iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

replacing files: stihl wood file handles

Started by buckthorn, November 22, 2013, 02:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckthorn

So a few months ago I bought one of those Stihl hand file kits that comes with files on wooden handles. Now the round file needs to be replaced. Can you replace the files on these wooden handles?This may seems like a silly question, but how do I get the old file off and put the new one in without busting the handle? Or do I need to get a new plastic handle?

beenthere

Believe they are just driven on, so need to be driven back off.

Shouldn't take much tapping to get it to come off.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

buckthorn

Thanks, neighbor. Knowing me, I'll probably bust it after a few whacks (I mean taps). There's a metal collar on there, too. Does that have to be pulled off first?

Quote from: beenthere on November 22, 2013, 02:50:51 PM
Believe they are just driven on, so need to be driven back off.

Shouldn't take much tapping to get it to come off.

beenthere

QuoteThere's a metal collar on there, too. Does that have to be pulled off first

Drive on that collar and it will go off with the handle.
Put the file in a vise, and use a short piece of wood behind that collar and tap the handle off. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

buckthorn

thanks! I owe you a beer @Coach's!

Quote from: beenthere on November 22, 2013, 03:10:05 PM
QuoteThere's a metal collar on there, too. Does that have to be pulled off first

Drive on that collar and it will go off with the handle.
Put the file in a vise, and use a short piece of wood behind that collar and tap the handle off.

luvmexfood

Do the old time thing. Get you a dry corn cob. Best file handle out there. LOL>
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

HolmenTree

A pair of pliers gripped on the file tang against the file handle ,then prying down with the pliers which is  resting on the handle pulls the file out easy as pie.
Most times I don't need the pliers , just wiggle the file out by hand. Best pliers are side cutters to grip the file tang, just don't snip the tang off :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Philbert

Open the jaws of a vise slightly larger than the file diameter. Set the file in loosely from the top. Grab the far end of the file with a Vise-Grip. Tap the handle off against the vise jaws.

If the tang of the new file is too loose in the handle, stick a toothpick in the hole first.

Philbert

deerslayer

A golf ball makes a great file handle. Looks weird but works great and cheap too. Just drill a hole in the ball and stick it on the file.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

HolmenTree

Quote from: deerslayer on November 24, 2013, 11:44:06 PM
A golf ball makes a great file handle. Looks weird but works great and cheap too. Just drill a hole in the ball and stick it on the file.
I tried that once too, but found that it didn't give me good lateral control as a good straight handle does......but then maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, practice makes perfect :D 
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

LeeB

I just make file handles out of table saw scraps.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!