iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

My turn.  Today's carnage occurred in front of about 60 impressionable teenagers.  I was using the Kubota M7060 with the front end loader to remove soil from some parking lot islands in the teachers' parking lot.  All was going well.  The students were removing the soil and weeds that I could not get with the bucket in preparation for the compost we are going to add before we plant.

Anyway, as I was exiting Island #5 with a bucket full of sand and weeds driving over the curb (low, 1) a whoosh of air left the tire and the wheel immediately smashed into the sharp edge of the curb, substantially bending it.  I couldn't remove the wheel where it was so I inched forward until I had a little room to work.  We removed the wheel, went to the ag shop and began massaging the wheel back into a shape that resembled circular with a 10 lb hammer.  Surprisingly, the wheel was not too difficult to reform but getting the tire back on the bead required a ratchet strap tourniquet and a lot of dish soap.  Back in business within the hour.

I'm sure there will be more before the end of the week. 
Caveman

snowstorm

Quote from: bushmechanic on January 05, 2020, 06:42:30 AM
Well I might as well add to this thread as well! First day back to the woods this fall and got to 4:00 pm before this happened...

<br

and what it looked like after bush repair(welding)

i put bearings in my 646 valmet a couple yrs ago. mine looked bigger than that and the nut was a lot bigger. i had a socket sort of. made to fit it it must weigh 15 lbs. then torque multiplier to 3\4 torque wrench set at 330. yet it seems there is always a slight amount of play in it even with a 1000 lb on it

mike_belben

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on January 04, 2020, 10:30:40 AM
Forgot all about this thread even though I had my fair share of carnage this year.

Started the summer by have hydraulic issues with a tractor. It has a closed center load sensing system and it was getting "hung" in high pressure and going over relief all the time heating the oil to scorching levels within minutes of running. So had plumbed in gauges to pinpoint things.

That was all well and good until my gauge was sticking out and the 3 point ripped the pressure pipe right off the valve block.

Pulled out the combing valve (tractor uses two open center gear pumps in tandem) to find a broken spring keeper and other trash stuck in there.

That resulted in pulling the pumps and locating the source of the trash which was a detent spring from the loader valve. So one new pump, new loader valve, bunch of new orings and backup seals, multiple system flushes and I was back in business.

What kinda tractor was it?
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

About 1am, 2 winters ago now i lost a wheel hub while driving to work.  Well, i was about 2 miles from the house and realized the spindle nut had stripped and very carefully got turned around.  Idling back in low hole a few houses up the road it dump the hub, wrecked a new tire, the qtr fender etc.  Calling for the tow before hand woulda been cheaper and smarter i guess. 

Life got in the way while i looked for a spindle and all that.  ive just now cleaned out the shrapnel and grease, the  shrunk out the races.  realizing how bad the inner seal surface got machined. 

Time to have lunch, flip the laundry and get that mess figured out. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Well, 2 sad events to post.  International went to a beefier inner spindle shank with otherwise the same forge casting,  and from a 205 to 207 series bearing on the inside wheel bearing so the new bearing race wont go in my hub.  I brought an outer bearing to check the spindle at junkyards because the inner exploded.  

Im waiting to hear back from timken if there is a bearing that will allow me to avoid boring my hub or turning my spindle down.. Neither of which i want to do.    The cost of owning obsolete stuff. 

Yesterday i had henry start the forktruck.  Then i ran it and it sounded terrible.. I thought man its gotta be out of oil and turned the key off.  It stayed running because i hadnt killed the fuel shutoff..and the sound went away...  Because boy had the key stuck in the crank position and the bendix was running into the spinning flywheel.  It started last night but not today.  And wouldnt ya know it the hardened bendix gear ate the soft flywheel.  Sure would be nicer to replace a bendix.  

"Oh youre lucky to have all that equipment" is one of those phrases that makes me want to choke someone. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Long day in a bad position but i was able to lay the tooth faces back and chamfer all the boogered and smeared metal blocking the starter gear from meshing.

I also polished the starter gear ramps into a radius to help the gear rotate into position smoothly when plunging into the ring gear.  Back up and running.

Thanks again for the straps @rastis 

Praise The Lord

barbender

Reminds me a bit of my activities a couple of days ago...we were camping out west, staying in a nice campground in Spearfish, SD. I had some front brake pads start wearing into the rotor on my Dodge, so I quick changed the side that was bad (the campsite rules forbade washing of RVs etc, so I figured I better boogie before someone e told me to stop😁). Got it apart and it had a cracked piston, so I had to get a caliper and switch that out. Then, I had a vibration that appeared about 65mph that was driving me nuts, so I pulled the front driveshaft off, it had a slightly loose U-joint (picture me carrying my driveshaft and throwing it in the back of my truck, as my neighbors looked on😁) Then I got to move on to the slide out on the camper, something was kicking a breaker and pulling tons of juice. We finally narrowed it to the slideout circuit. I didn't have time to trace down what I figure is a direct short somewhere in the wiring. First we tried the manual crank, we put our 9 year old boy on it and that broke too🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️ So I cut the wires on the gearmotor, and hooked up jumper cables so we could run the slide that way. There are days...
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Might I add that the 3rd generation on Dodge 4x4's have a horrible design on that front axle- no locking hubs or anything, they just spin the whole front driveline like an old 4x4 that you left the hubs locked in. It's pretty common for them to disintegrate a u-joint which then destroys the front case of the transfer case (it happened to me). I came from a 2nd gen Dodge, they had a 2 piece drive axle that unlocked, I assumed these were the same. I felt the vibration, and got down and looked my rear shaft over several times, it never occurred to me it was the front shaft. There is a lock out retrofit, but you have to change the entire hub assembly, about $2000.
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

Oh ive sung the dodge blues many a time.  Can you put balljoint ford outers on those to delete the unit bearing and gain freespin hubs?

