iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chevytaHOE5674

Has a 105hp Yanmar. 3k hours and just had to to a head gasket. Other than that its been good. Working on it is much easier than the bobcats and NHs that I've worked on. To run tracks it has 2" wheel spacers making it 7'4" wide. It's long in the backend, and weights nearly 12k lbs with tracks on. Even with tracks she doesn't like soft ground at all.. The vertical lift is wonderful but all the linkage does give you some inherent slop.

Parts other than the Yanmar are proprietary but availability is good and prices aren't too bad.

If you have lots of open space and hard ground they are awesome as it'll lift more than you can imagine. Tight spaces and soft ground you will cuss.

mike_belben

Is it a mechanical diesel or computerized with egr and def and all that?
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Mechanical, 12v is all she needs to run. Stay away from the perkins they were plagued with problems in the newer 10 series. 

mike_belben

Thanks for the info, good stuff.

Do the tracks get you out of trouble or just lure you into it?
Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

Lure you into trouble. Haha they are better than tires for sure. But a lighter machine like my buddies NH LS180 will run circles around my Gehl in soft ground.

mike_belben

Wow that bad huh?  really puts perspective on it.  A 180 is no featherweight!   

Theres a 980 bobcat with planetary hubs complete and running for sale nearby [rare anymore] and i look at it and think imagine what it could load and dig up.. But its 15k# and super wide with a short wheelbase, maybe even square.  Reality bites me and says imagine how bad it can bury itself.  15k is a loaded service truck or daycab tractor. Itll make a pigpen out of any site. 

Praise The Lord

chevytaHOE5674

His LS180 with tracks and bucket scaled out at just over 8k lbs i think, my 7800 with tracks and grapple bucket is 12,600 lbs. That is a lot of weight with not a ton more track area on the ground. Also hard to move as its too heavy and wide for most tandem "car style" trailers. So a deckover is a must.

moodnacreek

Quote from: BargeMonkey on January 04, 2020, 11:06:38 AM
Quote from: Old Greenhorn on January 04, 2020, 07:11:49 AM
If my calendar and memory are correct, you should be headed home around mid-week?
Sitting between Bannermans island and Storm king waiting out the fog, as long as we are to the city for Tuesday I'm good. Rumor mill says it's going to be in Eastchester / Bronx which works out ok. Gf leaves for work 1hr before I get home, she's not dealing with tugboating very well. Wednesday morning may sound like Eric Church's "wrecking ball", I should send flowers and a card to the neighbors now.
The mouth of moodna creek is opposite Bannermans, between Plum point and  Cornwall landing. You where close [ to me]

thecfarm

I have some rocks that I could use that to haul them away up into the bog!!! All I can do now is roll them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Hey southside... 

You reckon i got all the squeel outta that one yet?   ;D

Bead of the rim was shot from foam keeping the water in.  Even with tons of grinding it leaked like a screen door.  DAP weldwood contact cement.  Perfect seal. 

Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Swing the engine at 0930, 

She was running about 4. 

Needs a couple minor things, put the rest of the panels on, wanted to get it off that hill before the snow came back. 2.45yd, should bail some dirt, thumb is like brand new. 

should be home monday, throw it in the pit. 

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

My 01 F250 4x4.  It was my grandfathers last truck and mostly sat parked in massachusetts.  I got it at 87k miles, completely rotted. What a shame.  Every brake caliper on it has hung up and turned the rotor red.  Never happens at a good time and always messes up your day. 

These stupid phenolic pistons love to collect grime inside the bore and then refuse to retract.  If you catch it soon enough you can pop them out with air into a 2x4, sand them up and reinstall [minus the dust seal because it will never go back on right] and get some more time out of it.  If they get hot enough they shatter the piston and get stuck on the axle. 

Theyre about $100 each and you must bring the bracket with your core because ford used so many different calipers.. Sold with new slide bracket.  If any if you have one of these trucks and are suddenly slowing down fast, smelling brakes and getting bad mileage, feel your rims.  The hot one is hanging. 

I wont have another one of these 5.4 triton trucks.  
Praise The Lord

Nebraska

My Ford F350 has done the same,  mine have all been  done in the last 3 years. Still goes though.

