iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The price of logs now days.

Started by welderskelter, January 31, 2019, 08:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

I wonder how the scales work for the different saw mills. A circle saw mill cuts almost a 5/16 in. cut. Where my band mill gets by with a very small one. The old circle mill will make about 4 boards of saw dust comparatively. Just wondering. Harold

moodnacreek

In n.e. Vermont you will see truck and pup very neatly loaded with white cedar going to the mill. I don't know how they do it so good, it's all c.t.l. small dia. 8' and 10' mostly and is sold by the cord.                                                                                                                                                     J, B. thanks for the answer.

Bill_G.

Interesting topic . For years a cord of wood was measured in the round 4'x4'x8' , this was used for firewood and pulpwood. As far as buying , or selling , saw logs by the cord or ton , I have never seen it work well . It seemed either the mill or the logger would end up unhappy . Having logged and owned sawmills for the past 45 years I would never recommend buying or selling saw logs by the ton or cord.

As far as log prices go , here in NH the State puts out a price sheet for stumpage rates , you would then have to add logging and trucking costs to arrive at a delivered to the mill price . The easiest way to find out log prices in your area is to contact some sawmills and find out what they pay. In NH the International rule is the go to , it does take into account 1/4" saw kerf . 

Bottom line for me , whether buying or selling logs , I like to see and measure each one . There are always the hidden surprises you will find in some logs , like rot and defects , but for the most part you will know what you are dealing with. 

azmtnman

I haven't ever bought logs but we're thinking of doing it. 
I have seen several (price) "plus logging and hauling" in the comments. Is there a percentage? Maybe average cost per load? What can you expect to pay for "logging and hauling?"
I'm SMALL potatoes (trying to grow) so I harvest about 200 cu/ft (how USFS sells permits) per day (when I can harvest standing dead) which translates to about  $0.50 cu/ft, (4-5 cents a board ft) my costs (no labor--it's just me and my son.)
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Thank You Sponsors!