iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

maybe oak? red elm?

Started by iwearhats, February 27, 2023, 07:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwearhats

A lot of stuff came down in a storm recently. Does this look like oak? If so, which kind?

KEC

Some kind of oak in the Red Oak group, others will be along soon.

Don P

Looking at the form and location only I was going to guess its a burr oak. Are there any caps or leaves around it.

iwearhats

A couple of things are making me second guess my ID of red oak. Although the buds are alternate lateral, I usually see several terminal buds. Everywhere I look on these logs, there is a single terminal.

Red Elm? maybe?

Don P

You'll need to get a good clear, close, end grain pic or eyeball on it. If it is elm it will have a wavy ulmiform pore pattern. There are good examples here;
red elm (hobbithouseinc.com)

If you see distinct rays, its an oak.

KEC

You have me doubting what I said about the red oak group. Northern Red Oak, when cut, smells sort of like corn silage, if you are familiar with that. 

iwearhats

It's Siberian Elm. The buds match.

Don P

Cool! It looks like it might be pretty heartwood

low_48

It doesn't hold that color when it dries out. It's still nice, but more muted.

SwampDonkey

Looks like an elm from here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

Quote from: Don P on March 07, 2023, 07:51:30 AM
Cool! It looks like it might be pretty heartwood
Quote from: iwearhats on March 06, 2023, 10:57:30 PM
It's Siberian Elm. The buds match.

I've been told that by the experts here a few times so i definetely believe it although i grew up always calling it Chinese Elm, which is acually a shrubby little yard ornament thing, sort of?

iwearhats

Quote from: sandhills on March 11, 2023, 07:28:09 PMI've been told that by the experts here a few times so I definitely believe it although i grew up always calling it Chinese Elm

Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia, is different.
Quote from: low_48 on March 08, 2023, 12:13:23 AMIt doesn't hold that color when it dries out. It's still nice, but more muted.

I'm not so sure about that. Siberian elm is easily confused with Chinese elm. I know the heartwood of the later is really muted when dry. However, google images shows some SE slabs that retain a nice deep heartwood color, so the answer is not quite clear. I assume that many trees could also be hybrids, which might explain some variability. In the area where I am located, we have plenty of SE, but CE is really uncommon.

Thank You Sponsors!