iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling crotches

Started by taylorsmissbeehaven, April 04, 2013, 02:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I price mine from $3.00 to $3.75 per BF unless it is walnut.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Red Clay Hound

Speaking of walnut crotches... I sawed these a couple weeks ago.  Got five 3" thick crotches out of this log and they are sold already!   :) :) :)

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

5quarter

Brian... those are some really nice slabs! What are you're plans for them? use some? sell some? I price mine individually, based on thickness size and quality of the figure. They're worth whatever the market will bear in your area. could be $20., could be $120.   
I saw alot of crotches and saw them both horizontal and vertical. Horizontal will give you flame figure and vertical will give you clamshell figure. both are gorgeous, but very different. Boards cut in the vertical plane are a little harder to dry and in some species simply blow apart (cherry comes to mind >:().
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Wow Tony, those are beautiful!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

taylorsmissbeehaven

Thanks for the advice 5quarter, I plan to make a couple of tables for myself and I may put a couple on craigslist just to see what happens. Thanks WDH, that's good to know. I'll try and price accordingly if I sell any. Great slabs Red Clay Hound! I hope to run across some walnut here before long. Thanks again for all the help,Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

dboyt

Greg, always good to see what a fellow Norwood sawyer is doing.  I tried something like that... once.  The wood spun on me and destroyed the blade.  Maybe I should give it another go.  I'm guessing you need to feed it real slow.  You'll have to come to Missouri to collect your $50 in person.  Red Clay Hound, those are beauties!  Some of the nicest pieces I've seen.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

terrifictimbersllc

Crotch in a notch, helps if it weighs 1000#, this one stayed put until the last 2 boards. Newport, RI copper beech. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

shelbycharger400

yep, sometimes with the ingrown bark, it will split along that path, and open up.

Greg Brown

Quote from: dboyt on April 07, 2013, 06:05:13 PM
Greg, always good to see what a fellow Norwood sawyer is doing.  I tried something like that... once.  The wood spun on me and destroyed the blade. 

Hello, dboyt
I will only use this setup to cut cedar since it is soft. I don't think I would try this arrangement with a harder wood.
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

Red Clay Hound

On a difficult to handle piece, I will sometimes use some long deck screws to attach a wide board to the bottom of the log and then clamp the board.  Many times this will at least allow you to take a cut or two until you have a flat surface and then you can flip it over and clamp it.  That's how I started on the crotch pictured above.  Just make sure you don't saw into the screws!  It will make you lose your religion. :D
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Thank You Sponsors!