Ed_K

Ed K

GRANITEstateMP

I love disc brakes, but being in New England, salt, brine, rust really kills calipers quick. Still rather put on a new caliper than play with rotten backing plates and shoes that's never fun!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

nativewolf

We had a large wo roll over on a 462 as it turned out to be rotten and rolled during bucking.  Morale: keep other saws away from logs when bucking in dark :(.  Broke a few fins, handle is not good.  Have another top end might switch it up one day.
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

Thats a bummer wyatt.  It didnt take me long to realize there is no easy money waiting out in the woods.  Some days lucky to break even after deducting whatcha just plain broke. 
Praise The Lord

g_man

I might need some new wheel bearings for the wood splitter soon....

gg

barbender

Spherical bearing gave up the ghost on the lift cylinder of the forwarder-

Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

I started to use my excavator for a trial run in the quarry, she hasn't worked much the last 2 years. i always noticed the turn table drop some grease, but it was just some drops. but after 3hours of work i was shocked by seeing the amount it squirted out. the machine is 20years old and has 8200h. the seal has hardened over the time and has broke of at one point.

It's a slewing bearing with balls inside. today i will measure it's play, have done it 2 years ago and it was ok.
does anybody have experience with excavators? maybe @kiko , @bushmechanic ??
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Dangerous_Dan

There is a sump that encloses the ring gear and the pinion off the swing motor.
It's probably full of something like water or the gear oil from the gearbox on your swing motor.
Get under the machine and pull the drain plug for that sump and see what comes out.
Water leaks in from where the swing motor bolts in.
If it's gear oil the seal for the pinion shaft on the swing motor is leaking.
If it's hydraulic oil you have more seal problems in the swing motor.
Check the gear oil in the swing motor, if it's empty you might just need the seal.
The pinion seal is easy to change.
Pull the swing motor and remove the seal cover around the pinion shaft and put the new seal in it and reassemble.
These seals are overpriced at the dealer.
It's best to pull it apart and measure for the seal and get the all rubber coated ones.
First you make it work, then you trick it out!

kiko

I agree with above. But think the seal is progressive damage. It has been over greased or there is liquid , water or oil that has increased the volume and forced the grease out bast the seal.

teakwood

I think i have figured it out, after talking to a excavator mechanic friend back in Switzerland and some internet research

the swing motor is fine, no leaking oil.
the big pinion and gear is also perfect, nice clean grease. (they're emerged in a grease bath, like 36liters)

the 93 rollers (actually balls) have 3 grease nipples around de slewing ring at 120degrees each. (books says, grease every 250h) they have been overgreased (my fault) and the seal has gone bad over the years.

Play is 1mm which is totally in the normal range.
the excavator should be fine for work, but will continue to drop grease. when the grease stops then i put a little more in, just a small layer of grease on the balls should be ok.

the seal can be changed as is, but i'm sure it's no fun.

seal is 210$ OEM in Miami, which i find very overpriced. or 10-30$ AM in china, korea,....
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Kim_Ked

So its been a while since I posted anything. I thought this would fit in. 
Its my Arbro1000.  I initially took it apart to replace the all the sliding brass wear parts within the machine. That was a good 1000$.  Once I got it apart, I realized that the entire top section of the delimbing head was in very battered condition. So off to a reputable fabrication shop who rebuilt it for me, top to bottom. Its like new now, 1500$ in fabrication later. 

So I get that top section back and put the machine all together.  Last part to go in is the new big 92MM adjustment nut (400$) in the pictures you see here. The old nut was in really bad shape by the time I got it out. Thinking this was it, I quickly realized that the new nut will not thread in to the frame! The manufacturer cant even get me a replacement insert with the internal threads on it.  So after many hours of grinding and cutting, removing the entire top plate and continuing to grind out the old insert, I can finally see a small crack developing where the insert goes through the frame.  This is shown in my third image.  

I'm really hoping that a machine shop will be able to make me a new insert ($$$), with my internal metric, 92MM thread that I can have a fabricator come and weld it back in for me. More $$$. I can weld but not good enough that I can sleep well knowing I had a good penetration between these layers.

Stress-full [I have typed a profane word that is automatically changed by the forum censored words program I should know better] man. Iv spent so much on this that It really has to work out.  This machine is 69K new and I can't replace it. I'm in way to far now to stop either.   I really need something to work out for me soon. This machine has been down since mid November waiting on these parts and repairs. Given the ridiculously low amount I'm getting now for stud wood, its going to take me a few loads just to pay for this one.

Thanks for watching!
1995 Daewoo Solar 130-3, 2001 Customized Arbro1000, 1995 Case 685, Patu525, Chevy C10 383Stroker!

Thank You Sponsors!