I let my front end fall apart then did it all at once.  Ford knuckles, new big twin piston calipers, rotors, bearings, wheel joints, new xrf balljoints and deleted that terrible track bar balljoint by cutting and sleeving the bar and welding frame mounts for a regular tube bushing.  I was putting trackbars in every year.  

If 3rd gen has a tie rod end style joint on the driver side, have the wife rock the wheel and watch it.  Thats the dodge deathwobble most wanted suspect right there.  On OBS fords its the other end of the trackbar.
Praise The Lord

teakwood

Quote from: mike_belben on September 20, 2020, 01:27:05 PM
Well, 2 sad events to post.  International went to a beefier inner spindle shank with otherwise the same forge casting,  and from a 205 to 207 series bearing on the inside wheel bearing so the new bearing race wont go in my hub.  I brought an outer bearing to check the spindle at junkyards because the inner exploded.  

Im waiting to hear back from timken if there is a bearing that will allow me to avoid boring my hub or turning my spindle down.. Neither of which i want to do.    The cost of owning obsolete stuff.

Yesterday i had henry start the forktruck.  Then i ran it and it sounded terrible.. I thought man its gotta be out of oil and turned the key off.  It stayed running because i hadnt killed the fuel shutoff..and the sound went away...  Because boy had the key stuck in the crank position and the bendix was running into the spinning flywheel.  It started last night but not today.  And wouldnt ya know it the hardened bendix gear ate the soft flywheel.  Sure would be nicer to replace a bendix.  

"Oh youre lucky to have all that equipment" is one of those phrases that makes me want to choke someone.
Hey Mike, just call elmer, he will have them fixed in no time! :D
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Banjo picker

I think this qualifies me for legal entry into this thread.  

How's that for a hole in a radiator?  After hauling 6 or 7 loads of logs yesterday....I decided after the last one that I was going to change the right rear caliper....the old 87 international has hydraulic brakes.  So after unloading it with the prentice, I circled the mill pulled to the front yard to turn around and pull up to my bay that I work out of...but when I braked to back up....there was none.  So I smacked the Jin pole I use with the back hoe...very very fortunate that I was home an where the two inch rod entered it missed the fan and other engine parts.  I found a hood, grill and radiator for $750.00.  Went and picked it up and got two nice tires and rims for another $250.00.  It won't leave the yard again until it has 4 new calipers on it.  I already replaced one brake line and will give the others a hard look.  Close call...my truck and trailer were just below that Jin pole.  Tim 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Banjo picker

If you had to poke a 2 inch rod through the radiator, that was the perfect place.  Tim 
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, that probably won't buff out. Sorry man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

bushmechanic

Good thing the boss did this and not me lol!

nativewolf

Thanks everyone for posting, lightens the day with shared painful experiences.  No real pictures, didn't break anything, just putting back all the little stuff the mechanics left behind.  So while I've been wrenching it wasn't, yet, carnage.  Now I did have my son back over a 462 this summer, that would have qualified I guess.  All my fault.
Liking Walnut

kiko

More planetary carmage...

GRANITEstateMP

kiko that'll just buff out, right? ;D
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Hilltop366

Quote from: GRANITEstateMP on October 05, 2020, 07:21:29 PM
kiko that'll just buff out, right? ;D
I don't think so, more like JB weld. Right?

kiko

I think it will buff out . Probably gonna take about 270 Benjamins to buff it to shiny new.

bushmechanic

Well I had a seal leak in the front diff of my C3 Tree Farmer so today I figured I'd check it out. Good thing I did as it was more than a leak... a couple of bearing failures!

chevytaHOE5674

Been a summer of lots of minor inconveniences. 
Hay rake frame broke in two.

Head gasket in the skid steer

Somebody's old weld in the chain case of the skid steer cracked.

Broke another axle in the GMC 2.5 ton axle. So its gutted and running as an empty housing now.

Destroyed slip clutch in the batwing mower.

Thats just the junk I remember and have some pictures of. Lol

mike_belben

What kinda skid steer.. I dont recognize that frame layout at all.  

What is the deuce axle in?  
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Gehl 7800 skid steer. Axle is under a ford 5000 tractor.

mike_belben

I have been looking at those big gehls, how do you like it and how many hours you put on? Has it been reliable?  Perkapillar or cummins? Parts off the shelf or proprietary? 

Im looking to replace my 742 and want a bigger diesel machine with a longer wheelbase.  Have run LS170 but i dont love the slop that comes in linkage booms.  But the low COG on those gehls and side view looks really good. Seems like plenty of room for big grousers. And the removable axle housings is nice too. 

Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!