iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sander plans

Started by twobears, June 30, 2007, 06:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twobears

does anybody have plans to build a drum sander?? i,am looking for the one that has the drum under a top with a slot for the drum to come thur...sorry,i don,t know the proper name.

delbert

metalspinner

I've got a Finewoodworking book with two plans for drum sanders.  One is made of sheet stock and works with a wedge under the bed to lift the bed closer to the drum.  The other is made of steel angel with a bit of welding. The bed is raised with roller chain and thread rod.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Larry

Your probably talking about this thing.

http://www.stockroomsupply.com/V_Drum_Sander.php

Somebody told me there is a model that sits on top of the table saw with a belt to the arbor so you don't even need to get a motor.

I helped a guy build one a while back.  Worked ok but I much prefer a stroke sander...and wish I had the money for a wide belt.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

twobears

LARRY:that would be it.i found plans on the web awhile back,,but,now i can,t seen to find them.
GUYS:thanks for the info.

delbert

brdmkr

I saw some plans for a homemade drum sander and was considering it, BUT that site that Larry provided gave me a better idea.  That one looks alot easier to build and without a power feed, it would do as well as the other sander I had in mind.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

JimBuis

If you have a lathe, you can build a drum sander to fit on that. It works okay if you just need it occasionally. Otherwise, I find it frustrating.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

beenthere

Jim
Don't need a lathe to turn the drums. Using a block of wood with sandpaper on it, the wood drums are sanded down to exact size while spinning on the stand. Makes them true with the table.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

BT, He means to use a lathe as the power unit for the drum sander. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!