the grill out. People are so lazy these days they don't want to use a match. But I still have a problem wilh the grill, the charcoal will not light with a match. :(I am not stupid so I tried using that expensive lighter fluid. The charcoal still will not light.  I even turned the knobs to high to let more air in the bottom and it still will not burn.Does anyone of you grilling experts know what I should do now to get the charcoal lit?  I will put a picture here for you to help figure this thing out.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

beenthere

Tough to light the lava stone in der... ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mooseherder

:D

Too DanG funny Pigman.

pigman

Why would anyone put lava stone in a charcoal grill? I thought that "stuff" was awfull dense for charcoal.  By the way, what is lava stone.

Tom

tha's one of them new Digital Grills, Pigman.  You gotta buy a bottle to go with it.  You might have to buy a hose too.  That bottle is full if professional pain and makes a more perfect fire than the old anna logs.  Believe me.  I heard it on HSN.  My wife stays tuned to it all day and swears by it.  I guess that makes it as right as the radio.  :-\

WDH

You might need a digital converter, like you will need with TV's on external antennas or rabbit ears after Feb 2009.  I fear that your grill is old technology and will not properly pick up the new digital signal.  With a charcoal converter box, you should be able to light it with a match.........

Did you hear that cars are going digital?  DanG, another converter box :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

Yeah Pigman, Tom hit it on the head. They done liquefied charcoal and put it in a bottle. I think they call it propane now and tacked on a high price.

That thang would work better to get rid of that petrified charcoal and just put some wood in it. You'll have charcoal afore long.... ;) And you won't have to worry bout no digital thing a ma bobs.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

thedeeredude

Try more lighter fluid.  A couple cans or so oughta do :o ;D

pigman

Should I close the lid on the grill for a few minutes and then throw the match in?

submarinesailor

Only if you are standing right next to it - NOT!!!!!!

thedeeredude

Whatever you do have someone run a camera ;D

JAMES G

By looking at the picture it seems that you have a donkey engine to the right of the main grill try lighting it first :-\

woodmills1

I thought it was a pony motor........................ :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

pigman

Well, I got the grill going and cooked some Johnsonville brats  tonight. 8) That crazy spouse of mine went to town and bought a can of that liquified charcoal, but the container calls it propane. I hooked up that can and turned the knob on the grill to high and lit it with a match. I let it burn for several minutes and the charcoal that came with the grill still would not catch on fire. I finally gave up on  lighing the charcoal and just cooked the brats with the propane charcoal lighter. I hope no one tells the wife what I did since I told her that I cooked the brats with the charcoal. That woman already thinks knows that I am not too bright.

ADAMINMO

Looks like you like to have your brats "well" done from the picture. Almost can't see them 'cept fer the ends. Looks like you are makin out well with the "propane charcoal starter" since the charcoal wouldn't light. :D :D :D

thecfarm

That grill looks alot like the one I just took the guts out of and made it into a charcoal grill for real.Wife wanted to go back to charcoal.We use to use charcoal years ago,than we bought a gas grill.We was looking at charcoal grills and she was thinking about buying one.No need to now.Took a little bit of doing,but has worked well for 3 times so far.Looks like it will work just fine.We have charcoal starters too.No need for lighter fluid.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scgargoyle

If you ain't cooking over a trash fire in a 55 gallon chemical drum, well, son, ya just ain't grillin'!
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

olyman

Quote from: scgargoyle on July 26, 2008, 05:12:01 PM
If you ain't cooking over a trash fire in a 55 gallon chemical drum, well, son, ya just ain't grillin'!
ewwwwwwwhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D

Paul_H

Quote from: pigman on July 16, 2008, 07:16:54 PM
I hope no one tells the wife what I did since I told her that I cooked the brats with the charcoal. That woman already thinks knows that I am not too bright.

Don't feel bad,look at the setup this moron has going on ???
::)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

pigman

Paul,  looks like you use the looong matches . The first few times I lit the grill with the little matchbook matches.  After the little wife saw the hair on the side of my head all curley and scorched from using the short matches, she bought me some of those long matches. 8) I found out that if I wait just the correct amount of time to stick the match in the little hole after turning on the burner, the lid will open for me. And my wife says I am not smart. ;D

Timburr

Quote from: Paul_H on July 28, 2008, 09:48:02 PM
Don't feel bad,look at the setup this moron has going on ???

"His" PRE-HEATING methods are pretty much CAST as ALTERNATIVE!   Isn't that correct Paul?

My brazier uses those looong matches too!!  ;D
Sense is not common

Paul_H

Quote from: Timburr on July 29, 2008, 03:51:46 PM

"His" PRE-HEATING methods are pretty much CAST as ALTERNATIVE!   Isn't that correct Paul?

It wood  ;) :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Cat-Face Timber

I actually had Diet Coke come out of my nose reading this :)

Thanks!

Now you owe me a keyboard!

pc_smiley
SEMPER FI

thecfarm

Another oldie but a goodie.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

So that is what happened to Bob's hair  ??? ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!