iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT15Wide Cheap Lubrication Solenoid Mod

Started by Pepe_Silvia, November 23, 2019, 07:15:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pepe_Silvia

Thought I'd share this ~$20 modification I did on my LT15Wide.  I don't cut a whole bunch but I had the habit of forgetting to shut off my drip and coming out the next day to an empty water tank.  With this setup, the lubrication will only flow when the ignition is on.  I left the original valve in place too so I can control flow.

1/2" NPT 12V Normally Solenoid - $15.99 (Amazon)
1/2" NPT x 3/8" Barbed Adapters x 2 - $3.69 each (Lowes)

There was an unused hole on the motor mount plate that I was able to take advantage of.  It worked out so that hole and another hole that had a p-clamp for the lube hose were a perfect spacing that I could use two p-clamps to hold the solenoid in place.

Wired the power to an unused (yellow) wire coming off the harness which is connected to ACC on the ignition.

Hope this helps someone. 

Woodmizer LT15Wide GO, John Deere 318D Skid Steer

donbj

Nice! I bought that same solenoid. I went one step further and installed it with a limit switch that is actuated when I throttle up and the motor lifts and pushes down the lever on the limit switch and only powers the solenoid when the saw is cutting.

Haven't tried it yet, had to remove it when I replaced my drive housing bearings.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

KYtoolsmith

Great idea! My mill is on a concrete slab and I too get a puddle if I forget to shut the valve. Wonder if it could be wired to the band clutch switch... That way it wouldn't be dripping as I back the head over the cant or when turning the cant.
Timberking 1220, JD 2032 w FEL/forks, 51 Ford 8n, 47 CJ2a, 51 GMC 100, 80 acres of forest farm.
Makin' sawdust!

donbj

It probably could, they don't draw much current. Can't remember what the specs were

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

donbj

Chuck White

Quote from: Pepe_Silvia on November 23, 2019, 07:15:29 PM

Wired the power to an unused (yellow) wire coming off the harness which is connected to ACC on the ignition.

Hope this helps someone.
If the mill has power feed, hook the wire to a connector that's only hot when the sawhead is moving forward!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!