iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Did something dumb today.

Started by firefighter ontheside, February 26, 2019, 10:48:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Wait, are you telling me that little bitty JD had to pull that big orange beast out of the bog? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on October 16, 2020, 01:42:29 PM
I built a shed on my tilt deck bobcat trailer. I planned to pull it off the trailer deck by chaining it to a tree and slowly drive away.
We jacked it up and put some 3"x12" oak dowel rollers under the runners and I pulled it off the trailer. very slowly, so we could place some 1 1/2"x6" x12" paver blocks under the white oak runners.

It all went very smooth and the shed ended up exactly were I wanted it.

I was driving my pickup truck.
Now, here comes the dump part.
Once on the ground, the chain was tight from the shed runners to the tree. I hadn't planed on how to disconnect the chain.
I should have put a chain binder between the tree and the shed up tight so I could have loosened up the chain with making the binder longer.
We had to drive around and try and pull the shed closer to the tree to get the chain loose enough to disconnect.
Well, that didn't work. I pulled the chain hooks right out of the runners.
But, I got the chains back and off the tree.

Jim Rogers
Next time you cant unhook a chain, try driving the pin out of the clevis hook with a little oil.  Unless its guitar string tight this is usually not too hard. Getting something propped under the nearby links helps to stop it from boinging too much.  
Praise The Lord

Jim_Rogers

Thanks for that advice.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Magicman

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on October 17, 2020, 10:37:22 PMWait, are you telling me that little bitty JD had to pull that big orange beast out of the bog?
No, the "rest of the story" was total humiliation.  For payment Orange had to baby sit da Green Children and Reply #1124 above she is getting ready to change da diaper on da little Greenie.  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

thecfarm

Pulled the cable out of the 3 pt winch this morning.
I am cuttings down by the road, I want a better view of the meadow on the way down and the field coming up. It's a slight drop off and of course big rocks. One tree slipped behind another tree as I was winching it in. So I thought I will just drive up the hill some and I can winch it up the hill just enough to get from behind the tree. I kept the cable hooked onto the tree and started up the hill. The cable got behind a big rock and I did not really think that would matter. I must of had about 75 feet of cable out and tried to go another 75 feet up the hill. I was almost there when I ran out of cable, 150 feet. Did not cost me money, just time and 6 inches of cable after I cut the end off for a nice clean cut and fit. I went to the tractor shed and looked in the toolbox for the allen wrench, I thought I should have it in there and it was. Not a big deal, but it's nice to have the right size tools when needed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

I rounded the bend on Bent Mountain Road just before 8:00 a.m. this morning about 3 miles from my customer's site and caught a full eye full of direct sunlight. I slowed and pulled too far to the right to avoid hitting any on-coming traffic. Turns out the shoulder was about 12" wide if that, no guard rail and a steep drop off. I skidded a few feet to a stop and ended up resting with all 4 wheels off the ground and resting on the axles. If the truck had rolled there is nothing to indicate I would have stopped before rolling multiple times. I am convinced a 10 year old could have pushed it over as it was just teetering.

I called my customer to let him know I would be late and he offered to come right over with his big tractor. He showed up 15-20 minutes later with his helper following. He hooked to the rear end of my truck but when he put pressure on it the front slid further over the abyss so we stopped, I called and woke up my wife to call our local wrecker - I did not have their number accessible. She called back with the number and them wanting me to call so I did. Within 30 minutes the guy showed up with a rollback. He assessed the situation and decided we needed to pull the front and back at the same time and hooked a snatch block to a tree on the hillside above. He first started to hook to a dead 10" ash tree and I stopped him and pointed it out so he hoked further up to a sturdy maple, hooked to my truck pulled and promptly broke his new winch cable. I was certain my truck was going over the hill then but it did not. Finally he hooked the front of my truck to his rollback and my customer hooked his big tractor to the rear and they both pulled and eventually got it back on the road. My biggest fear was the truck would just spin on the chain from the tractor and chain from the rollback like a  button spinning on a string. It was an absolute nail biter I would not wish on anyone! There was no apparent damage to the undercarriage or body damage. We spotted fluid on the ground but turned out was just a small amount of gasoline from my cans that had laid on their side. We all left and got to the work site about 2 hours late.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

samandothers

Well you rolled down a hill recently so you were due to catch a break!!  Sorry you had the excitement.  Glad it turned out well.  

