iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

River trees

Started by ArnoldFarms, March 15, 2014, 08:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnoldFarms

Here is a picture of a tree that is in a river at the back of my property. It's called the Kaney River.  Do you guys think it would be worth hauling it out and sawing it or not. I'm not sure what kind of tree it is. Looks like it's been there a while.  It's in the water most of the year.  The one things I'm worried about is the sand and mud.  As you can tell its a muddy river.  Have any of you guys sawn downed river bottem trees before that were literally in the water.  Just curious if you fellas with experience think it would be worth the trouble.  The tree is either Cottenwood, Oak, Pecan (probably)

Thanks for the help.
Faith, Family, Job

Magicman

Yes, I have sawn many that have been lassoed and towed to shore, tied to trees until the water went down, and then bunched for sawing.  Pecan, Willow, Poplar, Honey Locust, and whatever else.  It helps to hose or pressure wash them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmarch

The guy with a jet boat on Axmen (Shelly) would steal that and laugh about it all the way home.  Pressure wash it and go to work.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Magicman

Notice the sand/dirt/grit on the log in Reply #11 fourth picture.   ;D  LINK  If I remember correctly, there was also ~300 bf in that log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

Theres a lot of sand, wash it good :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ArnoldFarms

Very nice link MM!  Thank you.  Hopefully those oaks and other trees will have some nice color.
Faith, Family, Job

ReggieT

How about if you're just sawing em for firewood...still hose or power wash them down?? :-\

Chop Shop

Not from the river, but I have about 50 logs here that were in Lake Union in Seattle for about 75 years.  Cedar, Fir, Hemlock.

The fir and hemlock have a little color on the dges but not to spectacular.  The cedar tho has a very rich blueish/slate color down the middle and the sapwood is darker then the heart.

Seems to cut fine.  Rock solid like new wood.

Its funny you post this.  I just got home from the lake looking at driftwood.  The lake is very high right now and had dislodged ALLOT of floaters and gathered them up in one cove.

pine

Chop Shop
How did you come to get those trees?  How would a person go about doing the same?  There is a lot of potential in those type/age of trees.

redbeard

There was a fellow who was milling some old growth Doug fir that was dug up from a dike along Skagit river. Lots of color when it was first milled.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Chop Shop

They were the supports holding up a house that was built over the lake in the 30s.   A friend with a crane/house moving company was replacing them with steel structure.   They lifted the house off the poles and set it to the side and started building a new structure.

They have been cut to 8-12 foot lengths.  The lower portions were in the ground/mud and the middle in the lake.   A few of them were layed on top horizontally.  The lake rises/falls over the course of the year so those went from exposed to wet for several years.

I have removed allot of steel from them before milling.   Some very cool forged spikes and old boom spikes came out of some of them.

The fir and hemlock have nice wormholes too.  No black in the holes like I have seen other times.  The worm holes are so smooth inside you can count the grain lines inside the holes!

Ill have to put up some pics if I get a chance.

bandmiller2

Arnold, really unless your hard up for logs I'd pass on that rascal. Make a couple of log length cuts with the chainsaw if the wood looks special, mill it, other wise let it keep you warm next winter. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ArnoldFarms

Thanks Frank C.  I think I'll try that.  Here is a picture of a good patch of White oaks (and some red I think) below my house. (You can kinda see my house between the trees.  The trees are big and straight.  Maybe I should just start with those.  I'll be getting my LT40 hyd. on Thurs.  can't wait. 
Chop-what do you do with your drift wood. I would like to see some pics!!!

Faith, Family, Job

Chop Shop

Quote from: ArnoldFarms on March 16, 2014, 06:59:15 PM
Chop-what do you do with your drift wood. I would like to see some pics!!!

Mostly just look for ones big enough to saw into slabs.  I usually just end up with a wet boot or two!   Gives me a reason to walk around the lakes.

Im not very artistic, so no cool pics of carvings or artsy stuff!

dboyt

Hard to get a sense of size from the photo, but I wouldn't hesitate to drag a log like that home to find out what's inside.  Looks like you've go some salvage work to do on your woodlot.  Careful with those dead limbs.  They can come down without warning.  Good luck with your new sawmill.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

kczbest

I would pull it out and mill it. There could be something beautiful inside, but if you never open it up you will never know.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

Thank You Sponsors!