iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade sharpener

Started by Jmiller160, April 26, 2017, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmiller160

Are there any affordable hand sharpeners or possibly homemade options?

paul case

I had an EZ boardwalk sharpener and I liked it fine and it worked well for the money.

They are a sponsor here. Icon in the column to the left of the page.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

fishfighter

Built mine for $25. Well, bought a old craftmen radial saw.

It takes me about 15 minutes to sharpen a blade. But I have more time then money. :D

The blade run thru a piece of 2x4 that I had sawed a slot 1" deep. It is tight and the blade holds good.

Kbeitz

And I used a Sears chop saw....

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bags

I use a Tek Motion chainsaw sharpener. You can pretty much use it right out of the box without build'in a base bracket. Undo the chain stop and turn it around and block the chain adjustment bar and its good to go. I grind the micro cracks out of the gullet with a dremmel.

I'd post a picture but me and FF picture post'in don't get along.lol.

You can probably find a pic in my gallery.

fishfighter

Quote from: bags on April 26, 2017, 09:18:06 PM
I use a Tek Motion chainsaw sharpener. You can pretty much use it right out of the box without build'in a base bracket. Undo the chain stop and turn it around and block the chain adjustment bar and its good to go. I grind the micro cracks out of the gullet with a dremmel.

With the radial saw, I'm using a 1" wide stone that I dressed it out to do the gullet too. I keep a new 7 degree blade on hand to dress the stone on. So far I been very happy with the way the blades are sawing. ;D

I had a bunch of 10 degree blades that are now 7 degree which I found that my little mill likes best. ;D

bags

In that closeup pic of your blade stop--- it looks like your 1" stone does a nice job.

DDW_OR

Quote from: bags on April 26, 2017, 09:18:06 PM

I like the idea of one sharpener for two things.

"I grind the micro cracks out of the gullet with a dremmel"
maybe have a wider grinding wheel that is shaped for the band blade?
"let the machines do the work"

DDW_OR

my sharpener came with the Timberking when we got it new.

"let the machines do the work"

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

fishfighter

Quote from: Darrel on April 27, 2017, 05:45:01 PM
My old woodmizer sharpener

https://youtu.be/MDXdkY1dj6Q

And the duel tooth setter I made

https://youtu.be/rfhaoXh0xTE

If only I had the money to spend, but I only saw for myself. ;D Got a pineywoods setter that I made. ;D

Darrel

Hey Fishfighter, if you look closely, you'll see that my setter is basically a Pineywoods setter that I mounted on a frame and put a couple of handles on.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

bags

Thanks for pull'in up the picture DDW_OR.

I'm gonna check around and see if I can match a wider wheel up to the grinder so I can get farther into the gullet. It takes a 7/8's arbor and the wheel is 5 3/4" so I'm think'in I might have quit the time find'in what I want for the job.

fishfighter

Check ebay. A bunch come with inserts.

bandmiller2

Bags, 7/8" is kinda a standard size for wheels. They are held on with a collar and a hex head screw, you will need to find a longer screw, probably metric. Just for chuckles try sharpening only the face with the setup you have, you may find you get many sharpening's. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!