Southside

Yikes WV!!!  Glad to hear in the end it all worked out.  How much of a drop off is right there? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WV Sawmiller

The first drop off was 10-12 ft with a steep angle. I would be surprised if I had stopped rolling in under 100'. I an sure the truck would have rolled at least 5-6 times.
Howard Green

Old Greenhorn

Geez man! Holy cow that was close. Sometimes it is better to be be lucky than good. Today you were lucky. Man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

OGH,

That's a fact. While waiting on the wrecker the customer's helper walked over and rested his hand on the truck and I told him "Please don't do that!" 
Howard Green

Southside

Ya know WV - thinking about it you and @goose63 would make a great team.  Seems things roll over around you a lot - hard to do that in North Dakota.  I bet Sampson would have a great time.  Some awesome fishing!!  Just saying, perhaps take a look at places that are less gravity impacted than where you are now.  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

I'm glad it was no worse than it was, WV. That sun thing can be quite a problem. Something about this time of year right now seems to put the sun at that low angle at the time we are all out traveling in the morning and the evening. Starting a couple hours late isn't so bad considering the other possibilities. 
HM126

SawyerTed

Whew!  Glad it turned out okay!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WDH

Howard, you are starting to have too many new adventures. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

might need a salve for the bottom of your truck "between" the tires.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Dang  not a good way to strart a day!!  Glad all is well.

firefighter ontheside

Yikes.  Glad you did not go for a roll.  I've seen a lot in your predicament and I've seen a lot that went on down the hill.  I'm a battalion chief and when I'm off sometimes one of my captains fills in as the BC.  One guy always has the worst calls when he's filling in.  A few years ago on an icy day he was at a wreck very similar to yours.  The driver of the wrecked vehicle was sitting in the wrecker while his vehicle was being pulled.  My captain was standing there watching and noticed that wrecker started to move on the ice.  He yelled at the person sitting inside to get out.  The guy jumped out right before the wrecker went right over the edge and rolled at least once.  Then they had to get one of those huge wreckers to get the tow truck out and the original car.  No one was hurt.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

WV Sawmiller

While I was sawing today my customer had a friend come over and he was describing my accident/near miss to him and the man told us a couple years ago a guy went over the hill in or near the same place under the same circumstances - blinded by bright morning sunlight, no shoulder on the road, no guard rails and a steep bank.
Howard Green

Don P

I had a similar one a few years ago. A winding road above a creek, I was within a mile of the job, a truck was coming at me with a gooseneck on, he was in that "close to home and just hopped in the truck" morning fog and was taking his half out of the middle so over the side I went. He's a good guy and usually a good driver, he drives for one of the nearby dairies but we all space out every now and then. He stopped, very apologetic and tried to pull me but it was obvious real quick that was going to roll my truck so we went and got my client with his truck and he chained to my front and kept it from going down while the neighbor pulled on my rear. Definitely not the way you want to start the day.

WV Sawmiller

Sounds similar to mine as to the recovery. Wrecker guy had his rollback hooked to the front and tractor to the rear. As the tractor pulled the wrecker eased off the rollback but kept tension on it all the time.

I used to think it was funny when Danny Devito or Joe Peshi of someone would run off a bridge or something and just be teetering there and breathing a big sigh or relief then a fly would come light on the car and would be just enough to make it fall on over. I will think of yesterday morning every time I see one of those movies and they probably won't be quite as funny as they used to be.
Howard Green

doc henderson

felt like I was in the zone, finishing the bar tops for my cousin Mike.  was kerfing the miter joint, and felt like my blade was too coarse and dull, so got a new carbide tipped high tooth count blade.  hade to make temporary brackets to pull it together.  got bolts to go through the holes to pull together.  My Dad, Great uncle Bill and Uncle jerry would be proud that I used some scraps of an old bed frame to make the brackets.  getting stuff done and taking names ect. ect.
after changing the blade and pulling miter together, I made the cut, but had not tightened the saw base.  

cut through the bolt with a new blade.  OMG was only part of the phrase I used.  

It was otherwise going well.  I had to flip the tops to put the brackets on the bottom.  these will be used to glue it up on site and then removed.  I though no big deal to have some holes on the bottom.  could only flip one at a time since the miter points would be in the inside corner.  

looks pretty good.  oh and could not find the pic where I forgot to flip the second top, so I have some holes to fill on what will be the top of the bar.  should make for a good story.  OMG.  There, now don't the rest of you feel better now!

:(   :)    :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Nebraska

Well that might shorten sawblade life a little. Its just the first funny story that bar top will hear, may it have many more....looks good btw.

Thank You Sponsors!