iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Everyone Expert

Started by QuintonAlame, January 10, 2011, 01:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuintonAlame

First let me thank this forum for letting me in. I been reading and getting info from this site for a few days then decided to join.  My issue is everyone is a expert when it comes to chainsaws. My buddy is a person who if you did it he did it better types.  His dads electric 14 in craftsman is just as good as a stihl farm boss. Im shure you catch my drift.  I own  STIHL 880 6ft bar, 660 42in bar, 460 30in bar,  270 16in bar, 170 14in bar,  I love stihl saws got the money to throw at them cause they make me money. Everyone that sees my saws ask the price and act like hell froze over.  They say I just buying a name.  I try to explain.  I just landed a job to clear a 100 acre timber.  They say ther dads Craftsman saw will do the job as well as any stihl like I said they say stihl is just a name Spend less and go to big box store.  Let me know what you think.  I want some opinions from people who really know not weekend cutters.

Kevin

Welcome to the forum, I think you might have answered your own question.
Pro saws are just that and anyone that makes a living with a saw will tell you that.
If you do saw part time you can probably get away with using a part time saw.

Raider Bill

Quinton,

I'm not even a weekend cutter but want to welcome you to the forum anyway.

I do own 2 Stihls and a Husky.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.
My advice on aging gracefully... ride fast bikes and date faster women, drink good tequila, practice your draw daily, be honest and fair in your dealings, but suffer not fools. Eat a hearty breakfast, and remember, ALL politicians are crooks.

fishpharmer

What do you mean, an electric craftsmen isn't as good as a Stihl 880?   :D

Just kidding, really.  Welcome to a great forum.   8)

I saw some on the weekends or anytime, mostly around mill, farm and firewood cutting.  Not a pro by any stretch, I have a lot to learn.
I have a lot of respect for you guys that make a living with a saw.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Al_Smith

Quote from: QuintonAlame on January 10, 2011, 01:39:17 PM
My buddy is a person who if you did it he did it better types.  His dads electric 14 in craftsman is just as good as a stihl farm boss. Im shure you catch my drift.  I own  STIHL 880 6ft bar, 660 42in bar, 460 30in bar,  270 16in bar, 170 14in bar, 
Well I suppose given enough time with perhaps enough extension cords a Craftsman electric could knock down a100 acres of timber .It might need to be replaced a few dozen times though before the job is done some time in the next ten years though .

Out of curiosity why in the world would you hang a 60 " bar on an 880,a 42 on a 660 and a 30 on a 460 ?  Never being in that neck of the woods I certainly wouldn't think the tree sizes  equal those of Vancouver Island . Even more surprising to me is why pray tell would a person buy 3000 dollars worth of pro quality saws then round out the bottom with home owner types .I'm confused . ???

Cut4fun

Man I wish I had a little fishing smiley from a boat right now to use.  :D   :D

beenthere

Quinton
I think from what I've read in your first post that you have a good idea what side your bread is buttered and don't need additional support from the opinions of naysayers. :)  We get the same sticks poked in our eyes about buying green tractors.  ;D ;D  (little do they know, or are just jealous :) )

Don't yield to peer pressure. Learn and take what you want from what they say. i.e. stand solid on your own two feet.

Welcome to the forum. Will enjoy hearing more about your fleet of saws and your "attack" on the 100 acres.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 10, 2011, 02:11:19 PM

Out of curiosity why in the world would you hang a 60 " bar on an 880,a 42 on a 660 and a 30 on a 460 ?  Never being in that neck of the woods I certainly wouldn't think the tree sizes  equal those of Vancouver Island . Even more surprising to me is why pray tell would a person buy 3000 dollars worth of pro quality saws then round out the bottom with home owner types .I'm confused . ???
Well said Al :D I was thinking the exact same thing.

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Hey now there's nothing wrong with green tractors .I have a couple myself .Fact is they were brand new in 1947 and 1954 respectfully . 8)

HolmenTree

Welcome to the site Quinton. There are alot of "pros"on here who don't know what a "dull chain" is.

Willard :)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 10, 2011, 02:49:17 PM
Hey now there's nothing wrong with green tractors .I have a couple myself .Fact is they were brand new in 1947 and 1954 respectfully . 8)
My dads classics were a D, AR and the R.

Willard

tlandrum

i got to agree with al, my smallest saw is an ms260 and i try to stay with pro saws no matter the size
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Paul_H

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 10, 2011, 02:11:19 PM
Out of curiosity why in the world would you hang a 60 " bar on an 880,a 42 on a 660 and a 30 on a 460 ? .I'm confused . ???

Chainsaw mill,alaskan or similar would be my guess.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

We had a 60" bar with an outboard handle that we ran on a big old mac at the mill for double end trimming bundles of lumber. Don't ask me what mac it was, cause I never cared enough to learn the last name of a chainsaw, or give them one for that matter. ;)    Oh, it was yellow.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

lumberjack48

I carried a saw for a living, most people have no idea how hard a feller works or how much he knows or how dangerous it really is.
I used to just let these kind of guys talk, i new better.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ianab

My buddy has a 60" bar on his Husky 3120 - as a firewood saw.  :D

And has had to make felling cuts from both side of trees with THAT.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Al_Smith

Well I'm not disputing the guy  just asking a question . About the only one that makes a 60 inch would be Cannon and that alone would be a kings ransome .Probabley close to 200 driver lengths on a .404 chain and heaven knows how many dozen if it were 3/8" .Imagine laying the file to that one.A dozen files and at least a 12 pack not to mention a  whole afternoon .Worse yet toting that monster to the job site .It wouldn't even fit in my Ranger lest it hang out the tailgate with a red flag on it .Wouldn't that impress the neighbors . :D

In good humor though it would be a better choice to use the buddys dads electric to pop a couple little trees as have the old man try and trim the apple tree in the back yard with an 880 standing on a step ladder .Ponder that thought . 8)

Ianab

Right tool for the job  ;)

Pruning apple trees - Electric jobby will get R done before we get the big saw gassed up and started.

But look a bit silly standing there beside a 6ft DBH cypress with it  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ErikC

How about an 18v rechargable? No cord to tether you, just go crazy :D  In fact I have one for pruning and little jobs here and there on the place, like cutting a fence board or something. Pretty handy little guy. About 8" bar.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Jeff

My 80+ year old friend lou has one of those too. Keeps it on his quad. Lou can't pull start a saw to speak of any longer, but that little cordless comes in handy for getting small stuff he encounters cut out of his couple miles of trails.  He's got me for the big stuff. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

stump farmer

I think if you don't cut much or for long periods the difference between pro and weekend might not be too apparent. Run a saw everyday, all day for a while and things like vibration, ease of chain adjustment, air filters that last a full shift, ease of starting, ability to idle in any position and ease of maintenance become essential. After a while vibration, not noticed at first, will leave your left hand unable to open on it's own. A saw that I've hiked out to a site and then will not hold an idle without spinning the chain or dies after a sudden full throttle let off will make the job much harder and ultimately will cost in time. That high dollar pro saw is worth every penny if used a lot and on larger jobs IMO. I think a pro saw is also worth the money if the owner just simply wants a quality piece of engineered equipment, never mind what the real need may be.

John R

IMHO, You have the very best saws money can buy.
John

Sthil MS 361 20" Bar
Sthil MS 260 PRO 16" Bar
Oregon 511 AX Chain Grinder

smalldog

The question asking us if we agree with you on your HUGE saw purchases reminded me of a saying: "Never explain--your friends don't need it and your enemies won't believe you anyway" by Elbert Hubbard :)
Hang in there body...just a little further to go.

Thank You Sponsors!